• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Politics Are Still Trending

Do you have a problem with politics still trending?

• Total voters
I don't think that discussing politics is a problem. I think it's necessary, actually.

I'm all for learning about and discussing the current nature of government and running things for the betterment of the people under the jurisdiction of said government.... but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore in US politics

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about government and economics. I am more of a scientifically inclined person, biology major. However I just see so much corruption, pandering, selfishness in the system that I can bear to begin my mind on what to do to make the situation better. In the science community, you can only talk your way into so much, but need the work ethic, research, and evidence done to really make a claim (there is then professional criticism on said theory/research/hypothesis which leads to for the most part formal discussion). I don't see that at all in politics. You can do so much good, but if you have enough resources to put together a professional team to slander someone's name (as many people do from both political sides) then all your work doesn't mean crap. And vice versa, if you have enough money to put yourself in a good light then facts and track record mean nothing.

Politics annoys the crap out of me, because I know its in a terrible situation right now, I don't know what to fix it, and every time I try to talk about it I just get belittled for the very thoughts I have. Its corrupt and slowly degrading as far as content-wise and relevance. The mainstream media does nothing to help with any of it in my opinion.

Rant over. Science is better. This was stress-relieving to write.

TBH it's getting a bit annoying, ?n?. but whatever its fun to see some of the disagreements and such. And I guess i get a bit of politic info from here? I dunno. But it is getting repetitive...

As a European I'm a little tired of all the American politics all over my tumblr dash (and Star Wars tbh). I signed up for Eurovision and Star Trek (and Les Mis :D) not American politics and Star Wars, lol.

No. I don't understand why some people complain about being overloaded about politics when the reality is that most people don't have enough political involvement. There are numerous videos showing that people can name pictures of movie stars and musicians with near universality, but most people can't name important leaders in government. People memorize song lyrics and movie quotes, but don't memorize much of the constitution of their government. If you aren't passionate about your values and interests being represented in government, then someone who is passionate about it will get their way. When people say they don't care about politics, what that really does is enable extremists to take control while everyone else is just passive bystanders. If all of the people who didn't care all of the sudden did care, then they would have a major say in who gets to govern and chances are politics wouldn't be so crappy then.

Don't forget that a lot of people aren't Americans and have no say in your politics anyway. Of course they get tired of it. I myself know all about my own country's politicians and I do care about my values and interests being represented. I know exactly who I am going to vote for and why. Also, plenty of people are politically involved but don't want to be on the internet because they don't want to share their political views and/or use the internet as an escape from reality.

However, on the Bell Tree forums it's perfectly fine. The American president is important, you can't deny the USA is an important country and it does effect everyone everywhere.

I guess what I am trying to say is that discussion threads are fine, it being important news is fine but I'd prefer it if it wasn't all over my tumblr dash. :/ People please keep your politics for your personal blogs and don't spam your fandom blogs with it.

Last edited:
Yes, right now I do because I have to keep hearing people complain and bash about Trump 24/7. Then those who support him are not allowed to have an opinion. Only those who are opposed to him may go around saying what they like with much less risk of getting chewed out.

As a European I'm a little tired of all the American politics all over my tumblr dash (and Star Wars tbh). I signed up for Eurovision and Star Trek (and Les Mis :D) not American politics and Star Wars, lol.

I'll take American politics over Eurovision any day of the week though. :p

Yes, right now I do because I have to keep hearing people complain and bash about Trump 24/7. Then those who support him are not allowed to have an opinion. Only those who are opposed to him may go around saying what they like with much less risk of getting chewed out.

That is a double standard set by liberals. The good thing about double standards is that it's finally showing how evil liberals really are. Not just to conservatives, but also to those who don't even care about politics. Part of the reason why Trump won was because of the lies and hypocrisies that the liberals (government, journalists, and citizens) done. That, their opposition to freedom just to satisfy their emotions, and their intolerance towards people that disagree with them lead to people voting Trump to prevent this from happening any further. And the liberals are still complaining. So they're still gonna talk politics no matter what.

