• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Languages you would like to learn?

moonford

moon boi
Bells
Ruby
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
Leif
I'm currently trying to learn Japanese because it seems like it's just handy to know!

I'm going to try and learn Portuguese and Spanish too (I'm going to Spain next year and my friend is Portuguese so why not?), I'm going to give German and French a go as well once again as I'm not fully certain that I'm fluent in those yet.

Konnichiwa, de ip-pun desu 17:30, de mata.
Hello/Good day, in 1 minute it will be 5:30, see you later.

Last edited:
Japanese isn't simple. Portuguese and Spanish are far easier, especially if English is your native language. They're pretty similar to English.

It's not even just the written language thing that's different for Japanese. The spoken language is very different too. There's different levels of formality, the concept of in-group and out-group, the different sentence structure, Japanese only has 2 tenses (hasn't happened yet and has happened - not past/present/future like English), etc.

Spanish but having already become fluent in Polish I know it's a lot of work learning (and especially retaining) a language. I'd like to spend some time in Latin America and learn it on the go but it's become increasingly harder to get away for extended periods of time. :(

I'd like to finish up learning Spanish, so I can communicate better with my grandmother. I'd also love to learn Italian and Mandarin. I can read a fair bit of Japanese, but any desire to finish learning it has vanished.

I would love to learn Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Russian, and Bajan/Patois slang. I don't have a very strong affinity for learning languages though :(

Last edited:
I'm almost finished with my Spanish classes (so I can actually communicate with my family) but I have to start thinking about learning Japanese soon because I'll be staying there in Japan for a few months when I'm finished with my classes, so I figure it would be hard to get around without it!

Japanese isn't simple. Portuguese and Spanish are far easier, especially if English is your native language. They're pretty similar to English.

It's not even just the written language thing that's different for Japanese. The spoken language is very different too. There's different levels of formality, the concept of in-group and out-group, the different sentence structure, Japanese only has 2 tenses (hasn't happened yet and has happened - not past/present/future like English), etc.

I do agree Japanese is quite a hard language to pick up sometimes. I think grammatically it's a lot simpler than European languages, I feel like the grammar is a lot more logical (for the most part), but yeah, I find listening to the language to be hard at times because the sentence structures are so different, and speaking it is another thing entirely. Learning Hiragana and Katakana is challenging initially but then it becomes like second nature to just read it. But Kanji has been a constant battle for me the past 4/5 years I've been learning the language (admittedly I took a 2 year gap in between so I did forget quite a bit ^^). For me there's a lot of Kanji I can understand in English and I know what it means upon looking at it, but I won't know how to read it and I won't be able to write it myself. xD

Anyway I am studying Japanese at university so I guess I'm studying the language I've wanted to learn! I also studied German for a while at school and it'd be cool to pick that back up again.

I'd love to learn Spanish and Chinese because they're such huge languages and they might come in handy sometime. I already spreak English, Dutch, German and French and I can read Latin and ancient Greek for the most part but ehhhhh, I love languages. I want moooore ;o;

I'm currently learning Japanese and English, but would like to know more about Korean (basically just know the alphabet so far), Chinese and Russian, but I'm not that good at languages and have a bad memory for words, even forget my own native language.

Used to study Italian and Polish a long time ago, but forgot all about it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I do agree Japanese is quite a hard language to pick up sometimes. I think grammatically it's a lot simpler than European languages, I feel like the grammar is a lot more logical (for the most part), but yeah, I find listening to the language to be hard at times because the sentence structures are so different, and speaking it is another thing entirely. Learning Hiragana and Katakana is challenging initially but then it becomes like second nature to just read it. But Kanji has been a constant battle for me the past 4/5 years I've been learning the language (admittedly I took a 2 year gap in between so I did forget quite a bit ^^). For me there's a lot of Kanji I can understand in English and I know what it means upon looking at it, but I won't know how to read it and I won't be able to write it myself. xD

Anyway I am studying Japanese at university so I guess I'm studying the language I've wanted to learn! I also studied German for a while at school and it'd be cool to pick that back up again.

For me it's sometimes the opposite, I can read the kanji but forgot what it meant XD
I learned hiragana and katakana quite quickly like in few hours, but kanji is another thing, especially when they look alike with the same radical.

i used to be learning german and japanese but im basic af in japanese and i suck at german despite studying it in school for like 4.5 years haha. i don't want to learn any languages now and i have stopped learning japanese and german

im gonna go with the obvious choice and say japanese, and also french

I'd like to add Spanish and Polish to my skills, and I should definitely refresh my French as well.

French, Indonesian and Swedish.
I already speak Dutch German English(yes really) and a bit of French and Indonesian

oh and also South African, which is a lot like Dutch tho

Last edited:
I won't get into what languages I'd like to learn because someone on the forum made me feel like an idiot for saying them out loud, but I'll put in my two cents about learning Japanese.

It is an EXCEEDINGLY simple language to learn. It has very set grammar rules with very few exceptions. The hard parts are learning those rules and the verb conjugation that goes alongside them. Besides that, it's just memorization. Even the written aspects are just memorization, with both forms of kana easy to learn quickly and with absolutely no one who speaks Japanese as a native expecting foreigners to know the writing system outside of hiragana and katakana.

People see the kanji and stress the hell out, but don't worry about it. There are a lot of great apps and sites for learning Japanese, and it's easy to buy textbooks and workbooks. Don't be afraid to learn it. It's a lot of fun.

I'm currently learning Japanese and English, but would like to know more about Korean (basically just know the alphabet so far), Chinese and Russian, but I'm not that good at languages and have a bad memory for words, even forget my own native language.

Used to study Italian and Polish a long time ago, but forgot all about it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

For me it's sometimes the opposite, I can read the kanji but forgot what it meant XD
I learned hiragana and katakana quite quickly like in few hours, but kanji is another thing, especially when they look alike with the same radical.

I get that!! I remember we spent ages looking at radicals for different Kanji one week, having to learn all the different Kanji that week was a pain as they all looked exactly the same and it was hard to distinguish the difference between them all. Hahaha Kanji is a ***** but I've accepted that it's just gonna be a case of having to memorise it and practice it over and over until it sticks. :')

None but i wish all of the people in my english class would learn english so i wouldn't have to listen to them stumble over the same word over and over again when the overly cheery teacher picks them so that she can feel like she is making a difference in their lives while the whole time she's just annoying myself and lowering the person's self esteem

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, and i have a basic understanding of spanish

Back