• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you autistic?

Do you have an ASD diagnosis?

• Yes

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • Self Diagnosed

Votes: 17 24.3%

• Total voters
No. I have several relatives diagnosed with it but it was suggested by a psy when I was a child that I had more a schizoid personality disorder. I would admit that I rather fit the description but my parents refused tests fearing I would be ostracized after ( like it would have changed something...). A lot of my relatives also have ADHD and I don't think that apply to me, but they keep sending me videos about ADHD saying I'm just the same haha. I don't know... Getting a diagnostic seems way too complicated and draining for me. So far I went away with (whatever it is) copying others,"try and error" like a simulation game and listening to others telling me I can't do/say this or that, but I think anybody who can seek professional help should, it would certainy make life a lot easier.

While not officially diagnosed, I strongly suspect I have autism. I've consulted many friends with ASD and they agree that I most likely have it. Of course, autism is different for everyone so I can't really compare, but I certainly have a LOT of traits. Most notably hyperfixations, sensory issues, not getting social cues, stimming, extremely apprehensive about change, sticking to routine, and more.

I don't think I'm old enough to get myself an official diagnosis yet (turning 17 in a couple days, but still too young maybe?) and my parents refuse to believe I'm autistic, let alone getting a test done on it. I'm hoping to get a diagnosis in the future, even though it seems like a painstakingly tedious and daunting task.

It definitely affects my everyday life, I often worry that my behaviour puts people off. I've struggled to keep friends, and sometimes I wonder if my traits make me annoying or unlikable. I've also been trying to mask my autism from other people, so it's hard to feel accepted by my family and peers.

But I want to end this post on a light note. I have friends who accept me for who I am, which I'm grateful for. My ASD has brought forth good things in my life and it's shaped me into who I am today. It's not something I can change, so I'm learning to accept myself. ^^

I am very much suspecting that I am on the spectrum the more I look into it (especially seeing the symptoms that are common in other women), but I'm not one for self-diagnosis. I want to know why I am the way I am, whether that's autism or other explanations.

Sure seems a lot like autism, though. I was diagnosed with ADHD long ago and from what I've read and watched, what someone with both experiences is a lot like me. A strict adherence to routine in some ways that I'll get angry if it gets off, but also frustration with no change in routine causing burnout (sounds contradictory? It is.).

My social awkwardness and my lack of ability to read people. I was actually able to learn a little about how to read people from years and years of experience, but still am not confident with that and assume everyone finds me annoying. I've learned that ADHD can make you talkative and clingy, which does describe one side of me, and is actually what caused me so much social woes until I toned that down. However, there is more to this, that makes me think autism - the aforementioned social awkwardness and lack of ability to read people. But also, my loner side, which is actually really big. In the past I thought that this side of me was maybe just me shutting down as a reaction to all of the social failures I had, but it does feel like it's just a natural part of me. I like being alone, I like being to myself. I like working alone, in fact I don't want other people working with me. I also feel a great need to recharge after social interactions. Sadly, while I want to be social, I also want to be alone. Working a full-time job is overwhelming enough for me, so I don't like scheduling anything after work or on the weekends. I need to recharge.

I could list off a ton more traits that make me suspect that I am autistic. But as I said, I'm not sure. I plan to seek a screening after I move.

Mix of ADHD and ASD here. I've considered having autism for many years, but only tried for proper diagnosis within the last year. So far it's looking promising.

I have minor sensory issues (mostly around light, noise and some textures), hyperfixations (that were way more intense when I was younger), terrible at social cues/skills, struggle with change, and stimming. I'm very high masking as well.

I think the masking itself is the biggest impact for me. Mirroring others behaviours and suppressing stims takes a lot of energy out of me. But it's what I do to "fit in" and appear "normal". It really is a double edged sword.

Overall, AuDHD comes with its strengths and weaknesses though, I can take the good with the bad.