Last edited:
Honestly both candidates were **** though. I don't care if you preferred one candidate over another because they're the better of two evils, which is understandable. But if you genuinely supported Trump or Hillary, I think you're pretty ****ed up or uninformed.

Last edited:
politics is a consistent everyday thing. it doesn't really start at presidential campaigns and end at an inauguration.

I'll take American politics over Eurovision any day of the week though. :p

I think you just perfectly proved my point. :D If I keep my Eurovision neatly tagged on a blog for Eurovision it won't bother you so no harm done. Why can't people do the same thing for their politics? Keep it on their personal blog and tagged neatly, not all over their fandom side-blogs. ^^

I think it's fine. Actually think it would be nice if there were more reasoned debates on here that didn't descend into chaos...

But anyway, when I was at school I literally had no idea about politics. I just never had any opportunity to discuss it with anyone and so I was pretty uninterested as I wouldn't understand what's going on. So any kind of discussion and opinions on the matter I think are helpful.

*Pot calling the kettle black*

But they are. Conservatives may have been less friendly towards LGBT and minorities because of their oppositions towards same-sex marriage and allowing transgenders to use bathrooms of their gender identity, their support for voter ID laws, stand your ground laws, and a stronger justice system, and their support towards smaller government. However, liberals are filled with hate towards anyone with conservative views (not liberal government employees, but liberal commoners and journalists). Some conservatives hate liberals over their political views, but the hate is coming from the liberals more.

I'm going to go watch Fox News. A trusted news network. Fair and balanced. Most Watched, Most Trusted.

Politics will always be talked about for a while now since Trump got elected and people have their butts hurt.

But they are. Conservatives may have been less friendly towards LGBT and minorities because of their oppositions towards same-sex marriage and allowing transgenders to use bathrooms of their gender identity, their support for voter ID laws, stand your ground laws, and a stronger justice system, and their support towards smaller government. However, liberals are filled with hate towards anyone with conservative views (not liberal government employees, but liberal commoners and journalists). Some conservatives hate liberals over their political views, but the hate is coming from the liberals more.

You yourself have on many occations proclaimed your hate towards liberals. I personally see a lot more of hate and degrading comments from people with conservative views, not here on TBT but on other sites. You're biased, just as I am but the point is that demonizing people with differing political views will only increase the polarization and split your country even further apart.

You yourself have on many occations proclaimed your hate towards liberals. I personally see a lot more of hate and degrading comments from people with conservative views, not here on TBT but on other sites. You're biased, just as I am but the point is that demonizing people with differing political views will only increase the polarization and split your country even further apart.

You're right. I am biased, and I have said comments that look down on liberals over what they believe. But when I was talking about how bad liberals are, I'm sorry for generalizing the whole group. I know very well that not all (and not even most) liberals behave like what I described. I was purposely pointing out the vocal minority of the left-wingers that are on the far-left, not all of them. I'm okay with moderate-left and middle-left, but not far-left.

Conservatives may have been less friendly towards LGBT and minorities because of their oppositions towards same-sex marriage and allowing transgenders to use bathrooms of their gender identity,

Because choosing not to let two consenting adults in love get married (Which doesn't even affect you, anyway) and forcing transgender and gender non-comforming to use bathrooms where their safety is at risk is just being "less friendly". :lemon:

personally i think politic threads are very annoying and i'd be the happiest camper in the world to not see another one

Being gay or black isn't a choice. Having racist or homophobic views is a choice. So if a racist hates a black guy and a black guy hates a racist person, those are not equal and opposite. One person hates the other for no reason while the other hates for a very good reason. In places like the U.S. and U.K., conservatism is being used as a front for white nationalist movements. Real conservatism is about free markets, free trade, and expanding civil liberties. Trump is for none of these things and that's why many prominent conservatives were anti-Trump. Unfortunately, a lot of conservatives have chosen to get thrown in the blender with white nationalism in order to get votes, and as a result it's hard for liberals to look at conservatism as a serious ideology anymore.

Back