• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Confess your gaming sins here.

coffeeplant

✩ brewster's apprentice ✩
Bells
Tasty Cake
Gastly Halloweaster Egg
Gastly Halloweaster Egg
Bee Plush
Tricolored Puppy Plush
Tricolored Puppy Plush
Tricolored Puppy Plush
I want to preface this by saying that I did check to see if there was a similar thread and didn't see any. If there is one and I just missed it, I'm sorry. ^^;

Anyway! I thought it would be fun to have a thread about these things we do wrong in video games. Maybe you play Stardew Valley without fishing, or you just don't bother with Koroks at all while playing Breath of the Wild. Or maybe you knock out duplicate shinies when you play Pokémon? Things like that. Decisions you take that other players would frown upon big time.

For example, in their first playthrough of Pokémon SS, one of my friends KO'ed all the legendaries and the shiny Gyarados because they "just didn't felt like catching them." That's just not how you play Pokémon, c'mon friend. ; - ;

Mine is an accidental sin but I didn't know you could do things with the dinosaur egg and the prismatic shard in Stardew Valley so I donated them to Gunther in my first run. ->

What are your gaming sins? They can be from any game, by the way! I just gave examples with what games I know of.
Feel free to give context if needed, too! (❁´◡`❁)

-I am a very new Stardew Valley player and I... may have done the exact same thing with my Dinosaur Egg and Prismatic Shard. ;v; I'm currently coping by telling myself that I just put the community's needs ahead of my own while I desperately search for replacements adsklgjdksldjf

-I will shamelessly skip routes in otome games if I really don't want to play them, sometimes to the point where I've only played one route in certain games (cough cough Piofiore and Birushana cough cough). I know this is a pet peeve for a lot of otome gamers, but I don't really mind that I'm missing out on the overarching story/lore/etc. I'm just here for warm fuzzies and heart-racing moments with sweet anime dudes. (To a lesser degree, I also skip bad endings no matter their story relevance, although I think that's somewhat common.) Otome games can get pretty wild sometimes, and I want to heal my emotional damage, not add to it lol.✌️
And while it's getting better, there's not a huge amount of otome on the English market. I want to support ENG otome releases so gaming publishers know to give us more, so if even one route sounds promising to me, I'll probably go for it.

-I love playing Minecraft with Keep Inventory on, and even on my achievement-hunting Bedrock world, I make regular backups in case an adventure goes awry. Consequences? Never heard of 'em.

-To be fair, I have no idea what I was thinking either, but on my first playthrough of Style Savvy: Styling Star, I didn't let Margot buy out my entire stock of Chorale brand clothes. This offers a massive, instantaneous profit unlike anything else in the game, and there's not really a whole lot of consequence to it... I think I just assumed she was joking. 😅

I've only played one Fire Emblem game, which was Fates Birthright, and I guess I must admit I played with phoenix mode on. Sorry!

Also not sure if this counts but I have very little interest in the multiplayer side of the Splatoon franchise.

Does abusing glitches in Pokemon (Like the Emerald clone glitch) count?

I honestly don't have any gaming sins. I always play my games 100% as the developers intended and in a way that showcases my true skills, warts and all. In fact, I would never even dream of using the infinite Elixir glitch in Final Fantasy VII to make grinding in the final area considerably quicker and easier. If I made an acquaintance of someone who would sink so low as to use as a save editor in Final Fantasy VIII because they had neglected to gather all the GF's at that point and were severely under-leveled, making the part where Rinoa gets kidnapped nigh impossible to complete, I would surely deny any knowledge of their existence.

I can't tell you how much I simply can not stand people who play SimCity and then use mods or cheats that remove the waste disposal mechanic of the game just because the game piles it up so unfairly and it's a constant headache that nobody wants to deal with. And God help you if you're one of those people that quickly switches to Peaceful mode on Minecraft whenever you're about to die while carrying precious inventory.

But nothing--nothing--is more unforgivable in the eyes of this honest, God-fearing player than jumping off of Yoshi in Super Mario World to gain extra height and leaving him to fall to his timely death.

I would never, ever do any of those highly specific and completely unabsolvable sins. So don't even consider accusing me of any of them. I am perfect.

I look up guides and/or lower the difficulty level the second I get stuck. I just don’t have the patience to redo the same part of a video game over and over or spend hours solving a puzzle.
😅
Same! Or I hand it off to someone else in the house with more patience.