Yes tho being diagnosed as an angsty 14 year old was kind of a curse. I didnt rly deal with it in the best of ways since internally i didnt want to accept that i was labelled with a group of people that i preconceived to be "Cringe" (lol) but eventually i just came around to it. That's all i have to say about that rly TBH but i do have a lot more on the topic of self-diagnosis. My psychiatrist back then was great but when i expressed that i wanted to be tested for ADHD as well she bluntly told me she didnt see it, fair enuff. Fast forward a few years later my brain fogged attention span and self-destructive cycles among other things were beyond unbearable and at this point at my age it was unable to be written off as generic grumpy adolescence so i went to my GP and now in this moment i would like to humbly describe the Official diagnostic process

Me: Hello doctor it's me your favourite patient i suspect i could have ADHD
Doctor: Ok cool do these specific online tests (linked here and here)! that are publicly available online and send your online test results to our email and we'll get back to you thx : ) (I was specifically instructed to fill out the former myself, and then get a close family member/friend to fill out the latter describing what I was like during my childhood).
Then like half a year later i went to the Official Diagnosis appointment which just ended up being my current psychiatrist at the time since he was qualified to diagnose reading out yet another sheet of paper of symptoms that i would answer "Yes" or "Not Really" to so he could Officially say. Yeah pal you got that one
Points being that if no one else took you to a therapist while you were still developing you're likely gonna have to do some introspection yourself to find something out in the first place and also self-diagnosis really isnt all that different from the real thing anyway. The most intricate one ive seen for autism is ADOS which is designed for tiny toddlers and something i went thru when i was an #autism Hater trying to purge my criminal record of being autistic and it's an incredibly awkward process for anyone other than tiny little toddlers LOL ; last thing unless your country puts you in debt just for the chance of a diagnosis i would definitely recommend seeking it for your medical record if it is still in your best interest tho. Personally it helped me get on programs for jobs and general mental health upkeep stuff + entitlement to medication over the years. But if u dont need it..U dont need it................. ................. what ever................... !

Online tests put me on the cusp of being autistic, but I have never been tested nor do I really desire it.

The short answer is yes. The long answer is:

My whole life people were telling my mama it seemed like I had traits of ASD but I went under the radar due to a chaotic and unstable childhood. I went to 8 schools across the country so I guess nobody saw me long enough to truly identify my condition and seek out the assessment and support I needed for it (I was also a child of the foster system) but eventually the diagnosis happened. The shocking thing about my diagnosis that even makes doctors gasp is that nobody told me of my diagnosis until two years after it happened. I was 18 years old by the time I actually knew I had autism and I didn't necessarily struggle to accept it or anything, but I did feel sad about being able to put my finger on why my youth was so difficult for me. I was also hurt that for two years I thought I was 'self-diagnosed' and I as a result had hidden my belief that I was autistic, playing down everything I did as 'Im just a little weird' when actually I was right all along and could've been learning to be open about it that whole time.
I admittedly quite like my autism now and I think it defines me in a good way - it is the very essence of how I think, of how I interact with the world and how I see myself amongst others - and I wouldn't let anyone change it. Plus my special interest since 2008 has been Animal Crossing, an interest Ive been blessed with the chance to deeply explore and embrace! I'm very lucky and I feel thankful for being so comfortable to be autistic and not let anyone try to minimise or change that, but I have not forgotten the time I was a lost undiagnosed child.

As a side note I had the highest RAADS score my doctor (and a few friends) had ever seen: out of 240 I got 224. The average score for those with autism on that test is 140-160. How I remained undiagnosed for my first 16 years of life will always baffle me.

Something else notable I struggle with:

I cannot stand to be out of my comfort zone. Especially very far away for more than a few days. I remember there were times I was in tears because of homesick I was.
For years, I have discussed with you guys about how much I dislike vacations/traveling and how I find it to be overrated. I feel like this can stem from my ASD. I know a lot of people on the spectrum are not really opened to changes in routine. I am no exception.

I am fine with people who do like vacations. I just have an issue with families who try to force them on family members who clearly are not wired for them. I have grandparents who LOVE to travel. Thankfully, we should only be taking vacations with them once a year.

Sometimes I feel like I stick out in my family like a sore thumb. 🤨

No. I am not. I was actually misdiagnosed when I was really young with autism. I didn't associate with anyone in school due to excessive bullying. I won't go into detail since it's basically irrelevant at this point, but I did end up in in-school therapy. It was during lunch period on Tuesday and Thursdays. I felt more comfortable in that environment. We kept in contact after I graduated she experienced the ins and outs of my adult hood. I wasn't showing any traits of being autistic, however showing all nine criteria that must be met for a BPD diagnosis. Note: Only five of the nine criteria have to be met for an official diagnosis, but I was showing all nine.

