• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Anyone play indie games? Or other none main stream games?

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
I sometimes feel like Im the only one here xD

I just prefer scrolling through Steam or other sites for games made by smaller developers or look really cool. Alot of my favorite games are Indie games,

Lamento, Togainu no Chi are my favorites. but are pretty mature. But great stories. Also love older FNAF games.

Like mainstream games are cool, I play my share for sure but when it comes to finding a new game I usually scroll through Steam.

Idk I just feel like im one of the few who does cause I see alot of mainstream games but not like many smaller games like Night in the Woods, Choo Choo Charles, Tattletail, games like that. Or like older Fanaf games, Danganronpa Im surprised doesnt get mentioned alot on here. I mean my favorite game dev makes mature games but defently arnt super mainstream.

Id love to chat indie games with you if you do, always looking for new titles to try out

Last edited:
I really like Gibbon and Ape out ! You might to check them out 🥰

I don't play many indie games, but I'm pretty sure The Binding of Isaac could be considered one. I don't hear a lot of people talk about it anywhere. I don't play it often but it's a pretty fun game.

I don't play many indie games, but I'm pretty sure The Binding of Isaac could be considered one. I don't hear a lot of people talk about it anywhere. I don't play it often but it's a pretty fun game.

Binding of Isaac was huge for a while but, y'know, once it finished development and all DLCs, yeah it died down a bit.

Yeah I do play indie games, of course. Majority of games in my Steam library are indie.

Ohh I didnt notice this thread got replies!
I really like Gibbon and Ape out ! You might to check them out 🥰
Whats that one about sounds interesting?
Ive never really ppayed it, my friend really likes it though
Binding of Isaac was huge for a while but, y'know, once it finished development and all DLCs, yeah it died down a bit.

Yeah I do play indie games, of course. Majority of games in my Steam library are indie.
Which games do you have??

Ohh I didnt notice this thread got replies!

Whats that one about sounds interesting?

Ive never really ppayed it, my friend really likes it though

Which games do you have??
Oh boy

Bolding my favorites
  • Alba: A Life Adventure
  • Binding of Isaac
  • Bunny's Flowers
  • Calico
  • Camped Out!
  • Chicory: A Colorful Tale
  • Children of Morta
  • Coffee Talk
  • Coffee Talk 2
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Dog Sled Saga
  • Duskers
  • Eastshade
  • Embr
  • Emily is Away <3
  • The Enchanted Cave 2
  • Equilinox
  • The Escapists
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Fire Tonight
  • Firewatch
  • Florence
  • Forager
  • The Forgotten City
  • Fragments of Him
  • Game Dev Tycoon
  • House Flipper
  • I Was A Teenage Exocolonist
  • Ittle Dew
  • Ittle Dew 2+
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
  • Kind Words
  • Kynseed
  • Lake
  • Leaving Lyndow
  • A Little to the Left
  • Littlewood
  • Lost Dream
  • Mini Metro
  • Mini Motorways
  • Moonlighter
  • Moving Out
  • Need to Know
  • Night in the Woods
  • No Longer Home
  • Our Life: Beginnings & Always
  • Outer Wilds
  • Overcooked
  • Papers, Please
  • Paradise Marsh
  • Parkitect
  • Picross Touch
  • Planet Coaster
  • The Planet Crafter
  • The Political Machine 2016
  • The Political Process
  • Prison Architect
  • Project Zomboid
  • Pupperazi
  • Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Rimworld
  • Sail Forth
  • Satisfactory
  • Sentinels of the Multiverse
  • The Sexy Brutale (great game, hate the name)
  • A Short Hike
  • Skyward Collapse
  • Solo
  • Starbound
  • Stardew Valley
  • State of Decay (Was indie when it came out)
  • Stormworks: Build and Rescue
  • Subnautica
  • Subnautica: Below Zero
  • Suits: A Business RPG
  • Sunless Sea
  • Swords & Souls: Neverseen
  • Tabletop Simulator
  • Tastemaker
  • :THE LONGING:
  • Towns
  • Townscaper
  • Tracks - The Train Set Game
  • Traffix
  • Travelers Rest
  • Trolley Problem, Inc.
  • Under Leaves
  • Unheard - Voices of Crime
  • Unpacking
  • Viridi
  • West of Loathing
  • Wilmot's Warehouse
  • Wingspan
  • Wobbledogs
  • Wraithslayer

I play a ton of them.