This did NOT work in paper mario...had to find the missing letter (the p in dooplis). After pausing the game to look it up, went back into the game thinking cool, I got this... nope. They had removed the letter I needed from the alphabet. 😑

Stardew Valley faux-pas solidarity! Also I feel you about the otome games, some of them really are depressing. I didn't expect Café Enchanté to be so intense when I started playing it, and that's just one of them. ; ^ ;
I look up guides and/or lower the difficulty level the second I get stuck. I just don’t have the patience to redo the same part of a video game over and over or spend hours solving a puzzle.
Honestly, same. I looked up a guide for the May Day Tour because holy shrek I wasn't going to bother with that. Same with these "find all my stuff around the entire map" quests, I just look up guides and gather what I need. Searching endlessly for hidden things? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Does abusing glitches in Pokemon (Like the Emerald clone glitch) count?
If it does, I'm guilty of this as well. My best friend and I used to clone all of our legendaries and shinies for the dex and to share sparkly mons with one another. c': We also used it to clone our TMs and Master Ball, because f the system lol.

I would never, ever do any of those highly specific and completely unabsolvable sins. So don't even consider accusing me of any of them. I am perfect.
doubtmeme.jpg
/j

Here's another one of my gaming sins... I used the champions' weapons in botw and lost them forever. I know you can get new ones made but I'm too lazy to gather the necessary materials so. Oops.

In the entire 2-3 years now I've played Genshin Impact, I have not gone chest-hunting, even though that and exploration is a big part of the game.

There's just a bunch of unopened chests all around my world, LOL.

When I first started NH I experienced my first meteor shower ever, but I didn't make a single wish the enter time and just though "huh, neat" and moved on after admiring it for a bit 😅

My biggest one though; way back in the day, I was playing the original Pokémon Gold and I obtained the one and only Master Ball you get in the entire game. I knew this item was a valuable resource and I also knew that it had a 100% catch rate on any Pokémon you used it on.

I used it on a Tentacruel. 🤣🤣😭

Also I gave my OG Gold Feraligatr the worst move set imaginable: Cut, Surf, Bite, and Ice Fang
I distinctly remember that the only reason I had it learn those basic moves like Cut and Surf was just for ease of travel 🤦‍♀️
Now my HG Feraligatr knows a much more appropriate move set: Waterfall, Earthquake, Crunch, and I think Ice Fang (I don't fully remember atm) 😆

When I was younger and playing Harvest Moon: Animal Parade for the first time, I let my animals go outside even though it was raining. My cow got sick the next day, but I procrastinated buying medicine for some reason. (Either that or I didn't have enough money to buy some, I don't know.) By the time I was ready to buy the medicine, Horn Farm was closed. And then my cow died the next day... I felt bad and definitely learnt my lesson on that one. 😭

Last edited:
Also I gave my OG Gold Feraligatr the worst move set imaginable: Cut, Surf, Bite, and Ice Fang
I distinctly remember that the only reason I had it learn those basic moves like Cut and Surf was just for ease of travel 🤦‍♀️
Now my HG Feraligatr knows a much more appropriate move set: Waterfall, Earthquake, Crunch, and I think Ice Fang (I don't fully remember atm)
[flashbacks of my FRLG Charizard with Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Blast Burn and Fire Spin] Y-yeah I uh. I'm guilty of this too. c':
When I was younger and playing Harvest Moon: Animal Parade for the first time, I let my animals go outside even though it was raining. My cow got sick the next day, but I procrastinated buying medicine for some reason. (Either that or I didn't have enough money to buy some, I don't know.) By the time I was ready to buy the medicine, Horn Farm was closed. And then my cow died the next day... I felt bad and definitely learnt my lesson on that one. 😭
Nooo that's so sad!! Poor cow. ; - ;

I rarely finish games, unless it's Pokemon. I start a bunch of them and have every intention of finishing them but I never do, I just have a bunch of unfinished games in my backlog. I can't stay focused on one thing for very long so I'm always jumping from game to game and never making real progress. Which is annoying becuase I want to finish them. This is probably why lately I gravitate towards open ended games that don't necessarily have an ending, cause I can jump into them whenever I want. I don't know how to fix this issue, I want to improve my focus somehow eventually so I can finish the games I really like and are in my backlog.

I do look up guides as well for some things.

I refuse to unlock or even fight one specific Fighter in Smash Ultimate. I will never accept that ugly thing into the series and if I even see anyone use that ugly thing in an online fight, I will turn off the game and refuse to fight that thing.

I am desperate to know who this is. You don't even have to say their despicable name, just describe them and I'm sure I'll understand.

Usually this has to do with me disposing of potential companions.

I always side with the Legion whenever I play New Vegas. Of course this means I must destroy Boone (among others) every playthrough. Several of my friends love Boone, but I have to share with them the different ways that he's done in each time.

On a similar note, I recently played through Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous and I found Ember to be so obnoxious that I eradicated her during her introductory mission. I would have done the same with Arue, too, but she cheated. (Oh, and Camellia is my best friend)

i threw the penguin off the map in mario 64, destroyed minecraft villages in creative mode, destroyed a guys office furniture in judgment, the list goes on

Last edited by a moderator:
Back