• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

If you could learn one language instantly...

does sign language count? there’s not really any particular or special reason why i’d love to learn it, i‘ve just always admired how expressive it is, and i think knowing how to do it would be a super useful skill to have. you never know when it could come in handy, after all. my late grandmother actually gave me a pamphlet on the sign language alphabet a couple years ago, and i’ve been considering trying to learn it since. i haven’t gotten around to it yet as life has been a lot, and it honestly feels sort of intimidating (as learning anything new does for me), but i would like to give it a go. learn some basic signs, at least. learning it instantly would definitely be pretty cool.

in terms of spoken language, french or italian would be cool. i’m actually of italian heritage, but i admittedly don’t have any connections to my roots or the italian side of my family (dad’s side), so i’ve never really learned the language or any of the customs. it would be nice to learn, so that i could feel more connected to that part of me.

Last edited:
For me it's a you're between Korean and Japanese, just because I watch a lot of content from this countries. Probably Korean tbh, because I'm a big K-pop fan and would love to not have to read subtitles lol

Reactions: Azy
I would like to learn CHamoru. It is my family's native language. I already know a little bit but I am far from fluent.

I'd like to learn French. I'm really fascinated by French culture such as the music, art, and literature, so it would be the most useful language for me to learn. Like I remember reading some poetry by Victor Hugo in my French class and being amazed by it, so I'd love to be able to understand the language. I already learned most of the basics of the language in high school and college, and I'll likely continue taking French classes in uni. I can speak it at a beginner level, though I still need to make some progress to speak and understand it at an intermediate to advanced level.

Definitely Vietnamese.
Being a tonal language, it's a definite struggle for me and it's also hard to find resources to learn the exact dialect of our family.
However, it'd be nice to get fluent to converse with family and help my son learn as he grows to do the same.

I've thought about this for a couple days and i'm stuck between Japanese and Spanish. Spanish is the very practical answer, but Japanese because I love EGL and street fashion so i'd like to read magazines without needing translations, especially since some don't come translated...

I would choose Japanese. I already study it as my college major and it’s so overwhelming. To be honest I don’t enjoy the learning process very much. For me learning Japanese is a means to an end. Being able to just know it instantly would be so much easier. There’d be no need to constantly review example sentences or drill grammar.

My first choice would be...

Korean because the language is amazing and love the culture and entertainment. Currently, I knew some words and grammar points already, and will continue to learn more (road to no subtitles :D). I would like to visit to South Korea one day.

Honorable mention is...

French, same reasons here (language, culture, travel, entertainment).

I can work for Japanese since it's similar enough to Korean.

I need instant Mandarin Chinese please. Would make my life so much easier since I'm constantly getting clocked as Chinese. Also make my ordering at restaurants much easier. And I could talk with my friends' parents without relying solely on context clues :)

As many others have said, I'd choose Japanese, specifically to be able to enjoy video games and animé and manga without having to wait for translations, and perhaps to see what they're like in their original language, since some meaning is always changed or lost when things are translated and localized.

Japanese. I've always wanted to learn it. But I couldn't even memorize Hiragana. :p

Spanish or Italian without a doubt. What I'd give to sound that cool

It depends.. like, I know french but my grammer is still pretty bad, so I would go for french.
However, since I have good enough french skills to communicate, I would go for russian, actually!
I don't know why, but I really like the language and I could communicate with the Ukraines (they speak russian, not ukraine) next to me without translator :LOL:

Japanese would be the most useful and would allow me to play video games and read art books that I've been interested in that haven't been localized. But aside from that, Chinese or German would be nice, I like both of those languages.

I've had fun learning Spanish and Korean, and while difficult at times, I do enjoy the process, so I'd probably want to instantly learn a language that I'm interested in but realistically probably won't get around to. So I'll go with Japanese. I really like manga, so it would be nice to be able to read in Japanese, but I just don't have quite enough desire to actually take the time to learn it. When it comes to languages that are a bit more difficult for a native speaker of English, I think Arabic or Mandarin would be next on my list to learn after Korean

Classical Greek, including all the relevant vocabulary and idioms for what I want to read. When I have the time and money, I may audit a class for it. I’m not sure.

Or, like other biracial second-generation immigrants, the language of my non-English speaking parent. In this case, Tagalog. I feel like I’m really missing out. I’m probably going to attempt learning it again.

Back