• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna have disagree with you on that. I mean, I'll give 'em D i c k e n s and Shakespeare -- *cough* who was Scottish *cough* -- but just look at the neo-classical literature that American authors are responsible for? Look at John Steinbeck, Edgar Allan Poe, and freaking Stephen King. Not just authors, too. I mean, what about Arthur Miller, Alfred Hitchcock, Stan Lee, Wes Craven, Walt Disney, and Audrey freaking Hepburn?
Why is everyone acting like America hasn't contributed to world pop culture just as much as the UK has?

The title says UK. Scotland is part of the UK.
- Shakespeare was also born in Warwickshire. Warwickshire isn't in Scotland.
- D!ckens was born in Hampshire. Again, not in Scotland.
So whoever you were referring to, they're not Scottish.

Also, Stan Lee? As a total Marvel fanboy, 'Captain Cameo' gets way more credit than he deserves.

Last edited:
Hmm, well I think England has supplied the world with better art and literature. Architectural I also prefer England. I also like they have a longer history. Also love the cynical humour. I`m not sure if you can really call that last thing a true British thing, it just feels like it is for me. As in social climate and politics, I definetly prefer England as well.

On the other hand, I do like typical American sports, like American football and baseball. "Soccer" is still better for me, but that isn`t really a British thing, more a European thing. I also love the geographical diversity of America. It seems like a beautiful country. Britain is still beautiful as well though, I loved London and the countryside. New York is awesome for sure though. It has a lot of similarities with Amsterdam.

You can't really compare literature of a country that has had hundreds upon hundred upon hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of years to get it down to, a country that has only had what 300+ years. So of course when people have been in Europe before and longer than white people have been here you're going to have the head start and advancement. I mean I do agree with you, its just not a fair comparison as things we're really developed in the UK by the time America was 100% free.

Compared to the UK, Europe, I mean even parts of Asia, we're still in the rebel teen stage. Hit us up in 200 years and see what have then? (It'll probably worse, but who knows?)

Last edited:
The title says UK. Scotland is part of the UK.
- Shakespeare was also born in Warwickshire. Warwickshire isn't in Scotland.
- D!ckens was born in Hampshire. Again, not in Scotland.
So whoever you were referring to, they're not Scottish.

Also, Stan Lee? As a total Marvel fanboy, 'Captain Cameo' gets way more credit than he deserves.

Shakespeare was half-Scottish. Google it. And, honestly, I really want to see Scotland get it's independence from the UK. Nothing against Britain, but being in the UK has completely destroyed Scotland's economy.
I actually agree with you about Stan Lee. He was an amazing creative genius, but it sickens me how people are constantly forgetting about Jack Kirby. But, again, you can't say that the guy that created Captain America and the X-Men doesn't deserve some credit. Those are two of the best selling comic books of all time, and both of them had a direct impact on culture not only in the US, but around the world.

Shakespeare was half-Scottish. Google it. And, honestly, I really want to see Scotland get it's independence from the UK. Nothing against Britain, but being in the UK has completely destroyed Scotland's economy.

Yes, but no one would describe him as Scottish. He's English. I'm half Scottish but was born and brought up in england so I would never say I'm Scottish. (and I think Scotland is better off in the Uk tbh but that's a debate for another day)

I actually agree with you about Stan Lee. He was an amazing creative genius, but it sickens me how people are constantly forgetting about Jack Kirby. But, again, you can't say that the guy that created Captain America and the X-Men doesn't deserve some credit. Those are two of the best selling comic books of all time, and both of them had a direct impact on culture not only in the US, but around the world.

He was born in Warwickshire, in England. He was born in England. He is English.

Stan Lee didn't create Captain America....

Most of his CO creations are also highly up for debate for how much he really contributed. It could have been the whole idea, he could have also just said "I want something to do with a spider" and thrown that vague idea at the other guy to make something of.
Not to mention pretty much all of 'his' famous characters and work have the word 'co' in front of creator. Again, it's debatable how much he's actually done, especially with his reputation for not always being entirely truthful of his input.

