• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing, which kind of ties in with the whole adaption thing, is that, from my experience, Americans want everything changed into their own culture and speech and phrases, whereas in the UK we watch the TV shows as they were broadcasted in the U.S., or we investigate and understand which school year is grade 8. I don't know if that's just me.

Yeah, we do that and I freaking hate it. There have been, like, three different TV shows based off Broadchurch in the last year and a half alone, and instead of Sherlock there's this show called Elementary where Watson is a girl. We expect people to do that, too, which really makes me mad. I mean, rather than trying to understand that immigrants are probably coming here because they have no choice and having a hard time, we get mad at them for getting jobs and demand that they completely abandon their culture now that they're on American shores.

Apparently Americans don't have dinner.
Honestly though, I love that Americans think tea time is a set time in which we English drink tea when it literally just means dinner, or rarely lunch to some posher people. It's a cute misconception, I don't like tea but I wish we had tea time in the way Americans believe it to be. It'd be a fun social opportunity, it'd be nice if it was more normal to ask friends out to drink tea/coffee and just chat.

yeah I always found it funny when I chat with Americans and tell them it's tea time or something and they're like whoa you have a set time for drinking tea?! I'm like .. no tea as in.. evening meal
:D

- - - Post Merge - - -

most people I know and see around drink coffee these days. it's probably more popular than tea lol

We call it tea time to have dinner but we do actually have a 'tea time'

A lot of people have afternoon tea at about 4pm! Tea and scones with cream and jam. SO.... GOOD.

A lot of people have afternoon tea at about 4pm! Tea and scones with cream and jam. SO.... GOOD.

That's very rare though. I've only known old rich people to do that and even then it's not a daily thing, more of a monthly deal. Weekly at most. Might be different else where in the UK, but just not as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
That's very rare though. I've only known old rich people to do that and even then it's not a daily thing, more of a monthly deal. Weekly at most. Might be different else where in the UK, but just not as far as I'm aware.

We do have it like that, just... on weekends? Ish? When people actually come over.
Otherwise it's just like "drown yourself in tea, mate, you don't have blood anymore, it's all tea".

So does that make it Boston Tea Party II?

Now I see a few religious differences here. Even if America had a freedom of religion, we Americans valued the Christian religion more than Europe has, including the UK. Even the least religious part of the US (aka the Northeast) is more religious than the UK.

The one question I have is that if the Northeasterners (or Yankees whatever you call them) don't value religion as much as the rest of the US, why isn't atheism as common in these states as they are in the UK?

The one question I have is that if the Northeasterners (or Yankees whatever you call them) don't value religion as much as the rest of the US, why isn't atheism as common in these states as they are in the UK?

I don't really get what you're asking here? As you said, the US is overall much more religious than the UK, so it's understandable that even the least religious states are still more religous than the UK..

Honestly though, I love that Americans think tea time is a set time in which we English drink tea

This.

Nobody in my family really drinks tea at all, it's pretty much just coffee. I don't drink either, I just drink water or juice.

I don't really know anybody else who drinks it either, they mostly just drink coffee or juice.

My best friend is pretty much the only person who enjoys "A good bru" but even then, he'll still probably drink coffee instead.

Yea...My nan does that as well...

I'm pretty sure 'actual tea time' is a dying trend if anything. I've never actually witnessed this strange mythological British event.

Hmm, well I think England has supplied the world with better art and literature. Architectural I also prefer England. I also like they have a longer history. Also love the cynical humour. I`m not sure if you can really call that last thing a true British thing, it just feels like it is for me. As in social climate and politics, I definetly prefer England as well.

On the other hand, I do like typical American sports, like American football and baseball. "Soccer" is still better for me, but that isn`t really a British thing, more a European thing. I also love the geographical diversity of America. It seems like a beautiful country. Britain is still beautiful as well though, I loved London and the countryside. New York is awesome for sure though. It has a lot of similarities with Amsterdam.

My College (University of Evansville) has a Manor in England (Harlexton) that you can attend for 1 semester, so I'm really excited to learn about English culture next spring.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Cookies = Biscuits
Biscuits = Scones
Fries = Chips
Chips = Crisps

What do you guys call Scones?

Last edited:
Some things That I like from both Countries

UK: Dr. Who, Harry Potter, Xenoblade, Metric System
US: The Simpsons, Family Guy, Star Wars, Valve

in Germany they have tea time too. And the get a break from work at 4 and everything.

Last edited:
Hmm, well I think England has supplied the world with better art and literature. Architectural I also prefer England. I also like they have a longer history. Also love the cynical humour. I`m not sure if you can really call that last thing a true British thing, it just feels like it is for me. As in social climate and politics, I definetly prefer England as well.

On the other hand, I do like typical American sports, like American football and baseball. "Soccer" is still better for me, but that isn`t really a British thing, more a European thing. I also love the geographical diversity of America. It seems like a beautiful country. Britain is still beautiful as well though, I loved London and the countryside. New York is awesome for sure though. It has a lot of similarities with Amsterdam.

I'm gonna have disagree with you on that. I mean, I'll give 'em D i c k e n s and Shakespeare -- *cough* who was Scottish *cough* -- but just look at the neo-classical literature that American authors are responsible for? Look at John Steinbeck, Edgar Allan Poe, and freaking Stephen King. Not just authors, too. I mean, what about Arthur Miller, Alfred Hitchcock, Stan Lee, Wes Craven, Walt Disney, and Audrey freaking Hepburn?
Why is everyone acting like America hasn't contributed to world pop culture just as much as the UK has?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back