It started making even more sense when I got into the workplace. I started my first job at Walmart as an overnight stocker. I wanted to work during high school, but I decided to wait since I wanted to work overnight and those hours are unfortunately forbidden for minors. I was very adamant about not being a cashier, although that was the job I enjoyed most? After not liking stocking and discovering the maintenance positions being filled, the manager suggested cashiering, and I was like "why not?" I didn't think I had anything to lose at that point. Besides, they were going to let me go if I since I wasn't efficient at any of the other jobs.

So three years pass and I have a whole three years of experience waiting on customers. I love it. The customer interactions made me feel good and I realize I may very well be more extroverted than I thought. I ended up putting a two weeks notice in at Walmart once within that three year time period because I found a Wendy's application on my dad's windshield and I *thought* one of the Walmart employees put it there to indirectly tell me that they didn't want me employed there. I impulsively put my two weeks in, and later retracted the two weeks notice once I realized that I was likely overthinking and didn't want to quit after all.

I later quit for good once I tried moving out of state the first time, which didn't end up working out so I came back, but it was at a new job. That's when it all started going downhill. Walmart was my longest held job and it still is. After Walmart, I've had a total of 16 other jobs, including nine of them during the year 2021. I was fired from three of the jobs due to impulsive outbursts of anger. I'm only 26 years old.

I remember my therapist suggesting the fact that I may have been misdiagnosed with autism and actually have BPD, which makes a lot more sense. I even typed in "I have BPD" on Google, and the first thing that pops up in the suggested search... "I have BPD and I can't hold a job." It was very eye-opening to me. In my life, I've met two other people with this disorder and they have similar experiences with jobs.

If you've seen my posts around the forum, you would know that I love my current job. I have transferred between two different stores in this time, but I have two and a half years seniority with the company. I see this job outlasting my time at Walmart unless something crazy obviously happens. It seems I have more control over my BPD based on my time at this particular job. I still struggle with other symptoms like disassociation and self-identity issues, but I'm improving as a person.

I don't think I've ever gone into this much detail about this before. Thank you to anyone who's actually read this all. It means a lot you sat through my long explanation of my experience with this.

TLDR: I was misdiagnosed with autism at a young age. I actually have BPD. Yep. That's it.

I am not formally diagnosed (nor self-diagnosed) but I have had my suspicions for a while. The biggest example that I can relate to the most (and that I see talked about a lot in regards to autism) is not knowing what to say in conversation; basically feeling as if everyone but me received a script. I never know what to say and I take forever trying to come up with replies to people via private messages/email.. Live text chat/phone calls/in-person conversation is so much more difficult for me so I try to avoid it as much as possible. Eye contact is weird too, I can maintain eye contact but I find my mind wandering during it, wondering if I'm making too much eye contact, wondering if it's right to look away and when/where I should look to, etc. and so I end up not remembering a lot of what the person that I was talking to said (unless it's someone I'm really comfortable with, like my mom or my husband). I feel like I can read people pretty well.. I just dunno what to say to them.

Idk if I have sensory issues? I hate being in crowds or even just moderately busy places. I hate the sensation of wearing make-up/hairspray, so I don't. I hate using graphite pencils. I hate any drink that isn't water. But for all I know those could simply be normal dislikes rather than sensory issues.

I can also be pretty sensitive and really dwell on something negative someone did/said to me, or something negative that I did/said, and I'll never really truly move on from it. Even if it's something small I'll still be thinking about it 10+ years later.

I can also relate to the concept of hyperfixating; for example five years ago I came across a betta fish subreddit and before I knew it, I was researching everything I could about betta fish and fish keeping for hours and hours, everyday, for a few months. Thought I was an expert at this point so I got my own 10 gallon tank, properly cycled it and everything, and my fish still died within a few months despite all the research and care that I did 🙃 Anyway.

Last edited:
Nope.

I've always wondered, but I don't think much would change if I got a diagnosis. I also notice I don't have the sensory issues that traditionally show up.

I don't think I am, however I have had some friends suggest I am autistic. I don't think they understand how autism actually exhibits. I am a little socially awkward at times, and can be very blunt/monotone, but that is not due to some underlying problem.

I do suspect I have some mild inattentive ADHD, but it is expensive to get diagnosed where I live. One time I took a university class with my sister, and she would point out to me I am constantly fidgeting, looking around, and moving when nobody else in the class is moving at all. I cannot listen to someone speak for more than 5 minutes at a time, often leave tasks undone for excessive amounts of time.