Honestly...I feel like I play more of them than mainstream games. Especially with the dawning of services like GamePass. - A lot of the indie games are easier to pick up and play to completion in one sitting than the bigger AAA titles are. I often enjoy just playing a handful of shorter indie games to 100% than I do grinding on big mainstream games.

I mostly play indie games via Steam. I like seeing what others make, some are better than AAA games tbh. I feel like the creativity is wider in indie games and I feel like some are passion projects so it ends up having more character and nice little details.
The nintendo eshop has some indie games too worth checking out if that's a preferred path.

I don't know if games like Undertale and Shovel Knight count as "indie" anymore, given how immensely popular they've become to the point where they now have the backing of major studios. But I did play those while they were still relatively obscure. Stardew Valley is another one that springs to mind. I'd say most if not all visual novels that I play are also from independent or independent adjacent developers. One of my favorite games to come out in the past few years is VA-11 Hall-A, which has also become immensely popular since its release.

And that's just on Steam. I'd have to search through my other store fronts to see what else I can recommend.

I would love to play more indie games, but I'd say around 80% of the Steam ones don't run very well on my old computer, so I'm limited to the games that make it over to consoles.

Three that I have my eye on right now are Tanglewood (released via Kickstarter for MegaDrive/Genesis, but getting a Switch release soon), Spirit of the North (already out), and Glyde the Dragon (should they decide to release on console - and I hope they do, because there is a distinct lack of dragon-based games out there for some reason).

Yeah, most of the games I play are indie. They tend to feel more distinctive and they're usually more affordable.

I don't think indie games are unpopular. They obviously don't tend to have the same PR machine as AAA games but they seem pretty popular these days, what with some of them being real success stories for indie devs.

Yeah, most of the games I play are indie. They tend to feel more distinctive and they're usually more affordable.

I don't think indie games are unpopular. They obviously don't tend to have the same PR machine as AAA games but they seem pretty popular these days, what with some of them being real success stories for indie devs.
It certainly helps that the method of advertising and information has changed dramatically in the past twenty years. When I was growing up, the very fact of a game being released on a major console was in itself seen as an indicator of quality and financial success... a very, very misguided notion, mind you. But even into the late 2000's and early 2010's, at the dawn of digital publishing, the idea that a game would be released on a service like Steam would be seen as an indicator of its success. Now, there are so many games released on every console each year by both giant corporations and studios with less than a hundred people that it's impossible to keep track of all of them. The fact that game making tools and a plethora of tutorials on how to use them are more widely available than ever before also makes the barrier to entry considerably smaller.

So that is to say, I agree that indie games have become fairly trendy in this day and age, to the point where I'd say that many of the runaway success stories in recent years barely distinguish these games as independently published anymore. At least from my experience, living in the age of smart phones where all kinds of unspeakable shovelware of questionable child appropriateness has made me numb to the notion of indie success. It's transformed from a story about a person or small group of people working tirelessly at their craft for the love of art to just another story of corporate enterprising. Which isn't to say that I have anything against any indie developers or that they're contributing to some wider issue, just that it's all noise to me now in the same way that most AAA games are.

I don't know if Touhou Project still counts as 'indie' but it is considered one back in the early 2000's. The Japanese indie scene is ahead of it's time, although the market overseas is small because there's a lack of accessibility. But I've played Touhou Project, it's hard but fun gameplay-wise.

I've also played Stardew Valley, it's amazing that a game is developed by one person.
(Although I've played it on the phone, I might buy one for the switch sometime.)

Indie games are a mixed bag, some games are just a bunch of Earthbound-likes that consider themselves "deep" or indie horror games that were designed to cash in FNAF's success and others are genuinely hidden gems. Indie games have good and bad apples just like single A's, double A's, and triple A games. It depends on where you're looking for especially game recommendations.

But that's just my opinion.

