• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Did you want your console hacked?

have you though?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i have and arguably still do. i like clipping things on the switch, and was disappointed to find out i would have to hack my 3ds to record things. the same with taking photos— now that miiverse is gone, i have no way to take in game screenshots.

Why would you hack your devices?? I'm curious, is it like modding

Last edited:
Why would you hack your devices?? I'm curious, is it like modding
Essentially, it's reverse engineering the product so that homebrew apps and other features can be installed. These can't be done without extensive--and warranty voiding--fiddling with the device's backend.

Essentially, it's reverse engineering the product so that homebrew apps and other features can be installed. These can't be done without extensive--and warranty voiding--fiddling with the device's backend.
Oh I see now, makes more sense. Thank you for clarifying it for me

Yep, I've modded a Wii for homebrew and my New 3DS XL for editing my New Leaf town. I don't play online on either device, though in the case of my Wii, I've got a program where I can rip my game discs into an organized loader UI so that the discs aren't required to run the games. Load times are improved as well. It requires lots of know-how as well as an external drive that is formatted correctly, and one wrong move can even cause the Wii to become completely non-functional if backups aren't made. I keep toying with the idea of installing 3rd party hosting software to play online on some games that formerly used WiiConnect24, though only Mario Kart Wii seems to still see activity today.

The only reason I hacked my 3DS was to squeeze out the remainder of fun I had left for New Leaf until New Horizons came out. After that, I've only revisited New Leaf less than a handful of times. If someone releases a 3rd party hosting service that includes New Leaf once Nintendo's servers shut down in a couple months (!!!), I may be interested in doing such a thing, but not right now.

I think we modded our Wii so my husband could play Mario Kart online. The people still playing though are really, really good.

I’ve never had a hacked/modded console, nor do I really want one. I know you can do a lot of cool things with them, and I really enjoy seeing all of the beautiful modded towns/islands people have created in New Leaf and New Horizons, but I think it’s something that I prefer to admire from afar, rather than have for myself.

It also seems like more hassle than it’s worth. I’d have to learn how to hack my console to start, unless I was able to buy a hacked console online or pay someone to do it for me. I’d have to learn how to fix joy-stick drift myself as well, as I have a switch lite, and I wouldn’t be able to send it to Nintendo to repair again if it’s hacked. I guess I could buy joy-cons and try to get used to using those instead, but again, seems like more hassle than it’s worth.

All of that combined with the fact that I’d be too anxious about ending up with a bricked system, corrupted game files etc, it just wouldn’t be worth it to me. I’m perfectly content with my non-hacked consoles and games.

I think it would be fun if I knew how to use it. But I’m not good with that kind of stuff.

Also, I’m also scared of what it would do to my devices.

I don’t know how and if I did I’d live every day in paranoid fear of my console getting bricked somehow Lol

yes & i have done it, it's not as hard as you'd think if you have some technical know-how, though it is intimidating.

Yeah, honestly for Nintendo consoles it’s really easy. I did it to my Wii and a 3DS. I won’t elaborate but I will say if you wanna do any console that needs hardmods like the 360 it becomes a pain and a half, seriously it’s nothing compared to that. That kind of stuff I couldn’t tackle.

I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to doing something like that to my consoles so I've never attempted to hack anything on any devices. I think if I did want to try it I would probably buy a second device to do it so that I could still keep my original devices unmodified.

I'd rather have them hacked. It's really fun to experiment with weird things that shouldn't be possible without hacks. It also helps me better understand how different consoles work, which is pretty interesting too. I also like having all the quality of life improvements that come with it, like being able to backup / restore saves.

I am so tempted to mod my switch so I can play games that don't belong (Klonoa Heroes for GBA especially), but i don't wanna brick it by accident.

Both of my 3DS models were hacked. At least the 3DS has been discontinued, since that means I don’t have a lot to worry about in terms of getting in trouble with Nintendo and stuff. Through homebrewing I was able to install custom themes and badges, play Japanese games and install hacks to existing games, and even customize the home menu buttons! (Yes, this is possible, and if you look hard enough you can find a tutorial on how to do that.) My models have not been bricked, mainly because the risk is pretty low.

As for the Switch? No way! Not until they drop support for it. The whole process is a lot harder since you need a really old Switch and some jigs or some sort of hardmod. And that’s not all: you could risk getting banned and/or having your Switch bricked if you do something wrong!

It's too late for me to answer the poll but I have a hacked 3ds and a hacked Wii U! I hacked my 3ds so I could play with custom themes. As for the Wii U I had hacked it during the time when people was having consoles that bricked for seemingly no reason. I heard that it was connected to the manufacturer of the memory chip that the Wii U used. I wanted to find out if my console would brick soon but the tools that I needed required the Wii U to be hacked.

This is the theme I have on my 3ds! I don't have a custom theme for my Wii U since I heard it adds a brick risk and I am NOT confident in my ability to recover a bricked Wii U.
1707974705911.png

Back