Bugs and other creepy crawlies

What do you do about insects in your house?

• Let them be.

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Catch and release.

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • Kill them!

Votes: 45 44.6%

• Total voters
I like insects and bugs in general. I catch and release or leave them be. Except mosquitos, flies, cockroaches, ants, and other pests...

What I do depends wholly on the situation at hand. If I see a spider just sitting in the corner or otherwise minding its own business, I'll leave it be since it's not harming me any and can eat any insects that might find themselves in my home. If a spider or something else enters my personal space then I'll do what I can to catch and release. If it's a type of pest like an ant or something annoying and/or dirty like a fly or something then it's an automatic kill.

im scared of roaches and wasps/hornets/etc so they will DIE if theyre in my house. mosquitos too not bc im scared of them (though i do hate the buzzing oh my god) but because i get bug bites so easily and theyre annoying. but things like moths dont bother me, so i don't do anything about those.

I catch and keep as a pet for a while. In fact, I went outside all the time when I was younger and actively searched out spiders, and tried keeping them and feeding them. I learned a lot about them that way. My favorite types of spiders are jumping spiders, particularly 'Bold Jumping Spiders'. They're a little bigger and easier to hold, and they will actually turn to look at me when I move around (they have very good eyesight, and can see in 3d). Jumping spiders are also pretty smart.

... in case you couldn't tell, I like insects and arachnids a lot.

I put "catch and release", but I actually don't necessarily treat all insects 100% equally, it depends on how disruptive they are to my life. I'm sort of afraid of flies, so I catch and release them, but most insects I actually let hang out around my house, like moths or beetles. The only ones I kill are mosquitos and fleas, since they can carry disease. Also, spiders aren't insects but since most people are commenting on them: the very largest ones I'll catch and release or kill if my anxiety won't let me catch and release, but if they aren't gigantic, I'll usually leave them alone- I found a spider crawling on my neck the other night and because it wasn't that big, I just kind of flicked it off of my neck and then left it alone.

I voted "let them be" but I used to be big on killing them. However, in my house, we've recently had a roach infestation where tons of roaches have been found in our kitchen and they've spread into my room and bathroom. At this point, I've just become more tolerant and don't want to have to worry about killing so many of them, but it's no fun finding roaches in your clothes.

Depends...

If it's a bee I'll catch it and release it. If it's a fly or a roach death awaits them.

I suck spiders up with the hoover. I'm too petrified to be closer than a couple of metres near them. My dad used to chase me round the house when I was young with huge spiders so thanks to him I have a horrendous fear of spiders.
If my partners in the house I ask him to deal with them

It always shocks me how much people say they kill spiders. I love spiders because they eat other bugs. I catch the spider and put it back outside.

Honestly, the most annoying insects in my area are fire ants since I live in the US south. If you let them keep their ant mounds, they will just grow because the population increases. I have a big thing of fire ant poison and I put it by their mounds immediately when I see them. It seems to do a good job of killing them. Unfortunately the US south has so many of these things that it's a never ending battle. In the spring/summer/fall, a mound typically pops up once every month or two.

i usually get most things go as long as they dont come at me
mosquitos can die

i usually let them be. is it because i'm a pacifist? no it's because i'm a wimp! lol

if a bug is flying around my screen when it's dark in my room usually i take certain measures... otherwise i just try to get away from them

When I see a spider in our house and it's small/harmless I leave it be, but if it's a bigger spider then I catch it and let it outside.

I can't let my mom know about it though, she gets angry when I release spiders instead of killing them ^^"

I'd pick all three of those options as it depends on the situation. For example, if it was something like a moth or a ladybug or a spider I'd leave it be. If it happened to be intruding I'd try my best to relocate it to somewhere nice.

If I see anything worm-like or any beetle type insectoid that isn't round and cute like a ladybug then it gets ANNIHILATED. I'll either crush it to death with a hard surfaced object or spray half a can of insect killing goodness on them (a major exaduration of quantity but it makes my point come across better).

Slithery worm things I can't stand at all. I just need them dead 100%. That included worms, snails, slugs, caterpillars and any typeof thing ending in pede.

We have weta's in New Zealand which are the only exception cause they're unique so I get someone else to relocate them for me as they're too frign creepy :(

Last edited:
I always catch and release them, except if it's one of those huge spiders..
then I let my boyfriend handle that :'D
..but if he's not there, then I will usually just stay away from that room. q.q

Funfact: Yesterday, we removed a old sink from the kitchen and there was a dead
bug under, holy moly I never saw a bug that size. It was about 10cm o.o

I love to keep bugs as pets and release them and when I keep the bugs as pets they live longer. Like I kept this beautiful green bug and I named it Willow Maple. And she lasted through the winter and I caught her when it was August, so it was August through December.
I miss that bug and I don't remember what type of bug it was.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I always catch and release them, except if it's one of those huge spiders..
then I let my boyfriend handle that :'D
..but if he's not there, then I will usually just stay away from that room. q.q

Funfact: Yesterday, we removed a old sink from the kitchen and there was a dead
bug under, holy moly I never saw a bug that size. It was about 10cm o.o

Your lucky to find big spiders in the house, I don't really find big spiders, the only spider I find the most are Big Daddy Long Leg ones which are lame. But sometimes I do find big spiders, like this beautiful red spider on my deck and it made a beautiful web and I forgot what kind of spider it was and I've seen two of them.

Last edited:
It depends on the bugs...i usually kill common pest bugslike ants spiders and roaches...i leave waterbugs moths fireflies alone...tho we currently have an ant problem and its just awful they are everywhere!

I kill mosquitoes like it's my life mission. I'll kill flies and gnats and other pesky ******** that invade my space too. If it's some monstrous bug that terrifies me for whatever reason, I make someone else kill it for me 'cause I'm not very brave lol. The only bug I let live are spiders. They don't bother anyone, and I'm hoping they'll catch some of the annoying bugs for me. I'm concerned though, and it might be really stupid, but I'm worried if I let a spider live in my house too long, it'll end up pregnant and I'll be stuck with hundreds of spiders swarming my home...is that ridiculous? How likely is that? I saw that one video of the guy smashing a spider and out came a horde of babies...looked sort of horrific...

I am extremely gentle with all bugs and mostly choose to let them be, but I picked "catch and release" just because I don't want large spiders, large beetles, or wasps in the house. I don't like it when things crawl on me while I'm sleeping.

I have one exception...
STINK BUGS
They go down the toilet. I was gentle with them too until one of their little friends decided to dive bomb down from the ceiling right into my face and proceeded to spray me for no reason, causing me to drop my laptop and break it. Sorry, buddy, but I was angry beyond belief and now all of your little friends will suffer and die.

kill them unless they were pretty, then I would release them. very sad but it's true.

Back