This is a man who for the longest time claimed that he was the sole creator of Spider-man....Until he admitted he wasn't. Take everything the guy says with a pinch of salt because it's likely you're not even getting half of the truth.

Hell, the guy wanted a cameo in 'Batman vs Superman'! I mean...What? No, Stan Lee! Stop it!

The guy is fabulous with marketing and Marvel wouldn't be where it is without him from that. His creative input though is highly debatable. He certainly isn't somebody you should be using to represent great American writers when it's debatable to what he actually wrote.

Last edited:
America gets The Flash and Arrow first (I am so jealous :()
We get Sherlock and Doctor Who first

America says chips
We say crisps

America says fries
We say chips

Last edited:
Yes, but no one would describe him as Scottish. He's English. I'm half Scottish but was born and brought up in england so I would never say I'm Scottish. (and I think Scotland is better off in the Uk tbh but that's a debate for another day)

But he's Scottish by blood? I am so confused on this @_@

Stan Lee didn't create Captain America....

Most of his CO creations are also highly up for debate for how much he really contributed. It could have been the whole idea, he could have also just said "I want something to do with a spider" and thrown that vague idea at the other guy to make something of.
Not to mention pretty much all of 'his' famous characters and work have the word 'co' in front of creator. Again, it's debatable how much he's actually done, especially with his reputation for not always being entirely truthful of his input.

This is a man who for the longest time claimed that he was the sole creator of Spider-man....Until he admitted he wasn't. Take everything the guy says with a pinch of salt because it's likely you're not even getting half of the truth.

Hell, the guy wanted a cameo in 'Batman vs Superman'! I mean...What? No, Stan Lee! Stop it!

The guy is fabulous with marketing and Marvel wouldn't be where it is without him from that. His creative input though is highly debatable. He certainly isn't somebody you should be using to represent great American writers when it's debatable to what he actually wrote.

Wow, you've completely misunderstood a lot. Okay, see, the reason why Stan Lee is famous is because he came up with the IDEA for Captain America, Spider-Man, and the X-Men for Marvel. But, yeah, he put them to print with the help of Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby. He was still brilliant for coming up with the ideas and you can't say he wasn't. I mean, look at J.R.R.Tolkien. All he did was rip-off centuries old mythology from around Europe, change it slightly, and set the story in MiddleEarth. Plus, he was a terrible writer. Everyone I've spoken to agrees with me that Tolkien is a terrible writer with good ideas, but really the only idea that was actually his and his alone with the idea to make Elvish an actual language, which was brilliant. But I think he pretty much stabbed all ancient European cultures in the heart when he not only warped their mythology for his own uses, but he used to them to write a story that is a metaphor for Christianity. Does he get any hate?
No, and yet you're sitting here going off on Stan Lee -- one of the most brilliant minds of our lifetimes -- because he pulled the ideas for his characters out of thin air, and then went to his writer and artist friends and said, "Hey, you wanna help me turn this into a comic?" Oh, and, uh, also -- the reason he tends to get more credit than Steve Ditko or Jack Kirby is because those two are both dead! He's the only one alive to take the credit!
Who cares if he wanted a cameo in the movie? It was probably a joke, first of all. Second, he could be a Batman fan, which would make him even more awesome. Not only that but it is entirely likely that he probably knew Bob Kane, was/is a fan of his work, and wanted to be in the movie out of his respect for him.
And, no, no, no, no. NO. I never stated he was a writer just like I never said any of the others were writers. Arthur Miller was actually a playwright. Alfred Hitchcock was a director as was/is Wes Craven. Audrey Hepburn is one of the most iconic actresses of all freaking time. Do you know what Stan Lee has in common with them? They are all famous, iconic AMERICANS that have had a cultural impact on the world!
That is what Stan Lee is representative of in my original post.

So? He was born and raised in england. Even if he's half scottish, why would that override the english?

