• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do you buy physical or digital games?

I prefer physical but as of late due to lockdown and generally cheaper prices, I've been buying digital versions of games.

Both though more digital as of late. I don't have any major game stores nearby and shipping has been pretty unreliable.

I will still buy physical copies though if there's a good sale or I find a used copy. Also if it's a game I'm unsure if I will like I get it physically so I can at least resell it later if I don't like it.

As much as I like having a physical collection it is nice to have your most commonly played games digitally so you don't have to switch out gamecards as often. I'm glad my copy of ACNH is digital for this reason.

I buy a mix. Although I like physical games, digital is so much easier when it comes to storage and actually getting the game (no waiting for it to ship, no going to a store and not knowing if it's in stock...). I also go for digital for games like Animal Crossing where I don't want to be constantly swapping cartridges in and out every day.

I have mostly been buying digital recently, mostly because a lot of the indie games that I'm interested in on the switch don't have physical versions or had a very limited physical run. I also play a lot of games that benefit from being able to play at anytime (like animal crossing), so the digital format is way nicer for those. The switch is actually the first system I've had (besides a PC) that I've really made liberal use of digital games, and its honestly really nice to be able to play games whenever I want without worrying about cartridges. On my 3Ds, I always used physical copies except for virtual console games.

I've had a handful of digital games, but I prefer to go physical. At least it'll guarantee that I own the game and will always work provided I take good care of it. Both of them have their own perks so it's 75% physical and 25% digital for me. I don't really mind having to swap the game cards since I barely take my Switch outside with me.

Mostly physical but occasionally digital. Idk I like having a physical object especially if I’m paying $60 for a game. it makes me feel better about the purchase for some reason lol

Generally i will get digital if they are smaller games or are on sale (especially cos otome you can only get digital) but for the more mainstream nintendo games i like to get physical if thats an option

Digital copies aren't as satisfying as physical copies for me.

I hate digital. Also, if you lose your console, you won't have to reinstall it on a new one all over again. Just pop in a physical copy and start playing.

I have a few physical copies but I don't really like storing them. I have a tiny living space so it's just not practical for me. I chiefly buy digital copies now! I really like having physical copies but it's not in the cards for me right now!

I used to buy physical but swapped to digital more recently due to impatience/ease. I kind of wish Nintendo would allow for some sort of trade-off for digital games because there are a few I don’t play a lot & can’t sell unlike a physical copy

I hardly buy physical copies anymore. It's mostly digital for me.

i prefer physical games for the box art and ability to switch discs/cartridges between systems, but i've bought a few digital downloads now and then

Physical. I like to believe that when/if I get bored of a game, I should have the right to sell it on to someone else. Also, the boxes always look brilliant on display!

A bit of both. If the storage on a switch was more substantial and didn’t require an expensive micro SD card I would buy more digital. I don’t like the clutter of buying physical cases for games, dvds etc. It’s just not the way anymore, I am hoping nintendo will start making their products digital like the new Xbox and PlayStation have. It just makes sense. I like the convenience, simplicity and compactness of digital games.

The only physical game I have is Animal Crossing, mostly because it's the reason I bought my switch and I always play it. I just leave the cartridge in my switch. Every other game I have is digital though. It's nice being able to buy games at your convenience instead or going out shopping or having to wait after buying online.

I've gone all digital, I truly hate having boxes of games, even movies etc.... I honestly think gaming in truly headed towards a digital/streaming service in the years to come. Gaming is just the last media headed towards that way. convenience always wins

The last game I picked physical was breath of the wild when the switch first released.

I always go with physical. From how I see it, 10 years from now, I’d like to have access to all my games, as eventually they won’t be able to connect to the online services. On the off chance the system breaks and I can’t redownload games.

Plus it’s always good having the option to resell a game you no longer want. Bought Splatoon 2 for $60, resold it for $40 after I had my fill of it. Can use that money to buy new games. ^^

Back