• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Lyrics vs Melody

• Lyrics

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Melody

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • I hate music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • im deaf...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • why am I reading this thread?

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
I like music without vulgarity, which makes me pretty sad when I find a sick beat with some raunchy lyrics. (I can't find instrumental versions of them very often.) 😢 Sometimes the singer isn't very coherent though, so I don't notice and get to enjoy the song despite the lyrics! c: But it's hard to say... Sometimes a melody is good enough for me to make an occasional exception, and sometimes lyrics can make a lackluster melody work!

I am always more drawn to music by its melody, and secondly the lyrics if there are any. But if the melody and lyrics blend together nicely then that's really what I enjoy the most. Melodies that are slow, lullaby-like are very nice and pleasing. Music that sounds like a waltz, a song of love or longing, and melodies that just really stimulate my mind into thinking of relaxing images or scenarios (I daydream a whole lot) and music that evokes all kinds of emotions, such as melancholy, pensiveness and peaceful things...

I do also enjoy an upbeat melody. Music that sounds happy, energetic and adventurous, and music that would fit a specific setting, like an autumn forest or a beach are some of my favorites~ I'd say I'm more into video game soundtracks but also a mix of a whole bunch of other genres. It's pretty miscellaneous what I listen to. It all depends on my mood, and I always listen to music when I draw. I tend to select certain tracks/songs that currently fit with what I'm drawing.

Melody. I've heard music that sounds awesome, and then the lyrics get sung and just kills the music for me. Lyrics have to sound good for me to want them there in the first place.

Ultimately I think melody for the most part, but there are times where it’s lyrics. I’ve encountered songs that use the same exact melody, but use different lyrics. One song will sound harmonious and well put, while the other sounds unusual. Sometimes it’s because I’m more used to the first song I heard and adjust to that.

The melody has to be good, or else it's hard to even listen to it for me. However.. if they lyrics is trash the the melody can be as good as it wants to be, I will not be able to enjoy the song at all. It just has to fit together. I am someone who always listens to the song as a whole and I can't just blend out the lyrics like a lot people seem to do (like my fiancé.. everytime I hear something interesting in a lyrics he has no clue what I'm talking about, as he just listens to the song without listening to the actual words xD)

I've met a fair share of music enthusiasts (and no, these aren't your average "normie" music fans. I'm talking about big, genuine, OBSESSED music nerds), and all of them will tell you (myself included) that when it comes to music the thing that should always be the most important is the melody itself. Wonderful/meaningful/poetic/relatable (etc) lyrics are always appreciated, but they shouldn't ever take precedence over the actual sound/melody (this is music after all, not a novel or poetry book).

I feel like the vocals contribute to the melody. It's part of it. The lyrics are just to spice up the singing so it doesn't sound like random yodeling. Take the song Cats on mars for example. The singer is speaking gibberish, but I still love the song nonetheless. And so do others.

Melody! Melody is forever more important to me.

I will admit- I usually can't tell what the lyrics even are, or I hear them completely wrong. My brain doesn't pick up the actual words very well. Too busy hearing the melody... 😅

Both lyrics and melody are important to me! If I understand the language being sung, lyrics are equally important to the melody. If the song is in a language I don't understand, the melody is more important.

Bad lyrics tend to ruin a song for me no matter how nice the melody is.

Melody by far.

I love music, studied music, read, write and play music and the amount of songs I know even half of the lyrics for must be less than 10. I only write lyrics myself because I don't write music that would hold up as much if it were solely instrumental.

I've never had any deep connection with lyrics in a song, they're kind of just there. I'll love vocal melodies and vocal parts but what the actual lyrics are is usually unimportant to me compared to how it sounds. My favorite songs could be 10 minutes of the vocalist singing about their gaping butthole and I really wouldn't care (or really notice) as long as how they're singing sounds baller.

It's like when I listen to a band singing in a foreign language. Do I know what Babymetal lyrics are about? Absolutely not, but melodies don't have a language barrier.

i would say lyrics mostly. i love writing and the art of songwriting and beautiful lyrics. i find thats usually what draws me into a song first and then i fall in love with the melody after.

i think melody (or, rather, beat, in my case) but lyrics do play a factor because i don't know that i could listen to a song -- regardless of how much i love the beat -- if the lyrics sucked sewage or involved rap, since that's one of my least favorite genres. (i only have a few songs saved that include rap, and it's never the full thing; they just manage to be saved by a woman with great vocals singing a great chorus.) that being said, i know beat/melody is more important to me because i have dozens of EDM (or EDM-adjacent) songs where the chorus leads into a banging interlude as well as a lot of 'epic' orchestral music where there are no lyrics period. my music taste in general just tends to be very sporadic (for example, there are only a few artists where i have at least 3 songs saved from) because it's just about how the song sounds overall to me and whether or not it 'vibes' with me. i think the only consistent things about it are that i lean very heavily towards pop (or anything that sounds similar) and female singers.

Melody. Too often cool songs are ruined by the lyrics impo.
So, majority of the time, I just listen to instrumental. It's also more calming to me without lyrics to think about. words are images in my mind, so it can feel pretty busy if music has lyrics regardless of fast or slow melodies

Some lyrics really stick with me. But I think the melody makes me fall in love. Some music, or just particular parts, are like ear candy. Brain melting good.

as much as i like the melody, it's the lyrics for me. because even if a song has a good melody, if the lyrics are not great, it's just feels like a downer lol

Back