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that we in America actually refer to him as Scottish because it's more interesting???
I mean, everyone knows that he's British, but finding out he's Scottish by blood is just a funfact for us. It's probably because we don't know or aren't taught as much about the Scottish. In schools here, they pretty much drill the history of England into us because, I'm guessing, America was founded by the British (Virginia). But when it comes to, like, Ireland or Scotland, we have to figure out that our own because the history of how the Britain became the UK is conveniently left out.We're really only taught what's relevant to our country's history. Unless it's Global History, then we get hear about Britain tried to take over the world.
No offense.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that we in America actually refer to him as Scottish because it's more interesting???
I mean, everyone knows that he's British, but finding out he's Scottish by blood is just a funfact for us. It's probably because we don't know or aren't taught as much about the Scottish. In schools here, they pretty much drill the history of England into us because, I'm guessing, America was founded by the British (Virginia). But when it comes to, like, Ireland or Scotland, we have to figure out that our own because the history of how the Britain became the UK is conveniently left out.We're really only taught what's relevant to our country's history. Unless it's Global History, then we get hear about Britain tried to take over the world.
No offense.

but... he's not Scottish? And scotland is in Britain, so obviously he's british. But I've never even heard of people calling him scottish before (bcos he's not scottish i guess) I don't know why you'd pretend he's scottish to 'make it more interesting' but ok

also i don't know where you're even getting this 'half-scottish' thing from, from what i can find both his parents are english too?

Last edited:
but... he's not Scottish? And scotland is in Britain, so obviously he's british. But I've never even heard of people calling him scottish before (bcos he's not scottish i guess) I don't know why you'd pretend he's scottish to 'make it more interesting' but ok

also i don't know where you're even getting this 'half-scottish' thing from, from what i can find both his parents are english too?

Dude, I live here and I don't understand half the sh!t Americans do, okay?

It's what I was taught in school. That his mother, Mary Arden, was Scottish, making him half-Scottish.

Again, Stan Lee didn't create Captain America like, at all.

He came up for the idea for Spider-man and the X-men? Well, no, at the most we know he was there when the idea was floating around for them. I don't deny he was involved but then again, as I said, he was apparently the only creator for Spiderman until years later when he wasn't.

I'm not saying he had nothing to do with them (he had nothing to do with Captain America's creation by the way), just that his input is debatable to the point where he really doesn't deserve as much recognition as he has, especially compared to a lot of other people, certainly with other big names getting ignored almost entirely...such as the guys who revived the original failing 'Stan Lee' X-Men in the 70's, largely with the help of new characters like Wolverine (that Lee also didn't create despite popular belief)

They may also be dead but that's also not the reason for their lack of credit, especially in Ditko's case. It's more for the case that Lee took a lot/all of the credit for stuff he either didn't do or just more credit than he deserved. I mean, what's the excuse for lack of credit when they were alive?

And yea, why shouldn't he have a cameo? His super power is making friggin' cameos after all.

But yea, totally inspirational dude. Maybe one day I can be as successful as him by using at least 50% of other peoples work and passing it of as my own.

So whether or not somebody is a certain nationality or not depends entirely on how interesting somebody would find that scenario?

Adolf Hitler is a pure American patriot born and bred. There's an interesting fact.

Hitler.jpg

So whether or not somebody is a certain nationality or not depends entirely on how interesting somebody would find that scenario? Adolf Hitler is a pure American patriot born and bred. There's an interesting fact.
View attachment 91236

No. It depends on their genealogy, which happens to be very important and fascinating to Americans because most of us don't know where we come from. I mean, our country is called the melting pot a reason, but a lot of us still want to be able to connect with the cultures that our ancestors carried with them from the shores of their homeland. That's probably the reason why we care about any celebrity's genealogy, especially because if we find out their relatives are from the place as ours we feel like we can relate to them better somehow. And there is a difference between being Scottish and being British. The British didn't invent golf, Mary, Queen of Scots, didn't rule over Britain, Stonehenge was not built on British soil. I mean, it's like saying the Irish and Scottish are the same when they aren't. Obviously, not everyone cares about the cultural differences, but you can't just throw all those things out and be like, "You're British now. You have no culture and the British claim all your fame as our own."
And, btw, nice job completely ignoring everything I said about Tolkien.

