• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Upgrading to Windows 10

Are you upgrading to Windows 10?

• I'm upgrading to Windows 10

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • I'm not bothering

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • I am not eledgible because Im running either an unsupported Windows service pack, or am using vista

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Im already using it :P Im using technical preview / insider program

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other option that wasnt listed above / I dont know what Windows is

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
Cortana IM COMING BABY!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Seems to be upgrading but haven't been asked for a licence key
Hope I'm ok

Is it like the same Cortana as the ones from the Halo games? If so, I love Microsoft's little nod to the series

I upgraded to Windows 10 late last night. I was able to reserve it and get it for free. My Windows 8.1 was a little laggy as of late, and it was nice to upgrade and see that it's not laggy now. I'm not quite used to Windows 10 yet so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Does anyone know how long the release waves are going to take? I still haven't been able to upgrade. :s

Does anyone know how long the release waves are going to take? I still haven't been able to upgrade. :s

If you reserved a free copy it should be less than a week. If you haven't, try restarting your computer and checking the notification thing in the taskbar and see if you can continue for the upgrade.

Windows 10 will probably load pretty slow for the first few times you load it. Just remember to remove bloatware, download CCleaner and clean registry, and restart once or twice and it'll be working super fast.

Heads up to everyone - if you are getting Internal_Power_Error please message me and I can help you fix it. It's a problem with certain Nvidia and AMD graphics cards.

Hi
Go to the windows download tool and select either x32 or x64 bit system
Download that and choose whether you want to install or create media (choose install to install now).
Should take around 3 hours maybe more maybe less.
Can bypass the notification thing its what I did and worked fine.

The process will run as follows:
Initial download. This will be a small square pink purple box where it downloads the files
It will then verify your download. This should take about an hour ish
It'll then check updates and ask you to wait
Then click OK Language may be changes but this was fine

The box will fill the screen saying installing windows 10.
Shortly after, your system will shut down and restart, beginning the installation.
There are three stages at this point, checking files, installing features and drivers and then configuring settings.
Should take about an hour. Reboots during this a few times. It may stay black screen for a few seconds after, its nothing to worry about.
Will then continue the installation.
Thereafter it will ask you to log in with your usual password.
Then it will say getting things ready for you.
Then its done!
Best to do a reboot. It'll be slow to start with but will gradually become quicker

I'm one of the few people who finds Windows 8 to be tolerable (not saying that it's good).

That being said, I probably will upgrade to 10 eventually, cause it would be nice, but it's not priority.

Me too. I never understood why so many people hated it so much. It wasn't the best, but I mean it was far from being horrendously bad. I prefer Windows 10 because I missed the old Start menus, but I still get to keep the Windows 8 feel. So for me it's a win/win. Though some of the applications and process are seeming to run slow.

I.e. when I unpin things from the start menu they don't actually disappear unless I restart the computer. But that's pretty much it.

I reserved it early yesterday morning but I still havent gotten a notification saying the upgrade is ready :/. Its been over 24 hours. Is it supposed to take this long?

Windows 10 is much better than Windows 7 and 8 to me. It looks like a sleek windows 7 with an upgraded start menu that looks like a cross between the two versions.

I reserved it early yesterday morning but I still havent gotten a notification saying the upgrade is ready :/. Its been over 24 hours. Is it supposed to take this long?

Most people reserved it months ago so you're probably a bit further back in the queue. Remember that there are millions of computers than have to run a ~6GB download from Microsoft's servers. Doing them all at once would crash a ton of services.

If you are curious if it has downloaded, go into My PC (or C:\), go into View, and on the Show/Hide section check Show Hidden Items. If there is a folder named "$Windows.~BT" then Windows 10 either has downloaded or is in the process of downloading. If you right click the folder and check properties and it's anywhere between 3.6GB and 6.8GB there is a good chance it's done. You could try restarting your computer to see if it'll give you the option to upgrade.

- - - Post Merge - - -

how do i back my stuff up?

There are a lot of different ways. You don't need to because it will carry over all your files, folders, settings, apps, etc. If you're worried about Windows 10 failing and losing all your stuff, then you just need to figure out what you want to save and put it on a USB or upload the files to a site.

I'll get around to upgrading eventually. It sounds like a time-consuming process and I get impatient easily.

Windows 10 is much better than Windows 7 and 8 to me. It looks like a sleek windows 7 with an upgraded start menu that looks like a cross between the two versions.

I agree. The performance is great, and I'm impressed with all it's new features.

its been like three days and it hasent given me the okay to upgrade yet..is anyone else waiting this long? .-.

its been like three days and it hasent given me the okay to upgrade yet..is anyone else waiting this long? .-.

Follow the link DarkDesertFox posted. Mine never gave me an okay to update, but I followed that link and it let me download it

A lot of people (my friends and relatives included) are saying that Windows 10 is awesome so I'll definitely be getting it, but I'm not necessarily eager to upgrade either. I mean, it sounds great, and I do want to try it out, but I'll most likely wait a month before downloading it, since the bugs will probably be fixed by then and that allows me some time to clear up space on my hard drive haha. Besides, I don't hate Windows 8 (unpopular opinion), so I'm okay with keeping it for a bit longer.

Back