I've been transitioning to PC gaming so I've picked up a nice bunch of indie games on Steam!

100% Orange Juice
A Hat in Time
Among Us
Bug Fables
Calico
Coromon
Haven Park
Kitaria Fables
The Last Campfire
The Looker
Nexomon
Omori
Plastic Duck Similar
Seasons After Fall
Slime Rancher
Stray
Undertale

It certainly helps that the method of advertising and information has changed dramatically in the past twenty years. When I was growing up, the very fact of a game being released on a major console was in itself seen as an indicator of quality and financial success... a very, very misguided notion, mind you. But even into the late 2000's and early 2010's, at the dawn of digital publishing, the idea that a game would be released on a service like Steam would be seen as an indicator of its success. Now, there are so many games released on every console each year by both giant corporations and studios with less than a hundred people that it's impossible to keep track of all of them. The fact that game making tools and a plethora of tutorials on how to use them are more widely available than ever before also makes the barrier to entry considerably smaller.

So that is to say, I agree that indie games have become fairly trendy in this day and age, to the point where I'd say that many of the runaway success stories in recent years barely distinguish these games as independently published anymore. At least from my experience, living in the age of smart phones where all kinds of unspeakable shovelware of questionable child appropriateness has made me numb to the notion of indie success. It's transformed from a story about a person or small group of people working tirelessly at their craft for the love of art to just another story of corporate enterprising. Which isn't to say that I have anything against any indie developers or that they're contributing to some wider issue, just that it's all noise to me now in the same way that most AAA games are.
I disagree, to be honest.

I don't remember a game being released on console ever being considered an indicator of quality, to be honest. I don't know what era you're referencing when you talk about when you were younger, but even back in the 90s there was plenty of shovelware and bad quality content that got panned by gaming media and gamers.

Yeah, indie games have a lot of "noise" but it's not all bad. I appreciate that more people and small studios are making games, it means that there's sometimes more variety and truly unique stuff. I don't resent the success of indie devs/studios, it's often well-deserved and I'm glad they can get some recognition.

There's a lot of noise but that's not new, and there are some real gems that I appreciate.

I disagree, to be honest.

I don't remember a game being released on console ever being considered an indicator of quality, to be honest. I don't know what era you're referencing when you talk about when you were younger, but even back in the 90s there was plenty of shovelware and bad quality content that got panned by gaming media and gamers.

Yeah, indie games have a lot of "noise" but it's not all bad. I appreciate that more people and small studios are making games, it means that there's sometimes more variety and truly unique stuff. I don't resent the success of indie devs/studios, it's often well-deserved and I'm glad they can get some recognition.

There's a lot of noise but that's not new, and there are some real gems that I appreciate.
I should clarify what I meant. Admittedly, my choice of words was questionable, so I apologize for that.

I do not mean that games were never criticized or considered bad if they were released on a major console, but that there was a mark of significance to that fact that independently published games didn't have at the time due to the near insurmountable barrier to entry. Consider, for example, the difference between television and YouTube. Obviously, bad shows existed and will continue to exist for as long as people will continue to enjoy watching filmed entertainment. But there was a prestige to mainstream media--even if that prestige came in the form of scorn in some cases--that indie, shot-on-video films could never have hoped to achieve. Or as another example, the fact that despite (or perhaps aided by) the rise of digital eBooks and the ease of publishing, traditionally published books still hold a considerably higher sway over the literary landscape than indie books. But now, YouTubers have eclipsed "real world" celebrities in terms of social influence, with a number of people making full time careers out of videos that just over a decade ago would have been (at best) extremely niche. And now, the fact that I can go to discount stores and buy comics that previously would have been relegated solely to DeviantArt or niche online communities speaks volumes to how indie books have changed how we regard the relationship between consumer and publisher.

Indie games still existed beforehand, obviously, but they were typically things you ordered in magazines (if that particular issue didn't come with a disk of its own) or in bulk from a local retailer, or from internet bulletin boards if you were a real early adopter. There were the unlicensed NES games, such as those made by companies like Wisdom Tree, but to my recollection, those weren't widely distributed in the same manner. Despite the number of independently made games that were genuine hits, indie games were seen as inherently inferior, so even the good ones were oft regarded as "good, for the standards of indie."

