• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Celebrating Diversity 2023: Arts & Crafts Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Staff
Senior Moderator
Bells
Island
Vylbrand
White Rose
White Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
celebratingDiversityGrassBanner.png

Animal Crossing Arts & Crafts Contest
June 7, 2023 - June 17, 2023

Welcome to our fourth annual Celebrating Diversity event! Each year we run this event in order to recognise and celebrate the diverse community we have here on The Bell Tree. This event runs in June to coincide with events that celebrate diversity in the real world: Juneteenth commemorates the end of African American slavery in the United States on June 19th 1865, June 21st is celebrated as National Indigenous Peoples Day in Canada, and LGBT Pride is celebrated this month in commemoration of the Stonewall riots in late June 1969. We observe these dates to recognise the hardships people have endured in an effort to progress equal rights, to celebrate where we come from, and to help further promote inclusivity. Here on TBT, we like to provide this space once a year where we can all celebrate our differences together.

Task

This year, we are going back to where it all began. The very first Celebrating Diversity event in 2020 was an art contest and this year we are bringing that back! Although this time we are also opening the event up to be inclusive of craft projects. 🎨

Draw an Animal Crossing themed picture, either traditionally or digitally, or craft an item that celebrates diversity and promotes inclusivity in a way that is meaningful to you. What makes you unique or celebrates where you come from? What are matters that you are passionate about? How you do that is up to your own interpretation, but make sure it's respectful and represents diversity as explained by this definition:

Diversity means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs or other ideologies.

Submit your entry by posting a picture of it here in this thread. The submissions will be voted for by the community (using like reactions) and the top most-liked ones will go to a community poll. The community poll will be used to decide our top three winners who will each win a prize!

It is up to you which medium you wish to use as long as it is static (no animations or videos) and visual (no poetry, prose, music, etc). You will have until 11:59PM EDT on June 17th 2023 to submit your entries.

Rules

• Entries must be your own work.
  • Entries must fit both the Animal Crossing and Celebrating Diversity themes.
  • No collaborative projects.
  • Submissions can be hand drawn or digital.
  • Animations are not accepted.
  • You can use craft supplies but cannot use other people's work or any other pre-made components.
  • A reasonable amount of effort should be put into your creations. Submissions that appear rushed or made as a joke won't be accepted.
  • All entries submitted are final. Please do not edit your entry after submission unless asked to by a staff member.
  • Your username must be visible somewhere in your submission.
  • Keep all creations appropriate for a PG-13 audience.

How to Submit

Submit your entry by posting it in this thread by 11:59PM EDT on June 17th, 2023. Your TBT username must be visible somewhere in the image. This can be either on a name card if your submission is physical or written directly on the artwork if your submission is digital.

Submission Checklist:
✅ Your entry meets both the Animal Crossing and Celebrating Diversity themes.​
✅ You have attached an image of your entry.​
✅ You have included your name card.​
✅ It is no later than 11:59PM EDT on June 17th, 2023.​

Prizes

• Participation Prize: All entries will receive one star fragment token to purchase one of the following four star fragment collectibles in the Shop:
1686171024279.png
1686171015352.png
1686171032448.png
1686171039646.png

(Red Star Fragment, Blue Star Fragment, Green Star Fragment, Yellow Star Fragment)

• Community Winners: The top three entries will receive their choice of one of the following two rainbow collectibles:
1686171124927.png
1686171143640.png

(Rainbow Star Fragment, Rainbow Feather)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who will decide who wins? The staff or members' votes?
A. The community will vote on their favourite entries using like-reacts. The entries with the most likes will then go forward to a public poll within a day of the contest closing. The recipients for the first, second, and third place prizes will then be decided on by the community.

Q. When will voting end and prizes be distributed?
A. June 25th 2023.

Q. Will the prizes be giftable?
A. The Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow Star Fragments are giftable. The Rainbow Star Fragment and Rainbow Feather will not be giftable.

Q. Can we only draw flat pictures or can I submit a craft?
A. Craft projects are also allowed provided that you make all of the components yourself. e.g. gluing a toy hat to your entry would invalidate it. If you have any questions about what would or would not be accepted then please do not hesitate to ask.

I'm really excited for this event! I can't wait to see everyone's entries. :blush:
For this drawing, I decided to bring back my custom villager (Nanuk) from last year's Villager Diversity Event! I made some slight changes to them, but overall it's the same cat from last year. ^^
I hope this entry is okay - It doesn't scream "Animal Crossing" that much, but I added as much elements from the series the best I could! (I was originally going to add my resident representative from NH, but couldn't figure out how to draw them.)

TBT Villager Diversity 2023 Event - Entry.png

Nanuk was having a good day so far; The island representative, Zelda, had gifted them a balloon in their favorite color. While they were parading their new gift in their house, they noticed something colorful through the window... A rainbow!

Nanuk ran outside to investigate, admiring the arc of colors. They also saw some nice-looking clouds above, including a heart and a familiar-looking leaf. (Did Tom Nook put that there?! Who knows...)

A balloon present passed by, but Nanuk was so excited to see the rainbow, they forgot their slingshot. They didn't mind, though. Nanuk felt very content standing in their yard with a pine tree and an inukshuk that reminded them of their hometown in Northern Quebec, Canada.

Now, you might look at this and think: Why is Nanuk facing away from the rainbow? Well, Zelda stopped by to see their cat friend and saw the rainbow. The island rep wanted to take a photo of it, and of course Nanuk had to pose for it!

Overall, Nanuk feels very lucky to live on such a wonderful island where everyone accepts them. They don't need to feel ashamed about their ethnicity or culture, or their ear + tail markings that tells a story of sexual orientation and gender identity.

The heart-shaped cloud and rainbow are a reminder for any passerby on the island that love is love, and that every LGBTQ+ person is 100% valid. Nanuk's yard decorations are what makes them proud of their Indigenous culture. They have found the perfect island to live in, and doesn't plan on moving anytime soon.

I so want a star fragment, I still don't have any. Not even aiming for the rainbow one.

i need the rainbow star fragment time for art 😁👍

A blue star fragment!🤩 Oh, I wonder if it will be enough motivation to fight my artist block.

I love seeing all the entries for this event! I don't really have any good ideas plus I'm not good at art so I'm not sure I'll be entering. I will definitely be voting though.

I'm comin' for a blue fragment! I haven't drawn in forever 🕺✨ 👨‍🚀

This is amazing, I love this event! Can I ask, can I enter with a digital collage?? collaging is my preferred method of expressing myself and Id love to enter with one <3

This is amazing, I love this event! Can I ask, can I enter with a digital collage?? collaging is my preferred method of expressing myself and Id love to enter with one <3
This sounds as if you would be using elements other people have created in your artwork. Would that be correct? If so it would not be an appropriate medium for this event, because you are required to make all of the components yourself.

This sounds as if you would be using elements other people have created in your artwork. Would that be correct? If so it would not be an appropriate medium for this event, because you are required to make all of the components yourself.
It would be more a digital collage made of real world photos and ofc animal crossing elements. I can source everything myself (as in use my own photos), but if its more hassle than its worth for you to verify I made it myself Im happy to think up another idea!

Aw man....I have an idea I want to do, but... The spirit is willing, but the art skills are weak. Thank you for giving plenty of time to work on it!

Thank you for the generous time allotted to submit! I've really enjoyed 2/2 of the previous Celebrating Diversity events I've participated in. Making our own AC villagers last year was hard (but really enjoyable), because I am so terrible at drawing animals, but I still really, really love my OC villager Marsi. I think I have something cute I'd like to draw for the event this year, so can't wait to work on it this weekend! 😊💖

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back