• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you find Youtube as a waste of time?

I don't think so, I probably watched YouTube too much for my own good but there's little else to do these days. I don't watch the really big Youtubers only channels that cover what I'm interested in.

I don't but I'm pretty picky about what I watch and I don't fall into the YT rabbit hole of clicking on the next vid, partly out of spite for the company but also because I know it'll just be garbage. I almost exclusively watch my subs or use it for music and learning (not crazy, unverified conspiracy theories but things from respected and/or peer-reviewed publications).

Absolutely not. I follow many Youtube channels that help me distract myself during difficult times or when I’m stressed, I watch a lot of ASMR videos to help me relax and sleep, I love watching gameplay of my favorite games and then I love watching video clips of my favorite songs. Youtube is a magical world full of surprises, some communities are fantastic and I feel right at home

No I don't, I enjoy it. It's a good way to relax. And I also subscribe to a bunch of productivity/daily life vlog videos and I find them very inspiring/motivating and helpful to get me to do things in my own life and set goals.

i don’t but i also watch very few youtubers in different content areas so that’s probably why
i don’t bother exploring anymore because youtube isn’t as enjoyable as it once was so i just stick to the youtubers i know that won’t let me down.

Entertainment isn't a waste, we don't owe all of our time to self-improvement and employment.

It depends on what you’re using YouTube for. I watch motivational speakers and positivity videos for the most part. I also watch travel videos, and those have positivity in them related to the topic. I’ve found that watching positivity videos for the past three years has helped me a lot. It can be really helpful if you aren’t sucked into all the negative content the algorithm tries to recommend. I’m pretty sure everything can be a waste of time if you’re not pursuing what you actually want to do with your life. For example, going to college can be great if your dream is to become a doctor, but it’s a waste of time if you’re not interested in furthering your education. Some people have different dreams and that’s okay.

I rarely use youtube. I do plan on binge watching Bravest Warriors when I get my catbug squishable, which is on Youtube :). I go on it to watch some release footage for Last Cloudia gacha game as well.

I play some games that I need help with team building and some hard content and to my dismay a lot of people make youtube video guides which i have used only once. i like written guides so much better (as long as they are very specific what i need to do).

Youtube honestly kinda annoys me. At parties my friends play some videos that make me uncomfortable like LA Beast; I don’t see how seeing someone waste food is funny (especially when there are people starving around the world and even in our country). I admit I have no sense of humor.

what are your fav channels guys? It depends on the content you are subscribed to. There are many interesting scientific videos on youtube that are very useful if you are a student or you simply try to educate yourself. It also can be used to develop your business as Instagram and Facebook. My friend who is a businessman has all social media. Btw he uses this platform to manage all social media at one interface.

Last edited:
YouTube is a waste of time... Unless if it's my channel. Then you need to MaKe SuRe To SmAsH ThAt SuBsCrIbE BuTtOn

JK

In all seriousness recently I deleted the YouTube app from my phone which I previously had only done before really big exams. I found myself wasting too much time when it was easy access watching pointless videos that were hardly memorable when I'd close the app. There's plenty of good content on it and it can help me to feel less lonely these days but I want to focus more on spending time on content that adds more to my life and makes me feel better. I had a bad habit of reading comments too and it was making me get to bed late.

As others have said a lot of the trending/top content isn't good but there's so many helpful channels that can enrich your life. I just wasn't spending enough time on those and too much on videos that weren't good for me lol I also have ADHD which I think worsens it.

I want to put more time into things besides taking in YouTube content, like making things to put out into the world instead of just taking in what others have made. It can be difficult with my mood sometimes but I hope I can work through it slowly.

I find it to be a reasonable source of entertainment that I could just watch to pass my time while I'm having my meal in front of my computer. It's basically the boob tube of our modern generation.

Plus, it's not always a waste of time. That's kinda an insult to the countless hardworking YouTubers who've made many educational video essays on various topics; from film analysis to philosophy to history to autobiographies. I've learned more about film from YouTube than from my film school. It's not a perfect platform, especially the comment section, but it's one where people work hard to make it so. Kinda like America, really. *cue American flag waving behind me*

Over time I've seen YouTubers trying way too hard to be funny just to get more views or they try to pick fights with others just to start drama because apparently thats what their fans love to see. I look the comments section and its full of people supporting what they are doing which is troubling. I had to unsub so many YouTubers because none of them just interest me anymore and the content they put out just is not for me anymore.

I am someone who likes YouTubers who talk about important topics in a professional way and tries to look at both sides of the argument. The one YouTuber that does that very well is Philip Defracno. Also I like watching videos of gameplay videos of my favorite games being played by different people, however, if it sometimes is someone complaining about the game while playing and they just become unbearable to watch then I just find someone else.

YouTube back in the old days used to be where you can be original and still be liked by a lot of people, nowadays its just people trying to start drama for no reason, trying so hard to be edgy with their jokes because they still find that funny, and of course copying other YouTubers based on trends they are doing that makes them popular for the views. So yeah YouTube pretty much has become a waste of time, its hard to find actually good Content Creators who don't copy each other all the time.

Don't get me wrong there are very informative wonderful tutorials, but there's also the feel good, click bait videos like fitness, financial or self help gurus. I'd avoid them like the plague. You can easily spot them with their obnoxious thumbnails or when you realise they say common sense or generic vague answers followed by a sales pitch with their motivational music playing in the background. Once you clicked on one be prepared for the algorithm to bombard you with many for ages. Fun! 🙃

Don't get me wrong there are very informative wonderful tutorials, but there's also the feel good, click bait videos like fitness, financial or self help gurus.
That's why there's the "Subscribe" button for trusted channels. ;)

Like honestly, I barely even open YouTube's main page anymore; it's just straight to my Subscription page on my Chrome YouTube shortcut.

That's why there's the "Subscribe" button for trusted channels. ;)
In every intro its always "If you enjoy the video, please consider Subscribing to the channel and leave a like on the video!" What annoys me about this is that its always in the beginning of the video instead at the end of the video. Like do I really need to be reminded everytime I watch a new video to hear that sentence? I get it its for the new people who are watching your content, but still it can get overused. I seen some creators overusing it in their videos like you're watching it, but in the middle they tell you that same sentence.

Now don't get me wrong I get why they do this, they do it just to get more people to subscribe to the channel and help it grow I don't have a problem with that, what I do have a problem with is when they keep on reminding those who are already subscribed the same stuff over and over again. I hope that made more sense, because man I have to keep skipping ahead in the video everytime I hear that sentence it drives me crazy.

In every intro its always "If you enjoy the video, please consider Subscribing to the channel and leave a like on the video!" What annoys me about this is that its always in the beginning of the video instead at the end of the video. Like do I really need to be reminded everytime I watch a new video to hear that sentence? I get it its for the new people who are watching your content, but still it can get overused. I seen some creators overusing it in their videos like you're watching it, but in the middle they tell you that same sentence.
Yeah, my trusted subscriptions don't ever use that phrase at the beginning of the video, if ever. Those who use that phrase this way sounds like clickbait channels I don't subscribe to. The ones I subscribe to are informative video essayists who have a lot of intelligent and fruitful thoughts about filmmaking and geek culture in general, not to bait people into subscribing. I have no interest at all in clickbait channels like Logan Paul and his legion of copycats.

Honestly though, I think it depends on your interest. I find Instagram and Pinterest to be a bigger waste of time for me, but they might be more helpful for artists who want inspirations for their art and stuff, something I don't need since I don't draw.

Back