I have grown exceptionally effective at working very efficiently in short spurts of time - I knew growing up that if I didn't do a task immediately, it would not get done. So I would do homework in class before the bell rang, or not at all. I often wonder how effective I would be in my career and hobbies if I was able to focus successfully, but I am able to hold a job and keep up with necessities. Plus, my wife is around to help me :)

I was tested at age 12. It was requested by my school. As it turns out, I indeed did not test positive for autism. I've always been a social outlier, both online and offline. And a little eccentric. So it didn't surprise me that a teacher wanted me examined. (as i never related to many people at school and, as a result, I was relegated to being alone).

I did however test positive for some serious anxiety disorder issues.

To which, I am thankful that I have a great doctor. I was able to get the proper help that I needed. Finding the right medication was life changing and freeing for me.

Bringing this thread up so I can talk about this...

First and foremost, I am autistic, confirmed by a formal diagnosis when I was a kid. It seems people have a lot to talk about in this thread when it comes to autism, so here I am about to ramble on about it too.

I won't go into detail about everything for personal reasons though, so all you should know is that IRL I stink at social skills, feel out of place when it comes to the norm, and tend to go through different hyper-fixations. My current hyper-fixation is on Kieran from the Pokémon Scarlet and Violet DLC; I have sympathized with him throughout the story, especially during The Teal Mask. I am also easily bothered when I overhear things being said a certain way (usually loud, shrill, and/or rude, especially when curse words are used). I'm not sure if it counts, however. What certainly counts is that I used to be echolalic when it came this kind of stimulus.

As for what I think about my autism, I'm neither proud of it nor do I hate it. One one hand, it has helped me to discover most of my online friends, who have revealed themselves to be within the spectrum. On the other hand, it makes me seem outlandish compared to everyone else I know. I just see it as something I need to live with, whether I like it or not. Even though I can't cure the autism in me, I know at some point I have to change myself for the better.

Yeah, I got diagnosed at 17 so it was pretty late in life. The process was a major pain to go through and doesn't feel all that worth it aside from gaining closure. I've been chillin' about it, though.

Oh yeah, I guess it explains why I've been hyperfixated on the same game for nearly 20 years, lol. Aside from some other habits.

I am not diagnosed but suspect myself to have it, I am however diagnosed with BPD which has a history of being misdiagnosed in AFAB individuals ( which I am ) over Autism. I also personally feel like I do not even meet BPD diagnostic criteria anymore

I used to be really admant on wanting an answer a couple of months ago but for me it's not currently a possibility. The waitlist is too long and if I had an autism diagnosis it could result in my immigration being denied ( I am risking it even with BPD ). There is no way I'd be able to afford to go private

I do feel that it is very likely considering things like that run in my family. My Dad is autistic, my brother has ADHD, I have cousins who are autistic. I used to feel like I needed an autism diagnosis so I could validate myself especially towards those who are judgemental towards myself. More specifically I have always been an outcast among others because of my "childish" interests ( see username lol ) and I struggle to talk to others. But having an autism diagnosis won't change the minds of people who are mean and judgemental anyways

Looking into the self-diagnosis process ( although I do not feel it's right for me and don't feel comfortable self-diagnosing I know that it can work for others and support it ) actually helped me a lot. I learnt about masking, and other things. I learnt about sensory issues I have that I didn't even know were sensory issues, I just thought something was wrong with me. I learnt about certain behaviours of mine that are stimming, and additionally how benefitial stimming can be in my life. For example: I struggle to leave the house by myself mainly due to the judgement and looks of others, but when I have a fidget toy with me it makes it 100x more bearable, and I can't leave the house without one now. A big thing that made me think about it in general is in relation to special interests which are a very big thing in my life, in a positive and negative way for many reasons. I feel like I need to have my special interest on every aspect of my life, mainly because it just helps me function better. But it can also impact me in ways like being unable to sleep, eat, take care of myself, ect.

Regardless of diagnosis I think that we should all just be ourselves regardless. I used to think that I would need a diagnosis to justify doing things that comfort me ( stimming, dressing the way I want to, bringing stuffed animals around, having abnormal interests ). I would love to know an official answer but for now I'm just happy being me regardless of what label is or isn't attached to it

Back