• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What anime should I watch?

KawaiiPanda

Bells
Red Pansy
Okay, so everyone is crazy about anime. I would like to see what they are all getting excited about. Not that I want to fit in but I would like to discover new things. So put your favorite anime below and why I should watch it.

Note - PLEASE no spoilers!! Also you can discuss with others who watch the same so feel free to. :3 :)

I personally recommend Ajin. It has a unique artstyle compared to other anime, but if you can look past that, it has an interesting story and it's easy to understand. It's about a special type of humans that can come back after death. You cannot tell if you're an Ajin until you die, however, so there's no way of knowing beforehand. Anyways, it's a decent show and it's on Netflix if you want to watch it. :)

Osomatsu-san

A comedy anime. Don't watch it if you're not okay with dirty jokes.

A fairly good intro anime in my opinion is the two episode mini-series "Little Witch Academia"
It's got a lot of things that show how charming anime can be, without any of the weird things that'd normally make people avoid it altogether.

From there, if you want to watch more, there's quite a few genres to pick from. Here's a few good choices.

Shounen:
Shounen is generally considered "fighting anime" in essence. There's a lot of action in these shows, but they're also known for their length.

Hunter x Hunter (148 episodes) is a show about a boy who wants to become a "Hunter", and find his dad. (Slightly bloody)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (38 episodes) is a show about the two brothers who, after trying to bring their mom back from the grave, have their bodies taken from them, and are trying to find a way to get them back. (Fairly bloody)

Boku no Hero Academia (Ongoing, currently 10 episodes) is a show about a boy who wants to become a hero in a society where everyone has superpowers but him.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (~100 episodes, Ongoing) is about the adventures of the Joestar family and their encounters with supernatural entities known as "Hamon" and "Stands". (Fairly bloody)

Comedy Anime:
They funny

Angel Beats (13 episodes) is an anime about a boy who wakes up and finds out he's dead and in the afterlife. He and a group of students work against an entity known as "Angel" to keep themselves from passing on.

Saint Young Men (2 episodes) is about Jesus and Buddha living in the world as they enjoy a vacation from their normal duties.

One Punch Man (12 episodes) is an anime about a man who can defeat any of his foes in one punch.

FLCL (6 episodes) is an anime about a boy who gets run over, hit in the head with a bass guitar, and robots begin to periodically spew from his head. This series can get a little sexual in nature at times due to it's themes (maturity, sexuality, puberty) so if that makes you uncomfortable it's best to leave this one alone.

Konosuba (12 episodes) is an anime about a guy who dies, and in the afterlife he's given the choice of going to a fantasy world in a chance of reincarnation. It pokes a lot of fun at traditional RPG tropes. This anime is also fairly sexual, so again, avoid if it makes you uncomfortable.

Mecha Anime:
Giant robots.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (27 episodes) is a show about a boy who lives underground, and his efforts to live on the surface upon finding a mech buried in the earth.

Code Geass (50 episodes) is about the ongoing struggle between the subjugated Japanese against the "Britanian Empire" in a world where the Americans lost the Revolution. The main character is given the power of "Geass", in which he is able to control people.

Gundam Wing (49 episodes) is about 5 guys who use really advanced mechas to help liberate their respective colonies from the empire that controls them.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (26 episodes) is about a boy who is told to pilot a mech he's never seen before to defend the world from an onslaught of "Angels". (Extremely gory near the end)

Drama anime:
These have a lot more focus on the plot and the characters.

Death Note (37 episodes) is an anime in which our main protag finds a notebook that, if you write someone's name in it, will kill them. He decides to judge the guilty with this notebook and the series follows the struggles between him and the detectives trying to catch him.

Madoka Magica (12 episodes) is an anime in which our protag follows around magical girls who go on nightly hunts to kill witches, supernatural beings who seek to kill the innocent as a sort of food. Technically magical girl is it's own genre but I think this fits here.

Clannad + Clannad Afterstory (44 episodes) is an anime about sadness. You wanna cry? Watch Clannad.

Last edited:
If you want "anime" but still want English, try watching Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra. It'll give you a bit of a feel (although it differs a lot from most anime) but it'll still entertain you to the max.

Osomatsu-san

A comedy anime. Don't watch it if you're not okay with dirty jokes.

VLL1GRH.jpg

I also recommend this but don't take partake in the fandom. It became twice as more incestous than Game of thrones.

Personally, I think one piece is the greatest anime of all time. I know ppl who hate anime but like one piece :)

Watch Fullmetal Alchemist if you're into action, adventure, and an awesome plot. Or watch Your Lie in April, (my avatar) for a short and more romantic, musical, and occasionally sad anime.

Madoka Magica- That Zephyr Guy already explained it.

Erased- A dude has the ability to go back in time around 5 minutes in order to stop something bad from happening. His mother gets murdered, taking him back to when he was a kid, stopping a series of murders from happening that lead up to his mother's death.

Charlotte- Some in adolescence are gifted with an ability that only last the duration of their adolescence. Some will abuse their abilities. There is a school of children who all have these abilities, and the student council stop those abusing their abilities. It gets much more deeper later in, which I can't explain without giving spoilers. It was probably one of my favorite animes

On tumblr people are spamming this bungou? Bungo? Stray dogs anime on my dash nonstop 24/7 and the characters look cool from what I've seen

I personally won't be watching since I have 0 patience but I appreciate good art styles

if you want something good watch Ouran highschool host club

if you want to scream at your screen because of the characters lack of logic watch When they cry

Last edited:
Back