• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Will you be buying the physical or digital release?

I always go with the physical copies because idk, I just like the physical cartridges themselves and fun of going to go get it and stuff. I never have good experience with the digital copies so I tend to avoid them myself

ive been thinking about this thread's question for days and i still dont have a good answer yet. it feels better to have a physical copy, but for most of my game purchases i went go digital. i bought both pokemon sword and shield as physical, and i feel like that was a mistake because when i want to play one i have to switch out the other, though it does feel more natural to have a physical copy and switch it out (brings me back to the wii days). i'll probably end up getting digital as i dont think i'll obliterate my console any time soon, but knowing myself i'll end up also buying a physical copy. i guess that will have to be my plan.

Last edited:
Physical! I like my games physical because that means that I'll never lose them if I have to get a new system or it breaks, plus it's good to know that I have the game right there as a physical copy :)

Thank you for the input!

I know it'll be listed online before it comes out either way for the languages, so like any other type of information I'll just have to play the waiting game.

I always buy physical copies if I can help it. I like having my game in my hands.

Plus I don't have to worry about not having access to it anymore. In a generation or two, we might not be able to access the games we paid for unless they were still installed on the system. If I've uninstalled a game to make space, if the online support on the switch is gone that means I probably can't get to the games I've bought to re-download it if there is no store anymore.

Plus if I'm paying full price for a game I'm getting the box. Digital games should be cheaper since they're not paying for plastic containers, ink on the covers, and things like that. Until they are I will always buy physical when possible.

My whole life since digital downloads on your console became a thing, I’ve been against them, most likely because if your console corrupts, you can’t get the digital downloads back.

I always buy games physically so I won’t have to fear it get lost for good and having to buy it again, and I like the original idea of buying it in stores and having a nice box to add on it.

I know this is late, but none of this is true about digital downloads. You can always redownload the game for free, no matter what happens to the console. Digital purchases are objectively more “safe” than physical ones, since a damaged cartridge must be replaced at full cost.

Regarding the question as a whole, I do all-digital for all my games. No need to worry about losing or breaking cartridges, no switching out games, and I don’t value having the physical case at all, since it’s just a digital file stored on a storage device, and I’m not really a “collector” or anything. Also, I like not having a $60xNumberOfGames liability whenever I leave the house with my Switch.

Plus, then I can pre-download and play NH at 10pm the night before instead of the morning of release.

Last edited:
I know this is late, but none of this is true about digital downloads. You can always redownload the game for free, no matter what happens to the console.

Someone would like a word with you.

Wii-Shop-Channel.jpg

Odd, thought I had an account here. Oh well, starting fresh either way!

As for me, undecided. I have a physical copy pre-ordered with Amazon at the moment, but I'm somewhat waiting to see what the pre-order bonus will be. I'm considering cancelling and pre-ordering the digital version once it's available on the eshop because of the convenience.

Physical. I don't agree with Nintendo's ecosystem. TBF though, my opinion comes from 3DS. I'm assuming it works the same way with Switch.

I actually did some research into this in late November. I was considering upgrading my Switch to the revision with the better battery life, and what I learned is that digital purchases are tied to your NNID, and as long as you designate a switch as your "Primary System" (it's a button in the system options menu), you can download and play your games no problem. This is based on Nintendo support info as well as some other research. If this is incorrect, please someone feel free to correct it.

Someone would like a word with you.

Wii-Shop-Channel.jpg

You can still redownload games you’ve previously bought on the Wii Shop Channel. You just can’t buy new ones. Source

Moreover, my comment was not about expiring licenses and server support. While those are important points, I was responding to someone who claimed that, if your data becomes corrupted, you cannot redownload the game without paying for it again, which is not true.

Support for physical and digital purchases drops way down about 2-3 generations after the game has been released. This is more discussing the immediate security of corrupted data versus losing/damaging a physical game.

Last edited:
I think I'll buy a digital copy. I love having the physical copy of games and love the box art, etc. But I'm getting a digital copy for all of the reasons atalkingfish mentioned above, plus I don't have a ton of space and so I try to buy digital media when I can.

Ideally I'd love to get a physical copy! But I'll most likely get the digital version...

i'm waiting on more interesting bundles to come out personally, but if that doesn't happen i'm probably just gonna pre-order it digitally.

i'm really bummed that the journal bundle is a US-exclusive, nintendo give canada some nice things for a change.

Going to get it digitally as I want to play it right when it releases (hopefully it doesn't delay for US time). I don't want to spend two months hunting it down like I did for Fire Emblem, or have to deal with people at midnight launches.

I just preordered my physical copy today! Unfortunately I have like two different exams that day so I won't be able to skip school like I had planned. :( But it'll be okay. That day will go by SO slow but as soon as I am done at university I am going to drive right to Best Buy and pick it up and do nothing else that whole weekend!!! It's going to be so fantastic! It's so hard to wait!

ive decided im just gonna get digital because the data isnt actually saved to the physical cartridge, its just saved to the console. might as well jump on the midnight release train

I am also waiting to see if they come out with more interesting bundles, if there is one I like I will do physical, if not I will just go digital.

i was unsure which one i wanted, and was leaning towards physical.. but then the new switch came out, and it's bundled with a digital game code in the UK so.. this new switch made the decision for me!! :p

Back