• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

A little thread to pay your respects for the victims of Malaysian Airlines flight 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lio Fotia

Sasha Haver
Bells
Red Rose
Mother's Day Carnation
Toy Hammer
Togepi Easter Egg
Green Fair Pinwheel
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Yoshi Easter Egg
If you have not heard, on May 18th about 300 people died in Ukraine when a commercial airliner was shot down from 33,000 feet in Ukraine airspace, killing all on board.

You can read more here.

I know this is an animal crossing board, however I still hope that it's okay to pay some form of respects. If not the mods can shut this down.

I heard about this today. What a tragedy.
My heartfelt condolences go out to family members and loved ones of the victims.

*Can I also just say, out of no disrespect for those who were lost, what is it with Malaysian Airlines?! Two tragedies in the same year from the same airline, that just aint right.

I read about it at work today, an absolute shame, and I'm sure my country will hold some form of service for the British thought to have been lost too!

It's a disgrace that the missile was sent of, especially since it's hit civilians. There was no need!

Thank you for making this thread. My condolences to the families who lost their loved ones.

I only heard about this now. Such a tragedy. My heart goes out to the heartbroken families that have lost someone dear to them.

Have they even found Flight 15 yet?

Not that I'm aware of. From what I've read they haven't found debris or a crash site. It boggles my mind that such a huge aircraft can just disappear.
I'll be surprised if this airline doesn't shut down soon.

I read about it at work today, an absolute shame, and I'm sure my country will hold some form of service for the British thought to have been lost too!

It's a disgrace that the missile was sent of, especially since it's hit civilians. There was no need!

The airline should have known better than to send a plane flying over a known warzone. The airspace they were flying in was even closed after a certain amount of feet in the air (I believe it was 32,000) by Russians. Pretty unwise to not fly around the Ukraine area to avoid something like this.

Last edited:
Heard about this earlier today. So, so sad :(. Condolences to all those who lost a loved one and to all that were affected by this tragedy.

The airline should have known better than to send a plane flying over a known warzone. The airspace they were flying in was even closed after a certain amount of feet in the air (I believe it was 22,000) by Russians.

Exactly.

*Can I also just say, out of no disrespect for those who were lost, what is it with Malaysian Airlines?! Two tragedies in the same year from the same airline, that just aint right.
I wouldn't blame the airline per se. It's still unknown what happened to the first flight, though their handling of the situation was lackluster at best. This one was completely out of their hands, I don't think many airlines think "oh our plane might be shot down today".

It's scary that it's the same airline company, sure, but that doesn't mean they're bad. Do keep in mind that flying is one of the safest ways of travel, and you're statistically safer traveling by plane than you'd be traveling on a bike or in a car.

I'm not sure how many people around me were affected by it, seeing as the plane took off from this country. Even so, my heart goes out to the people of both crashes. It's not something that should happen.

The airline should have known better than to send a plane flying over a known warzone. The airspace they were flying in was even closed after a certain amount of feet in the air (I believe it was 22,000) by Russians.

32,000 feet or lower was forbidden.

The plane was at 33,000 feet, so it was not breaking those rules

Moreover if the missile operators had been given proper training they would have been able to TELL that was a commercial flight and not a spy plane. Poor training is a huge factor in this case.

The airline should have known better than to send a plane flying over a known warzone. The airspace they were flying in was even closed after a certain amount of feet in the air (I believe it was 32,000) by Russians. Pretty unwise to not fly around the Ukraine area to avoid something like this.
There may be some error in it, but strictly speaking their decision was sound. It's insane that it was shot down regardless.

Moreover if the missile operators had been given proper training they would have been able to TELL that was a commercial flight and not a spy plane. Poor training is a huge factor in this case.

Yeah, I corrected my post. Still, even though they weren't breaking the rules, I don't understand why they weren't more cautious and rather have went around the area. Other airlines were able to.

flight-paths-ai2html-460.png

(top left is Malaysia Airlines)

Last edited:

Well. It wasn't the first civilian plane the pro-Russian separatists have shot done in these past weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back