• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

If you could learn one language instantly...

Azy

「最強!」
Bells
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Red Pansy
Red Cosmos
Pear (Fruit)
Happy Home Designer Token
Yellow Candy
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Orange (Fruit)
We all know that learning any language is a fairly hefty task outside of one's infant years, and the prospect of being able to communicate with an entirely different culture is always exciting. Whether it's for games, shows, family, traveling, etc... what language would you choose?

I'd love to leap forward in my Japanese studies personally, so I'll go with Japanese! I don't have any particular reason that I want to learn it other than curiosity, as I'm regularly immersed in Japanese entertainment and I'd rather not rely on waiting for English translations forever. I'm still a beginner, even after studying daily for months, so I could use the help ahaha.

I'd pick Japanese as well! It's one I definitely want to learn because most of the media I consume is Japanese, and it's definitely frustrating being so dependent on the localization whims of companies, but I've just got other priorities at the moment. ;u; I plan on getting back to studying it at some point once I've got other things out of the way, but if I could just zap all that knowledge straight into my head, I would.
...I'd need to keep a sharp eye on my spending budget though. The amount of video games on my wishlist would probably skyrocket.

I'd want to say French because it's a language that's close to where I live however, it would be cool to speak Japanese, strictly to play Japanese only games or read Japanese only manga/artbooks/light novels.

Reactions: Azy
Easily Japanese. Many things throughout my life were from Japan or influenced by Japan.
I wanted to take Japanese in high school when asked but was denied and forced to take another language. Idk why adults often asked me what I wanted and then say no. 🙄
It could have led to a career honestly. USA and Japan do a lot of business with each other.

Spanish. I already know how to speak it and read/write to a certain level. However, I still need a lot fine tuning like memorizing where to place the accents, how to roll my “r”, and memorizing which verbs don’t follow the feminine and masculine rule.

I'm jumping on the Japanese bandwagon. I actually started learning Japanese years ago, self-taught online with sites like Duolingo. But eventually I reached a point where I was struggling too much and no longer had the time to invest in it, so I quit.

I do consume quite a bit of Japanese media so a lot of the vocabulary I learned has stuck. Plus I continue to pick up new words every now and then from shows and movies. I just had issues when I got to the more complicated sentence structures and I also got a bit overwhelmed by the amount of kanji.

There are lots of languages I'd love to learn, but I believe I'd have an easier time with most of them. I'm sure I could learn Japanese, but I'd do better in a class setting with more free time to devote to studying.

I'd really love to learn te reo maori. It's a native language here and I just love learning about their culture and everything. I wish I had taken it in school or uni, or had gone to a school where it was taught more.

Japanese is a close second. I love japanese entertainment, food and culture and would love to visit Japan one day so it would be helpful!

Aside from Japanese (which I'd love to learn).. I think it'd be cool to learn Polish or Czech. Honestly I think all languages are cool and I've always been in awe of those who can fluently speak more than one language!

It would have to be Mandarin Chinese for me! My Chinese side of the family can all speak and write it and I want to learn! I was going to try my Rosetta Stone over the summer since we bought it A LOONG time ago but I decided to go for the Spanish Rosetta since I am taking that course next year! But once I become fluent in spanish after many years I'll definitely learn Chinese! Languages are so cool and I want to learn as many as possible as I get older so that I can communicate with all kinds of people! ITS ALSO GOOD FOR MY FUTURE RESUME MY PARENTS SAID

I would definitely pick French. As someone living in a French-heavy Canadian province, it would be extremely useful and convenient on my part, especially since I'm not very fluent. Although if I had to pick a language I know next-to-nothing of, then it'd be Japanese. I'm interested in the culture and I'd be able to play Japanese-exclusive games (like Tomodachi Collection and Dobutsu no Mori).

It’s tough to pick just one for me, but I’d say French. French is the one I’ve been most interested in learning, and I’ve already spent the better part of 5 years learning it (though you’d never know). I want to learn Swedish because that’s where my dad’s side of the family is from, and Russian.

My number one would be Portuguese. I am half Portuguese but can't speak the language, only understand a fair amount thanks to having learned French and Spanish at school. Not knowing the language has been so in the way of getting to know my Portuguese family thanks to the language barrier and it always made me feel like I'm missing out on half my cultural identity (which I do).

Close second would be Japanese, because I too consume a lot of Japanese media. Third would be Czech, because my husband is Czech and it would be neat. Czech is insanely hard though, I've tried 😅

My number one would be Portuguese. I am half Portuguese but can't speak the language, only understand a fair amount thanks to having learned French and Spanish at school. Not knowing the language has been so in the way of getting to know my Portuguese family thanks to the language barrier and it always made me feel like I'm missing out on half my cultural identity (which I do).

Close second would be Japanese, because I too consume a lot of Japanese media. Third would be Czech, because my husband is Czech and it would be neat. Czech is insanely hard though, I've tried 😅
I absolutely understand how you feel, half my family is Puerto Rican and it does feel harder to connect at times. Luckily, my 5 years of Spanish in highschool (despite me not caring to retain it back then) is enough for me to get the general gist of basic things. It’s definitely in my sights to brush up on Spanish and get fluent after Japanese becomes more natural. Good luck with Portuguese in the future!

EZ. Spanish. There's a high Spanish speaking population down here and it would just be more practical.

Back