Animal Crossing Switch leaks

Feunard

~ Restless dreamer ~
Bells
Switch
2606-0981-9794
Searching on the internet looking for some Animal Crossing Switch information, I bumped into this: http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/444912794/animal-crossing-leaks

I'll copy the text here for anyone who might have problems opening the link.
I know how excited everyone is for the upcoming game and I wanted to give you all some info about Animal Crossing 2019.
Just to give you some background: Development began in 2016 with an intended release year of 2019. It was being worked on concurrently with Splatoon 2 and development really ramped up when that game shipped.

Animal Crossing was actually not supposed to be announced in the September Direct. Nintendo was preparing to make promo material for Isabelle?s reveal as a challenger in Smash Bros but they realised that her appearance without any mention of a mainline AC game coming to Switch would receive massive backlash from the AC community. So they contracted the same contractor who made Isabelle?s Smash trailer to also make a quick CGI trailer using existing assets. I believe the intended reveal date was January.

Now onto the meat of the leak? Animal Crossing 2019 will be entitled Animal Crossing: Welcome Home and is targeting a release date of March 2019. I?m not sure about the exact date as plans are in flux dependent on whether or not Nintendo feels they are able to hit their self-imposed target of 20 mil Switches. I don?t really understand how it can come out so soon but that is the date I?m hearing.

Finally, I have seen gameplay footage of the game and it is something to be excited about. They have made great strides in the graphics of the game and it is exactly what you would expect from a Switch game: dynamic lighting and shadows across the board, embrace of physically based rendering and no dynamic resolution!

Isabelle will be back in AC:WH so you all can rest easy. They have made so many nice QOL changes and big gameplay changes across the board. Villagers still remain a little neutered personality wise but they participate in town management much more actively this time. They?ll do stuff like contribute significantly to public works project and pick up weeds. Their dialogue is also much more varied and interesting.

In terms of online multiplayer: There won?t be like a huge online hub but there will be an Animal Crossing Plaza clone where you can post drawings like in Splatoon 2. Dream towns will make a return so I eagerly await to see people coming with cool stuff like Aika town. The game will use the Nintendo Switch Online app for voice chat and will have a Splatnet 2 esque interface to let mayors easily share stuff like patterns and such. There will also be a calendar to let players keep track of in game events as well as to create play appointments with players over the internet.

Obviously, we must be careful while reading this. It might be true, but, like most leaks, there are strong possibilities this is all false.
Personally, when I got to the part where it says "Villagers still remain a little neutered personality wise" and then "Their dialogue is also much more varied and interesting." I started wondering about the truthfulness of the leak. Apart from the uncertain meaning of "neutered personality", if that means that villagers' personalities will be a bit static, then how can dialogues be "more varied and interesting"?! Maybe I just didn't understand that, but also the whole online multiplayer thing is not so credible, in my mind.
On the other hand, I think the information about the development and the releasing date might be true.

What do you think about it?

This contradicts the Back to Basics leak?

Personally I don't know anything about Nintendo's marketing, but I don't believe this. I feel that if the game were coming out in March, that's only two months away, Nintendo would have SOME kind of reveal by now. I mean, with Pok?mon, they usually reveal a ton before the games actually come out. I know that NL didn't have a huge marketing push, but with how long some fans have been waiting for a new AC game, you'd think Nintendo would make an official reveal.

Welcome Home sounds so much better than Back to Basics. Whether or not the leak is true, the part about the neutered personality is probably talking about how snooties, crankies, etc. have their snootiness or whatever dialled down but with more varied convos. Anyways I'm not gonna take any leak too seriously until I see actual footage.

Last edited:
Back to Basics sounds like a completely unrealistic name, Welcome home sounds like a very good name to ship the product with. I don't think the writer saying 'the villagers are neutered' is contradicted by 'varied and interesting'. Neutered just means not as aggressive as in wild world and gamecube game. However, varied and interesting tells me there is a much larger volume of character text. The character text in acnl was definitely very small - think just how much dialogue was about food! You can have tame conversations about lots of different subjects, it just means you're more unlikely to see the same conversation over and over is what I get from it.

This SEEMS believable, other than them aiming to announce it in January with a March release. However, Animal crossing also isn't a game like smash brothers, there's not exactly a hype train, because it's not exactly like they can release new characters and such near monthly that really excite the consumer, nope, the wait for an animal crossing game is frankly very boring. So maybe it is believable that they would aim to release it 2 months after it's announcement.

Rest in peace weed towns.

No, but really, if all you can share is that they've made the game look better and some "quality of life" changes, this is either sounding mega dull sequel-wise or just another attempt at something believable.

Well, this one sounds at least better then that other leak in this board. But still, I'm very sceptical
about this. If it's supposed to be coming out in March, then Nintendo needs to drop a huge AC only
Direct this month, because I doubt that they would release a game just in two months without any
informations whatsoever. Sure, Animal Crossing is not as huge as Smash, but still, the fans needs a
few informations so that they know what's going on. Other then that, "Welcome home" sounds nice,
even if I have that feeling that there will be some people who will mistaken it for "Welcome amiibo".
And that point with the villagers sounds also interesting, as long as they doesn't end being watered
down again like in New Leaf I'm fine with it.

Still, I'll wait for official news from Nintendo and I hope they finally give us some this month. The wait
for it gets more and more painful to be honest...

We'll know 100% whether or not this is real in like a few days wth the January direct.

Right now it's just a rumor that there will be a Direct. If Nintendo doesn't announce one tomorrow then
we'll not getting a Direct this week.

Last edited:
All of the leaks are fake.

We can discount the back to basics one as fake right off the bat since it would make no sense for Nintendo to backtrack on features in their most well known, best selling game to go back to the opposite of that which most AC Switch players won't have even played. The audience for AC 2019 will even largely consist of kids born AFTER Population Growing was released!!

This one is fake too. We can tell because it makes no note of new features that would be highlighted in trailers and directs and treehouses. All it does is make vague predictions like "Isabell will be back" "villagers will be bland still but do a bit more than in past games" "it looks good and lighting is nice because switch game" "online will be improved but not as big of a feature as some might expect". These are basically features that are givens if you look at how past games changed from one to the next.

Heck, they even give themself an out on the release date. "Could be March 2019 but maybe not."

Last edited:
Meh, I'm not trusting or getting excited about anything until we get an official announcement tbh

I'm not relying on this leak, but the name "Welcome Home" is so cute. I love it! Praying for this name to be true. Also... I never knew I needed a calendar in the game until I read this, lol.

This is the first time I've heard of leaks but god "March 2019" please be true because I'm actually dying over here. I do truly hope the characters interact more, in ACNL I found myself getting bored of the repeated (and not very personal) dialogue and was just mashing B through them. I do hope they give us a Direct this month...

With how it is written, it seems believable, but I definitely think we should tread with caution on believing it or not. Animal Crossing: Welcome Home sounds like a really cool name though! :) When it comes to that confusion you pointed out about villagers, I think it could be referring that the same personality system is set in stone, but how the villagers talk will vary a lot more (I hope the new game will have dialogue just as rich or richer than the Gamecube AC!).

Right now it's just a rumor that there will be a Direct. If Nintendo doesn't announce one tomorrow then
we'll not getting a Direct this week.

They have one every January, so it would be stupid to not have one this year.

Sigh. As much as I'd like to believe this, I learned my lesson about leaks after the Smash Grinch leak. We'll find out soon enough anyway.

They have one every January, so it would be stupid to not have one this year.

Yeah, I know, but we still have to wait for a confirmation from Nintendo if there will be one this week
or later. I see already people on Twitter freaking out because of rumors and fake announcements.

Back