And while every console has shovelware to some extent (arguably that being a contributive factor in the video game crash of 1983), cheap, lower effort titles absolutely thrived mostly in the PC space in the 80's and 90's due to it being a considerably easier, cheaper, and less controlled platform to publish on. The only major console that really had a similar lack of quality control would probably be the Wii, which (despite being a financial success) was derided as a joke that pawn shops struggled to sell at a discount after the initial wave of popularity ended.

But because of the reasons I've mentioned above, the relationship between "indie" and "mainstream" titles has become more blurred, which ten years ago I might have said "Wow, this is wonderful!" and for the person or small group that genuinely just love making games, then it is! I'm nothing but happy for them in that regard. But the bulk of that is still going into Google, Apple, Valve, Nintendo, or whoever else. And for every runaway indie success story, there are innumerable more people, inspired by the success of those that make it big, that just don't make it for whatever reason, which may be fine if those devs/dev teams have realistic expectations and are only aiming to release the best product they can make. But many people do stake much of their hopes, emotional health, and financial livelihood on the development of indie games. And there's no shortage of developers who have taken advantage of the smaller barrier to entry to make their own little empire of absolute filth.

Adding onto this is the fact that many of these indie games have shown to harbor just as much employee abuse as their AAA counterparts. See for example, Night in the Woods and Florence, both fine games that show how creative and inspired the indie scene can be, but are marred by various allegations of abuse that aren't too dissimilar to those that the mainstream video game industry has had to contend with in recent years, just on a much smaller scale.

I also don't really agree that the rising popularity of indie games has led to a pool of more unique and diverse games. There are certainly standouts, but currently, there's an overflow of "cozy" games inspired by Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley within the market, many of which would be easy to confuse for one another. Before that (and arguably still now), every indie developer was flocking to make their own Metroidvania or 2D platformer, inspired by the success of Shovel Knight. And concurrently with that was the boom of indie first person shooters. I'm not saying any of these games are bad; many of them are fine games in their own right. It's just that trends come and go, and the indie scene is not immune to this.

Overall, my point isn't that indie games are any better or worse or that I don't appreciate them at all anymore. As I've stated, Undertale, Stardew Valley, and VA-11 Hall-A are some of my favorite games. And I've spent more hours than I care to admit on Minecraft before it was ever purchased by Microsoft. But I've become jaded to the idea of indie games in the current ecosystem having any intrinsic benefits over the AAA landscape. At the end of the day, indie products are products all the same, and they can be good, bad, or anywhere in between. In fact, the concept of being "indie" has effectually become just as much of a tool for marketing as any other aspect of the game. And with the mode of distribution resting firmly in the hands of a few companies, it's not exactly changing the status quo one way or the other. In other words, the more things change, the more things stay the same.

Most games that stumble onto my wishlist nowadays are from smaller studios. Here are a few I've enjoyed over the past year (Steam):

A Short Hike
Core Keeper
Dinkum
Sun Haven (haven't played a lot of this one, but it has merit)
Beacon Pines

My wishlist is full of "indie" upcoming life sims/RPGs too.

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed playing the Shantae series, I highly recommend it if you're looking for a fun but challenging platformer with quirky, humorous sidequests and lots of exploration. The physical games have always been a little hard to find but I think they are available on Steam now. My personal favorite is Pirate's Curse!

Noting some of these for my wishlist!

i do enjoy some indies. my current obsession is an indie, Disco Elysium. really polarizing game since there's a lot of text, politics heavy, but by god am i obsessed.

i also enjoy bug fables! project zomboid, vampire survivors, risk of rain (considered indie? published by gearbox but hopoo used to be tiny.) skullgirls, outer wilds etc. etc. i'd say most of my steam games are indie.

"Sky: Children of the Light."
In my opinion,
THE BEST FREE GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED. EVER.
It's free on Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, and will be coming to PC sometime this year. From thatgamecompany, the developers of the 2013 game of the year "Journey."
I've been playing for over a year and a half, I have over 295 hours in it, and I LOVE IT. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!

Back