• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Digital or physical games?

Do you buy your games...

• Digitally

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Physical

Votes: 37 75.5%

• Total voters

Mokuren

Bells
Switch
1228-4657-4697
Island
I wonder if more people are buying games online or not.

When I was younger there was nothing like online stores and I bought them.from the store but now I only buy the games in the digital version... More space at home and I can't lose them anymore lol You also don't have to change the disk!

I exclusively buy games online now, just because it's easier and I don't have a lot to worry about. Just got to make sure to have a big enough SD card for them, which I do.

Not to mention if I bought them physically, since I live in the US, I'd have to go into GameStop or order off Amazon only, which I'm not a huge fan of...

Although I do have multiple digital games, I much prefer the physical copies. I like collecting and displaying them, I prefer that if something happens to my console the disc/cartridge is still safe, I like being able to on-sell them, and I just like having a physical thing I guess. I can completely understand the appeal of digital though!

With Nintendo, I prefer physical. They shut down e-shops once a console is old. I would rather not worry about what to do if I can't download a game or dlc again. However, now that many games have dlcs and patches, it kind of defeats the benefit of buying physical.

I haven't had any trouble with Steam yet, so I'll happily keep buying digital games from them for now.

I'd prefer physical copies but I'm not patient enough to wait until I can go out and buy them so I always buy them digitally

I have always preferred to buy physical media, whether it be movies, games, books, whatever. The primary reason being that if I should ever feel the desire or need to sell any of them I can do so. That said, I've acquired some games digitally over the years, usually because the games weren't in stock physically anymore, were only ever available digitally, were purchased on a strictly digital storefront like Steam, or whatever other reason.

I've been buying digital but I'm starting to realize that maybe physical should be the way to go in the future.

I was a physical only buyer until they started not putting the whole base game on the cartridge.
Now I'm digital only because the way I see it, it is digital trick or digital.

I was a physical only buyer until they started not putting the whole base game on the cartridge.
Now I'm digital only because the way I see it, it is digital trick or digital.
I was about to say that I prefer to buy physically before you reminded me that this is a thing that publishers do now. God.

Under normal circumstances, I like having the physical media, but I'm not opposed to having a digital copy as well. For Nintendo games especially, I'm reluctant to go fully digital given their less than stellar reputation for stability and support.

I will go either way depending on which version is easier to get a hold of. I actually managed to get a hold of a new physical US copy of Indivisible which I wasn’t aware of being a rare physical release. Right now I only have maybe eight physical games but some are just copies of the Labo sets and only four or five are other games, one being Ring Fit Adventure. The rest of my games are digital. My 3DS is mostly physical though.

I strongly prefer physical copies, but I'll buy digital too if that's the only version readily available. Digital storage/memory feels too nebulous to me, and I don't want to keep all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. Knowing that I've still got most of my cartridges even if something happens to my Switch is a big reassurance. I've always liked being able to actually hold and admire a game case too, and it makes it possible to sell or give away games that I no longer want.

Physical whenever possible. I have actively avoided buying games on console that are only available digitally but too large for me to feel good about it

I used to be 100% physical, but recently I bought a larger SD card and have only been buying digital lately and it’s so much more convenient so I have mostly digital games now.

I like having the physical but digital is very convenient so I have a mix of both. Another big factor is that digital games seem to go on sale more. I really wish there were more sales on physical copies for games.

All mine for the switch have been digital cause trying to get physical copies is harder, especially during the covid stuff. Also I got my first switch early 2020. I wish my games were all physical tho

Digital is just easier for me. I don’t like bulk and digital games mean less material possessions.

i’ve always been a physical copy girl! i love owning the physical copies of games and seeing the cover art and the manuals for them, displaying them in my room etc. buying the digital copy is of course quicker and you never have to worry about losing the game card or anything, but it’s not as fun as buying the physical copy imo :)

I always buy physical copies of games I don't like digital I like to actually go collect it from the shops and feel it in my hands :)

Back