• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you afraid of spiders?

Are you afraid of spiders?

• Total voters
I love spiders! They are one of my favorite animals and I will pick them up and hold them all the time. I don't mind sharing my home with them either as long as they aren't of the venomous variety, but I've only seen a black widow once in my whole life and it was outside so I'm never too worried.

They don't really bother me if they aren't huge or near me. When we were kids I was the designated spider catcher since my younger sister was afraid of them and I think that forced me to overcome my fear of them.

Hello 47% of people who voted in this poll!! I'm with you!! I've always been scared of spiders, ever since I was a kid. I know quite a few people who were aracnaphobes as kids, but got over it in adulthood - but that ain't me!
When I was a kid, I used to have nightmares of giant spiders coming after me and catching me in their webs and eating me and all that jazz. Like every freaking night.

As an adult, my heart still drops and I get panic-y when they are around and I can't escape them. I have screamed because of spiders before, as an adult, as embarrassing as that is.
They do show up in my nightmares sometimes but not nearly as often.

The one good thing about getting older is that my eyesight has gotten worse. I am developing nearsightedness, so things that are far away are not super clear anymore. I don't wear glasses unless I'm driving because it's just not that bad / important. BUT at home, etc when I see a spider it's more like a blur nowadays lmao. Unless they are super close but if that's the case then things are about to be bad. The spider blurs still scare me but depending on how far away they are, not so bad.
Also, my phone keeps suggesting the spider emoji which is NOT COOL.

I am really afraid of spiders. I have this weird habit of usually vacuuming it to kill it, don't know if that actually does the job, I know I just can't bear to touch one. I can't even look at pictures of spiders honestly, they scare me that much. However, tarantulas don't really bother me that much but I don't think I've ever seen one in real life.

A little jumpy, but I really want to hold a mexican red knee or a chilean rose tarantula.

I reckon they'd be like kittens. :D

yeah. i get told “they’re more scared of you than you are of them” a lot but i mean,, one of us has 8 legs and it’s not me. they’re creepy as hell lmao.

Not really afraid of spiders, no. There are some venomous ones to worry about possibly being bitten by, but I've never encountered those. I'm cool with ordinary household spiders, they can hang out in the dark corners doing their thing and maybe eating pests if there are any.

That said, I don't want them to touch me. I don't want to feel any sort of arthropods or insects in general. Not really a fear, it's not scary to me, it's just sort of like "Nope, don't like it." A friend of mine raises mantises as pets and he lets them walk on his hand, sit on his shoulder, etc. sometimes and I don't know that I could do that, though maybe I should try sometime to try to get over it.

Regardless, I'll typically opt to capture rather than kill any spiders and bugs that might get too into my space. Aside from pests like flies or ants, those sorts of things die on sight.

I'm afraid of them and wish I wasn't so I could let them live in my room to kill other bugs or just catch and release them.
But all kind of tiny animals / bugs terrify me and I just want to be sure they won't come back near me when I'm not looking

I used to be afraid of spiders, but now I'm not afraid of them. I've tried picking them up with my hands and they're not scary anymore. I kinda like them.

I fear spiders so much that even photos of them make me uncomfortable.

Not really. If they'll crawl up on me and are close to me, i'll probably run to the other side of the room. But I don't have a major panic attack, just get a bit spooked.

It would depend on the spider, but for the spiders I see around here, no, not at all. Those ones are pretty small and I can easily kill them if need be. But if I encountered a tarantula, or any sort of spider that exists in Australia, then I'd just immediately turn around, walk away and not look back.

It depends on the spider. If I see a black widow, I'm not going to mess with it. If I were to ever see a T. Blondi aka Goliath Bird Eater, then no, thanks. I think holding a tarantula made me less afraid of spiders, though. I used to have nightmares about spiders and tarantulas at random. Haven't had any since.

I am. And afraid of a lot of animals, as worms, centipedes... I hate them.
Fortunately I don't live in a country where they are huge, but I'm stille scared. I shout everytime I see one and when one of them is in my shower, sometimes I refuse to go in haha or I spend my entire time looking at it. I can't kill them. I can't kill anything.

I was when i was little! But I've been to indonesia in rural areas multiple times, one time for 3 months in a wooden hut.

After a while you will learn to not care about scorpions, snakes, cockroaches, big ass centipedes... and giant spiders.

Sure i wouldn't love it in my bed, but I'm definitely not scared of it anymore

Not really. I mean if they are really close to me I don't like it. I learned with time there are far worse things than spiders. They are called centipedes...
No Thanks
Wormy things also bother me alot me, like Grub worms.

I just started a new job, and I will be stocking fruits.
I learned there was a banana spider (thankfully dead)
and one tarantula that was in the fruit shipments.

I can kill spiders but that frightens me,
so I decided to make this poll.

Nope! owned a few Tarantula's and bugs in my time including spiders, crabs, snakes. I don't own any anymore, rip, but I had a healthy collection at one point and sold and traded them. Never really got around to the breeding, but it was in my sights at one point. Too into my gaming collection now to go back into it and don't think the fiancé would be very happy either if I did lol

I love spider videos and learning about arachnids. They're fascinating creatures!

But if I see one in real life... get the flamethrower.

Back