Last edited:
No. It depends on their genealogy, which happens to be very important and fascinating to Americans because most of us don't know where we come from. I mean, our country is called the melting pot a reason, but a lot of us still want to be able to connect with the cultures that our ancestors carried with them from the shores of their homeland. That's probably the reason why we care about any celebrity's genealogy, especially because if we find out their relatives are from the place as ours we feel like we can relate to them better somehow. And there is a difference between being Scottish and being British. The British didn't invent golf, Mary, Queen of Scots, didn't rule over Britain, Stonehenge was not built on British soil. I mean, it's like saying the Irish and Scottish are the same when they aren't. Obviously, not everyone cares about the cultural differences, but you can't just throw all those things out and be like, "You're British now. You have no culture and the British claim all your fame as our own."
And, btw, nice job completely ignoring everything I said about Tolkien.

But he's still English.

Even with gene's, his parents were English. Their parents were also English. How far are we going back?

I also 'ignored' the Tolkien stuff because I'm not familiar with any of his work (as I'm not into that kind of fantasy at all), therefore I can't really make any type of statement about it other than "he's the Lord of the Rings guy, right?"

One thing I always forget every time I visit the US is the sheer space between everything and everywhere, I don't know if it's the places we visit but it seems like if you don't own a car you're stuck. In the UK you can probably bus-hop the length of the country if you set your mind to it. Also the lack of roundabouts in the US, everything is junctions! The cars also seem much larger in the US, and you see loads more pickup trucks.

THE ADVERTS. I don't know if it was just the few stations I was watching, but there were lots of ads during the program, but none after it, which made getting away from the tv so much more difficult than in the UK lmao

Also the political systems are very different, multi-party in the UK and essentially a 2 party system in the USA

I much prefer eating in the US though, I love the food! and I gotta admit I really like country music. People always seem really friendly too. also obvs the word differences that everyone's already said,

gas-petrol, truck-lorry, aluminum - aluminium, bathroom - loo ect.

and for what it's worth, I can't find anything online about Shakespeare's mother being Scottish.. their family grew up in Warwickshire as far as I can tell?

Last edited:
But he's still English.

Even with gene's, his parents were English. Their parents were also English. How far are we going back?

I also 'ignored' the Tolkien stuff because I'm not familiar with any of his work (as I'm not into that kind of fantasy at all), therefore I can't really make any type of statement about it other than "he's the Lord of the Rings guy, right?"

Whatever. Good for freaking him. It's like I already said, it's something I was taught in school, but apparently my teacher was a freaking moron, which doesn't surprise me none, honestly.

And how are you unfamiliar with Tolkien? He's J.R.R.Tolkien. Aside from successfully bastardizing European mythology, he also invented a genre of literature and -- BONUS FOR TEAM UK -- he was British! Don't they teach you about him in Literature class or whatever it's called over there (it's called English here)?!

Whatever. Good for freaking him. It's like I already said, it's something I was taught in school, but apparently my teacher was a freaking moron, which doesn't surprise me none, honestly.

And how are you unfamiliar with Tolkien? He's J.R.R.Tolkien. Aside from successfully bastardizing European mythology, he also invented a genre of literature and -- BONUS FOR TEAM UK -- he was British! Don't they teach you about him in Literature class or whatever it's called over there (it's called English here)?!

They might do but I didn't take English literature class for GCSE so I wouldn't really know.

I know who he is, I just couldn't make a comment about anything he's actually done unless there's a popular film adaptation (at least not of anything I haven't copied from Wikipedia). That sort of fantasy just doesn't really interest me ?\_(ツ)_/?

They might do but I didn't take English literature class for GCSE so I wouldn't really know.

I know who he is, I just couldn't make a comment about anything he's actually done unless there's a popular film adaptation (at least not of anything I haven't copied from Wikipedia). That sort of fantasy just doesn't really interest me ?\_(ツ)_/?

*HEADDESK*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back