• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Your Favorite Indie Games?

DarkDesertFox

Your Typical Trickster
Bells
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Shooting Star
Tetris Grid
Kirby Easter Egg
Rainbow Feather
Chocolate Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Lately I've realized quite a few titles I've played are Indie titles and have actually turned out to be some of my favorite games. What are some of your favorite titles out there? What other ones are you interested in or recommend others to play?

My favorite indie games:
- Cuphead
- Risk of Rain 2
- Stardew Valley
- Hollow Knight
- Overcooked 1 & 2
- Undertale
- Streets of Rage 4
- Castle Crashers

Other Indie games I enjoy:
- Muse Dash
- A Hat in Time
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- Gang Beasts
- Tower Unite

What I'm interested in trying:
- Celeste
- Dead Cells
- Huntdown
- No Man's Sky

Slay the Spire
Oxenfree
Night in the Woods
Superliminal
The Talos Principle
Baba Is You
The Witness

Right now I really wanna pick up Ooblets, it looks so cute.

I'm generally not a fan of indie games but I have enjoyed the following (I think they are indie...?):
Surgeon Simulator
Octodad
Don't Starve
Sea Salt

Objectively speaking, I can see the appeal of Stardew Valley but it actually stressed me out moreso than Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons

I think the one indie game that I love the most is Slime Rancher. Other than that, I've enjoyed Celeste and Cuphead.

Slay the Spire
Oxenfree
Night in the Woods
Superliminal
The Talos Principle
Baba Is You
The Witness

Right now I really wanna pick up Ooblets, it looks so cute.

A channel I follow on YouTube showed some gameplay of Ooblets. Looks pretty interesting! Only $20 on Xbox right now I might pick it up.

My favorite indie game is Knytt Underground. An exploration platformer that doesn't get nearly enough attention imo. Well worth a look.

Other ones I've enjoyed quite a bit are Cave Story, Axiom Verge and Dead Cells. Oh, is Terraria indie? If it is, it definitely belongs here too.

I'm not one for indie games, but Pizza Tower looks interesting. I'd rather it be on the Switch as I can't do Steam sadly...

I'm hoping the next Indie World will actually showcase it this time.

A Hat in Time, Bug Fables, Undertale/Deltarune... I will probably have more once I get the chance to play them!
Edit: I forgot Night in the Woods.

Last edited:
Definitely Ooblets! I love how weird & different it is from other cozy games I play. I love how they continue to have updates for the game, but I wish also a whole new game (sequel) can be out as well. I really enjoyed the humor of the storyline. 😄

I really like Kindergarten Buddy Edition and Think of the Children! for the Switch and I do like Cuphead’s art style and writing but I don’t really play it as I’m really really bad at shoot ‘‘em up games.

I do not have a list of which games are indie, so I don't know. Definitely Contradiction, Pathologic 2, Minecraft, The Council, Shapeshifting Detective, and Point and Click adventure games. I can't really stand games like Hollow Knight, Celeste, Cuphead, that one popular dungeon game (forgot the name) that tries to be a new Zelda. They feel so unimmersive and the gameplay is a bit repetitive or shallow--combat stuff. Same probably goes for the overly anime-story type games.

I really prefer creative gameplay and deep immersive worlds, often gameplay that relates somewhat to solving stories and exploring around to do so, talking to people and finding things, unless the story's already part of everything you're making, like Banjo-Tooie and Mario Odyssey's explorations, so like A Hat in Time. Those are my favorite of all, but Tooie's just on a different level.

However the light but pervasive story-involvement of New Leaf is why I consider it a top tier game (exactly the same thing with A Link to the Past). It's a perfect pervasiveness. New Horizons is just creating and that's not good enough, when in Minecraft you can create rich online campaign worlds and fun games with friends. New Leaf is where it's at, an alive-feeling purpose and world that feels like you're part of some story. Like ALttP, almost exactly the same ratio ❤️. Games like these I want recommended to me, where you're exploring your sandbox and doing creative things, whether planning visualizations and relationships (New Leaf) or solving these concepts and relationships (ALttP and adventure games).

They're "sandbox" open worlds, but sandboxes aren't huge kingdoms, they're sandboxes--a place or lair to make your home, and focus in on actually doing stuff instead of roaming everywhere killing things (like new Zelda).

It's Classic Nintendo magic.
The little stories and creative solvings. Banjo-Tooie my favorite game has all that too but it's different, and just like Animal Crossing, you backtrack and revisit the places you've been creatively engaging with, thus there's a history and sentimentality to your world.

Last edited:
Hollow Knight for sure! I was so obsessed with it that I had all of the map and item locations memorized. Amazing music, atmosphere, and challenge.

Celeste: Beautiful game and a huge challenge with awesome music. The movement feels so good and natural.

Undertale/Deltarune: People make fun of it, especially because of the fandom, but there's a reason it became a massive hit. A really strong story with a heartwarming and funny cast. And a unique premise that was mind-blowing to me at the time, since I'd only ever played your typical adventure/EXP-gaining games before then. Also, love the music.

OneShot: The OG Undertale to me. Very similar vibes and beautiful story and music.

Hatoful Boyfriend: NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT, but an incredible story with an amazing cast. Hilarious too.

A Short Hike: Heartwarming, beautiful art, and unironically helped remind me that there is so much beauty and love in the world during a depressive phase.

Songbird Symphony: Cute rhythm-based game with an adorable, lovable protagonist. Underrated.

Rakuen: HOLY CRAP THIS GAME MADE ME CRY SO MUCH. So so beautiful, heartwarming, and touching. Prepare to cry. Amazing music.

Eastward: Beautiful art, fun characters, and cool mechanisms and abilities. Some parts (like the story) felt a bit confusing and frustrating to me, but still, it was clearly made with a lot of love, and it was a treat.

To The Moon series, Omori, Undertale / Deltarune, Night in the Woods, Gris, Oxenfree, Stardew Valley, Sayonara Wild Hearts, What Remains of Edith Finch and A Space for the Unbound are what come to my mind first-- but I know for a fact there are many, many others haha. Indie games are so fun!

I mainly play indie games at this point lol

Favorite "Big" Indie games (more well known):
-Stardew Valley
-Undertale+Deltarune
-Henry Stickman

Favorite Indie Indie Games:
-Every Nomnomnami game, but my favorite is probably Starry Flowers. She's most well known for Bad End Theater and Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet.
-Butterfly Soup 1 and 2, can't believe the second game released before I was 30!
-Kyle Is Famous (it's like if the stanely parable was the erik andre show)
-Murder House (that's the name of the game!)

It's so easy to fine great games just go on Itch.io and explore

Back