• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is your favorite obscure anime/show?

i have seen nearly/heard of every media on here.. i feel like it makes me really chronically online lmao

anyways, one show that literally NOBODY talks about (or at least in my circle of friends), is the show "Oswald". i think this is because it aired just before midnight/sunrise and i had a ****ty sleep schedule as a kid. it was such a calming show and it still is! everything about it was so comforting. the theme song is just beautiful:
LIKE LOOK AT OSWALD AND TELL ME HE ISNT THE SOFTEST BEING YOU'VE EVER SEEN

For how amazing it is, Saiki K is way too unknown for my liking. They didn't even bother finish the dubbing for it. It takes it time to get into character development and actual storybuilding, but it's soo worth it. I usually avoid subbed animes because I just prefer multitasking and don't want to just concentrate on what I'm watching, but even reading didn't make the rest any less special or funny.

Though part of my enjoyment might be that I prefer personal stories over super cool supernatural stuff. I think the reason I adore it might be the reason it just doesn't completely appeal to an average viewer.

Count me in as another fan of the Oblongs. That show was so good.

For anime, there are probably a lot. Off the top of my head, Witch Hunter Robin is a great supernatural action show with a lot of character depth and a good story to back it up. It delves into the moral dilemma of a 'craft-user' hunting witches. What really separates the two and will the hunter eventually become the hunted?

Le Portrait de Petit Cossette is a visually stunning gothic psychological thriller. It includes romance and tragedy to bring out the emotions while also getting into your head with the imagery and storytelling.

—Dr. Slump
—Urusei Yatsura
—Maison Ikkoku
—Ranma 1/2
—The Drifting Classroom
—The Laughing Salesman
—Inubaka (a manga about a girl who works at a pet shop)
Post automatically merged:

i have seen nearly/heard of every media on here.. i feel like it makes me really chronically online lmao

anyways, one show that literally NOBODY talks about (or at least in my circle of friends), is the show "Oswald". i think this is because it aired just before midnight/sunrise and i had a ****ty sleep schedule as a kid. it was such a calming show and it still is! everything about it was so comforting. the theme song is just beautiful:
LIKE LOOK AT OSWALD AND TELL ME HE ISNT THE SOFTEST BEING YOU'VE EVER SEEN
I remember being kind of obsessed with this show omg

Evil Con Carne is a pretty obscure cartoon that is used to be aired with The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy as part of Grim and Evil segment in the series' early seasons. Before Billy and Mandy took center stage in later seasons.

I still remember that Evil Con Carne existed till this day.

Super Secret Secret Squirrel could be said the same as it's one of those segments that I've only watched 2 Stupid Dogs for. It's a super obscure cartoon along with the main cartoon. It's a cartoon that despite being a reboot, basically carried the show on season 1 and makes 2 Stupid Dogs stand alone without bringing up comparisons to Ren and Stimpy. Even at times, surpassing the original 60's version of Secret Squirrel.

One of the few examples of revivals done right while bringing something new to the table.

In a nutshell, Super Secret Secret Squirrel is the only good thing that comes out of 2 Stupid Dogs.

Parasyte the maxim is my favorite anime and it's technically obscure, so that.

Shinichi Izumi is the main character and is who I'm most like in anime, plus the show just really shows how humanity can be sometimes. It's a very action-filled, but also feels-filled show.

That show, has about millions of people on mal and anilist seeing it, and i'm pretty sure, that alot of people talk about it on discord servers and forums outside of where you hang out with.

Not sure how obscure it is, but it is an old anime. Baccano! I’m still disappointed that there never was a season 2.
Not in the slightest bit obscure, i see girls go crazy over redfield all the time and issac and miram best power couple ever i even got a manga copy saving that 4 my bday.

That show, has about millions of people on mal and anilist seeing it, and i'm pretty sure, that alot of people talk about it on discord servers and forums outside of where you hang out with.

True. It is ranked #216 on MAL and #42 in popularity overall, which isn't bad. However, I don't see anyone I come across rarely ever talk about it. And the people I do come across that know about it usually dislike it.

I don't hang out on most other Discord servers and forums cause most of them are complete crap.... so 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: Doesn't help that there's now a famous movie by the same name, called Parasite.

True. It is ranked #216 on MAL and #42 in popularity overall, which isn't bad. However, I don't see anyone I come across rarely ever talk about it. And the people I do come across that know about it usually dislike it.

I don't hang out on most other Discord servers and forums cause most of them are complete crap.... so 🤷‍♂️
The only good kind of discord server, are ones with your close friends you trust and can get on with and not some god forsaken circlejerk/clique of chronically online idiots who have nothing better to do than to just make others as miserable as they are.

Mal ratings/rankings honestly are worthless they shouldn't be used as how reliable a show is enjoyable or not, i mean i literally saw hell girl ages ago and its now my all time favorite series.

