• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do You Floss Before Or After Brushing?

before or after?

• Before

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • After

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Neither, No Floss

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
I’ve always flossed after brushing!! Just to make sure there isn’t anything still stuck between my teeth that my toothbrush missed.

I floss after brushing to remove plaque and any remaining pieces of food (if any).

I'm curious why one would floss first? 🤔

I floss after I brush, and then I rinse my mouth again to ensure there isn't any remaining plaque or food.

I'm curious why one would floss first? 🤔
my dentist told me to get the gunk out first that’s stuck between my teeth then brushing will be able to clean where the gunk was stuck. that was just his preference I guess? so that’s what I’ve stuck with. in the end, either or is better than no flossing.

I floss after, if at all. I understand the value of flossing but I often forget to do it.

I don’t floss at all, but if I did, it would be after brushing.

Last edited:
I floss after I brush. My logic that the floss will get anything that my brushing missed.

For the purposes of the poll I chose after, but I actually use a water pick. It's much more effective at getting debris out of my teeth and mouth, lol.

Always after! It's just a preference. I agree that flossing any time is better than not flossing at all! 😊

It really depends on my mood but ideally to do it before because I read that it’s better for you I think

I floss before brushing because I want to get whatever food particles out that I can so that the brush can clean more thoroughly. Upon looking into it after coming across this thread, that also seems to be the dentist recommended order and it looks like there's been at least a small study suggesting it's beneficial.

I also own a water flosser but I've never tried it thus far because I hear they're kind of messy to use and that keeps me from wanting to even bother. If I ever do work up the motivation to use it, though, I'd floss, follow it up with the water flosser and then finish by brushing.

I floss after brushing, then I use the little brosses to go between the teeth, and sometimes another tool...well it takes me at least 30min to brush my teeth

I recently got a water flossed so if I use that then before as I don’t want to wash off the toothpaste

I found that I still feel the need to floss with actual floss after though so after

I floss before as I was told to. Apparently everything has to be done before brushing (including mouthwash which I always did after 🙈) You learn something new everyday.

If I remember to floss I floss before I brush. Most of the time I forget.

I always floss after I do, I don’t know why but it just feels right. Though only at night however.

Back