• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you find Youtube as a waste of time?

Poppies_92

Peace & Harmony
Bells
I recently realized Youtube content of my homepage is really horrible... drama, politics, click bate etc... in things I enjoy. I recently felt that maybe being on this website has become bad and a waste of time. I don't want to go on a rant but thoughts?

It is for me. I used it years ago frequently, but stopped once it became garbage. Nowadays I only look for new videos from a select few channels (Studio Yuraki, NateWantsToBattle/Give Heart Records, and Quackity).

i don’t. granted, i only use it for music, tv show/movie clips and other entertainment but i enjoy it. :)

It might help if you have a secondary account that's just for the random videos or just watch those videos in incognito so it doesn't mess up your recommended videos. Mostly I just use it for music now but I'm probably going to switch to Spotify soon.

I hate how the recommended videos are just hot garbage or stuff I literally just watched and Youtube is recommending it to me again. I only watch a few select channels now

My homepage is also super boring. It keeps showing stuff I saw or stuff I'm not interested in. Nothing new that's interesting.
But I still use Youtube as, like, my TV. Rarely I find any good new thing to watch but I'll just play stuff I saw a long time ago for background noise or listen to some music there.

i used to spend hours on youtube watching the trending and gaming videos but now i mostly just watch music stuff on yt. i also sometimes watch videos in my recommendations that consist of weird memes but i rarely watch any trending videos because in imo none of those videos are interesting. im subbed to like 100 different people, if they post something good i'll watch.

watching most youtubers yes which i don't do anyway except like preganant dude lol.

i only use it for music and old japanese tv shows lol

not really. I watch shows on there and some gaming videos, stuff like that. I use it pretty often and some shows and games I couldn't watch without it.

I primarily follow channels that report news or provide information relating to my field (health sciences) and interests (fiction writing, body modification, etc), so I find it to be a useful platform.

I go on Youtube to watch some channels including youtubers like EmmyMade, SuperRaeDizzle, Izzzyzzzs, and iilluminaughtii =, Other than that though, I rarely watch gaming channels anymore.

My YouTube recommendations are very finely tuned toward things I enjoy these days. Honestly, I watch YouTube almost exclusively and haven't had a cable subscription for a long time. I only have streaming services because my family uses them, but I don't, really. The thing is though that YouTube content is relatively disposable to me... could take it or leave it. I'm not loyal to any particular channels. If I didn't have YouTube I'd probably play more video games in my spare time instead, which would be a net positive.

Vanilla youtube is truly awful. I spent a VERY long time subbing to interesting channels (and blocking most of the suggested ones) in order to finally get to a place where my homepage isn't complete garbage. I'm at the point now where I've ALMOST beaten the algorithm and can avoid most of the generic youtube content. But, it's been literally years in the making. It wasn't an easy process, and it didn't happen over night.

Last edited:
YouTube still has plenty of great content out there but I agree that it has definitely become a lot harder to find it. I mostly stick to the channels I know, I don't watch anything from the "trending" page or anything like that. I try to discover new channels either from people I know or from when a channel I like suggests another channel. I find that the easiest way to get good content without having to do a lot of work sifting through garbage lol

i only use it for music, tv and nintendo annoucements since i don't use twitter so i find it pretty useful

no, since i watch youtube exclusively. i haven't watched a tv show in two years now, and i haven't watched a new one in even longer. there could be zero tvs in my house and i'd neither notice nor care. last week was the first time i'd watched a movie in a similar amount of time, if not longer.

i don't get the generic YT content or even look at the trending page. there are about a dozen channels i watch regularly (and a dozen more i'm subscribed to), and if i have nothing to watch currently i just go back and watch through some of their older series that i enjoyed. (e.g. marks's fnaf playlist, sparklez's among us streams.)

Watching celebrity interviews is such a waste of time but tbh it's the only thing I look forward to

I recently realized Youtube content of my homepage is really horrible... drama, politics, click bate etc... in things I enjoy. I recently felt that maybe being on this website has become bad and a waste of time. I don't want to go on a rant but thoughts?
U are definitely following the wrong people.

YouTube has tons of great reviews, video essays, and documentaries.

For the most part, if I go to YouTube, it's for a specific thing. I pretty much use it for tutorials, which are helpful, but I don't subscribe to channels or follow anyone regularly.

I wouldn't say it's addicting but for some reason, I am always wasting my time there...

YTime.png

I usually watch informational stuff or listen to music since I have it on in the background while working/gaming.

Isn't everything a waste of time in the grand scheme of things? lol

Last edited:
Back