Paranoia Agent, Penguindrum, Tsuritama are very good and in my favorite list too.

Not sure of what counts as obscure but what comes to my mind is: Rainbow #567

Rainbow is about a bunch of teenagers in the 50' detained and trying to survive in a reform school where guards abuse of them. It's rather dark and violent but also very good.

View attachment 511745

Another would be House of Five Leaves #2103

View attachment 511746
About a timid and gentle ronin involved with a gang named the Five Leaves. I saw this one a long time ago but I remember finding it kinda poetic and I liked the art. The relationship between the two main characters was interesting.

Another interesting relationship was the anime No.6 #505
View attachment 511748

In a futuristic and 'perfect' city the naive Shion lives carefree among the elites, one day he meets Nezumi (rat) who is a fugitive from outside the walls. Their encounter will change their views on life and the utopia city.

I had to look on MyAnimeList popularity list because there are plenty of anime that I feel people around me don't know much but their rank in popularity is high so...I will update the previous ones with their popularity rank as well.

View attachment 511763 Uchouten Kazoku #1358

I didn't feel like that one was that obscure but it's not as popular as I thought. It's about a family of tanuki and their tensed relationship with tengu and humans. It's a bit dark, because humans want to make stew with tanuki but also poetic. Sorry I'm not good with words.
Literally everything on your list isn't even considered obscure in teh first place, its just that the people you're hanging around with prolly hasn't even seen it or if they did its not on their top 5 list.

I've seen rainbow cosnidered to be one of the most popular series among dudes alot on places i hang around online.

The only good kind of discord server, are ones with your close friends you trust and can get on with and not some god forsaken circlejerk/clique of chronically online idiots who have nothing better to do than to just make others as miserable as they are.

Mal ratings/rankings honestly are worthless they shouldn't be used as how reliable a show is enjoyable or not, i mean i literally saw hell girl ages ago and its now my all time favorite series.

Also true. I don't use MAL ratings when looking for new anime to watch, actually. I get the opinions of my friends and people I know, cause they usually have good taste. Because of this I've never dropped an anime before.

Was just bringing it up cause you mentioned how many people are watching it and talking about it, so I was reaffirming your point. Anyway, I digress. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also true. I don't use MAL ratings when looking for new anime to watch, actually. I get the opinions of my friends and people I know, cause they usually have good taste. Because of this I've never dropped an anime before.

Was just bringing it up cause you mentioned how many people are watching it and talking about it, so I was reaffirming your point. Anyway, I digress. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My taste is way too edgy and not exactly safe per work for say so im prolly not exactly the best person to be asking for recs as there is way too much stuff i like that would make anyone have a heart attack lmao.

For me, i just watch it of my own intuition and not from someone elses rec.

Black Spot (Zone Blanche in French) is a show of two seasons related to a policewoman living in a black spot where several murders occur even if there is not a lot of villagers. There is something mysterious about the forest sourrounding the village, some disparitions, and a event that took place when she was young... It's full of celtic mythology and is really good!
Infortunately we'll never see an another season with the answers to all our questions. I feel really bad about it.

Duckman is another show that you don’t hear a lot of people talking about. It had some clever writing and societal jokes in it and there’s even a joke where one character asks when the V Chip in tvs were coming out after a few utterances of what sounds like a naughty word and how big it is at first but is really about a bird. The show also killed off these two teddy bear like characters in some very creative ways only for them to inexplicably pop up again in the next episode sort of like Kenny from South Park.

if you've seen me post in the anime thread, you probably know what obscure japan-only anime I like. Granted, it DID get 2 of its seasons dubbed, but they were netflix exclusive, so I don't really count them as a part of the PreCure series. I am planning on watching Hirogaru Sky and Tropical Rouge soon, but Sky takes priority because Cure Wing is by far my favorite modern cure.

Kirby: Right Back at Ya. It's a pretty good show that not many people seem to know about.

Kirby: Right Back at Ya. It's a pretty good show that not many people seem to know about.
I think more people are aware that it exists but can’t find ways to watch any of the episodes aside from the ones included on the Kirby Collection for the Wii and the 3DS video.

I think more people are aware that it exists but can’t find ways to watch any of the episodes aside from the ones included on the Kirby Collection for the Wii and the 3DS video.
It might be a little more well known but I think most people haven't actually watched much of it. Like you said, a lot of people only watched those episodes.

Not sure how obscure it’s considered to be (it is a little older at this point), but I adore the Aria anime series. Such a sweet, soothing slice of life show.

IMG_9113.jpeg

Samurai Pizza Cats (because it was probably the first anime I watched as a kid). I think its one of those animes where the dub is just silly and they said whatever.

Saber Marionette J (I still think it had a banger of an intro + ending songs thanks to Megumi Hayashibara). Loved this series when I was younger and watched the other series that came after. Harem comedy that takes place in the future where women are extinct so men create female androids.

Last edited:
Back