• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you find Youtube as a waste of time?

Absolutely, but mostly because I have a hard time being disciplined with how much I use it. I tried to use it for education, but then I was like, that’s what books are for!

I like youtube. I'm subbed to a lot of really neat channels, and it's nice to have something to watch sometimes, especially since I don't have television. I don't visit the explore tab or anything like that.

Oooh, i agree! i definitely think some youtube channels are a lot more pointless than other ones. for example, i usually watch a lot of musical artists on their writing process and tutorials, same with traditional art. these are a lot more helpful and arent a waste of time because they're building your hobby and interests, but when youtubers are just calling out people for attention i find that very disinteresting.
Definitely. If you just tune in to the average YouTube video by these "trending YouTubers," you'll find lots of toxic "commentators" making that sweet, sweet YouTube moniez by mocking others, insulting them, basically making a laughingstock of others they deem "cringey" or "deserving" to have their dignity deprived of. It's pretty pointless, their so-called "quality content", when you could better spend your time cooking a delicious meal , or learn a new language, or learn the history of a real historic figure, etc, etc, all from better-made YouTube videos.

The "typical" trending YouTube video is often overrated and just eye-rolling in general. It just gets my head shaking at what passes as entertainment and "content" on YouTube.

i have a major problem with watching any kind of video, if it's not interactive like a video game i can't do it. not to mention the fact that i play things on mute with closed captions defeats the purpose of the video. at that point just write a guide or give me a book (not interactive, but they have all that information accessible on x number of pages, rather than a timestamp). so no its not a waste of time for me bc i don't use it, but also it is a waste of time for me because... it's useless

I posted on this thread a while back and I think I said that Youtube is a waste of time, but I've changed my mind now.

I don't think Youtube is a waste of time. I usually just use Youtube to listen to music, but I also watch tips for games and walkthroughs and such, and some of my favorite Youtubers that I watch make me happy and I enjoy watching them, so I don't find it a waste of time. Before I watched whatever, whenever, and I think I was actually using Youtube as a time waster.

It depends on the content. I watch a lot of interesting paleo creators and pet care videos but I won't pretend everything I watch is strictly educational lol. The ads can be annoying but we don't have cable anymore and I find I don't have the tv on anymore I just pick whatever content I want to see and keep it with me while I'm cooking/cleaning/studying.

I defiantly can waste a lot of time on it though.

I had a progressively worse YouTube habit for about 9 years. I went from watching YouTubers for twenty minutes a day to six hours a day. It took time away from hobbies I loved and made me feel increasingly empty inside. Once I started to get depressed from the constant stream of nihilistic videos I took a two year break. The existential crisis I was having was that bad. I ended up deleting that account and started from scratch. Now I’m subscribed to a few dozen people rather than 900. If a depressing or drama filled video pops up on my recommend tab I click “not interested.” I also make sure to not spend more than two hours a day on the platform. When I feel the urge to binge watch YouTube I listen to podcasts instead. They usually have more substance and aren’t nearly as addictive. Changing how I use the site has made a massive difference. I don’t feel drained anymore. Given my history with the site I think YouTube is only a waste of time if you make it an unhealthy habit. If you’re watching substantive videos at a healthy pace then I think watching YouTube is fine.

I usually watch guitar/music related content on YouTube which is mostly educational. No, I don’t think YouTube is a waste of time. I learned a lot about guitar from the people on there.

Well, I have noticed the drop of quality in modern YouTube videos... And I have fallen into that trap with Friday Night Funkin'. 😂 But there are YouTubers that I thoroughly enjoy watching, so it's not all bad.

Back