• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Caves and Spelunking

VernalLapin

hey, moon
Bells
Red Rose
Red Rose
Flimsy Watering Can
Spring Sakura
Rotating Fool's Egg
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Dino Plush
Floral Train Car
Ruby
Sweetheart Easter Egg
What do you think about caves? Have you ever visited any? And what do you think about spelunking?

I think caves are pretty cool. My family and I toured Talking Rocks cavern in Missouri and it was really neat! I think we saw a salamander in there too! I’m not very claustrophobic, but I still wouldn’t go into tight crevices. However, they had two simulations there called speleoboxes. They’re wooden boxes with tunnels built into them to mimic caving. I did them both and they were really fun!

*flashbacks to the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Underground and the old man saying "spelunking" a lot*

Uh, anyway, I think they're neat, but I haven't been in too many before.

I went into an underground cavern last summer. It was a tour. Also my first time seeing a cave since second grade.

There were a group of loud kids behind us who kept shouting profane and random sexual comments. They looked to be aged 12-13 (aka middle school). The cave was fascinating, but they kept yelling while the tour guide was speaking.

There was an adult behind them. I assume he was a teacher or parent. He spoke up once or twice, but had no control or authority over them at all.

I think it'd be cool to visit the opening of a cave but I wouldn't wanna venture in too deep. I would definitely never go in a cave that is prone to tides/flooding.. Idk how anyone does that underwater cave diving stuff, thats insane

I think caves are pretty fascinating. Although I'm not into spelunking, they're definitely a neat tourist destination. I've visited Shenandoah caverns and Luray caverns on field trips in Virginia and they're amazing. I especially liked the stalagmite formation that resembled fried eggs in Luray caverns.

With regards to video games, I LOVE exploring caves in RPGs, especially Mt. Coronet in Pokemon D/P. They're full of dungeons and hidden areas that I want to explore.

Reminds me of the 1987 NES video game Spelunker. Man, that tune is catchy... 🎶⛑️ I've cosplayed before as that very cave explorer (who dies if you fall like, 5 pixels down) but no, I've never actually been cave exploring. I wouldn't mind a guided tour though. 🤔 I'm with Goldi Locks and would rather explore some abandoned building, if that's what she meant. At least an abandoned shopping mall would instill Vaporwave and 1980's nostalgia in my mind instead of worrying about inhaling toxic natural gasses or plummeting to my death inside somewhere dark and treacherous... 😅

I'm with Goldi Locks and would rather explore some abandoned building, if that's what she meant. At least an abandoned shopping mall would instill Vaporwave and 1980's nostalgia in my mind instead of worrying about inhaling toxic natural gasses or plummeting to my death inside somewhere dark and treacherous... 😅
Come on everyone, let's GO!

caves are pretty cool aesthetically but spelunking is terrifying to me to be honest lol. every one of those stories about a person who goes spelunking and ends up dead because they got themselves trapped or got buried in debris freaks me out terribly.

Last edited:
I have been to a decent number of touristic caves and my partner used to be a speleologist, so that was a big hobby of his where he used to live. Where we live now there aren't that many caves / an active community that he could participate in unfortunately (that we know of). Some things that he has done sound kind of dangerous to me though. 😬

My partner even used to excavate and explore and one of his colleagues named a phenomenon after him since he was the first one to witness it which is a bit funny/silly.

I've never been to a cave. I'd be open to visiting one and checking it out, at least to a shallow degree, just for the experience. More inclined toward the touristic caves like Flyffel mentioned. However, I'm not squeezing through those narrow passages. I've seen too many stories about people dying while caving.

i think i have spent too much time down the youtube rabbithole of "top worst deaths" and a good amount of them involves being stuck in a cave so i'm gonna have to say no thx to this anytime soon.

I've visited a few caves in Tennessee, and I think they're ok. I can see the appeal, but personally I wouldn't go out of my way to visit one again.

And I can't get behind spelunking. My first time learning about it was reading about an accident that occurred, so now that's at the forefront of my mind when I think about it.

Back