• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Will you be buying the physical or digital release?

I’m getting digital! It slightly more environmentally friendly (no manufacturing, resulting packaging and trash, etc) which I like, but also I just don’t want to drag my butt to a store after work on the release date. It’ll be nice to go straight home and curl up in my bed with a cup of tea and my Switch c:

I think I might have to buy 2 copies, 1 for me, and 1 for my kids. If that's the case, then I'll buy 1 physical for the pre-order bonus (looking at Target currently), and 1 digital, since I have a $50 eShop gift card.

What is it that you're concerned about? I buy all my Switch games digitally, so I may be able to clear a few thing up for you.

On 3DS, if you bought a second 3DS, and wanted your digital games, you would have to do a system transfer, which makes the other device get factory reset.

Steam for PC on the other hand, I have my steam games on both my Desktop and Laptop. I don't have to transfer anything or reset my entire PC. The games save on the cloud and I just pickup and play seamlessly.

With the physical on 3DS, you can just pop the cartridge to the other and you're good to go.
You might wonder who owns 2 3DS systems. Well, me. I own the New 3DS XL, and the 2DS.

Last edited:
majority of my games are digital copies just because i don't have the space for all the game cases but for ACNH, I want the physical copy. All my previous AC games have gotten physical and I would like this to join the rest of them.

On 3DS, if you bought a second 3DS, and wanted your digital games, you would have to do a system transfer, which makes the other device get factory reset.

Steam for PC on the other hand, I have my steam games on both my Desktop and Laptop. I don't have to transfer anything or reset my entire PC. The games save on the cloud and I just pickup and play seamlessly.

With the physical on 3DS, you can just pop the cartridge to the other and you're good to go.
You might wonder who owns 2 3DS systems. Well, me. I own the New 3DS XL, and the 2DS.

Hey! So, I don't have a 2nd Switch to confirm, but I'm almost 100% certain that this is not the case anymore.

How it works now is that purchases are linked to your account rather than your console. You can link your account to multiple consoles with one of them acting as the 'primary console' (which you can change whenever you like).

From my understanding, you can still play your games on a non-primary console as long as you have an internet connection.

I'm getting most of this info from here, so you might find it's worth a look: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...l-Games-Across-Multiple-Consoles-1647413.html

Hope that helps clear it up :)

Last edited:
I'm going to pre order the physical copy this week.

I want the keychain.
I hope I don't get Isabelle. I want K.K. :)

Both, unfortunately. I always buy a physical copy for collection/archival but with a game you play every day it's too tiring to frequently change out the cartridge. Also, I wanted Target's pre-order bonus.

Now this is a tough choice, with Digital I can play at midnight but id probably have school in the morning so I might as well do amazon and just play when I get home at 3

Both, unfortunately. I always buy a physical copy for collection/archival but with a game you play every day it's too tiring to frequently change out the cartridge. Also, I wanted Target's pre-order bonus.

Yeah, now that digital is better than it was on the 3DS, theres no way I wouldn't get digital. I don't wanna have to swap carts so I can quick check my town for something and then play another game.

I'll be preordering 2 physical copies from 2 different places. One for my boyfriend and one for me. I also just wanna get 2 different preorder bonuses :p

I'm getting the physical copy!
I pre-ordered just for that cute journal.

I always prefer to buy physical copies of my favorite games, if it's a new game I have never heard of or played before, then I might spring for a digital purchase.

I have a physical copy preordered already, but a digital copy would be cool - I'm worried in case you can't have more than one copy per Switch tho, so I don't know if I could get one of each cause I currently own one Switch

I'm still kinda torn about this...

Usually I prefer having a physical copy in my hands (and on my shelf, hehe), but at the same time I already know that New Horizons will be *the* standard go-to game for me on my Switch. Having to juggle catridges just because I've felt like playing another game for 30 minutes would become a hassle. I know that because it's been like that for me on 3DS, when I constantly had to switch back and forth between two or more games...

I don't like the thought that my digital purchase could (theoretically speaking) be taken away from me at any point in time. Then again, if the game gets any patches in the future (and I'm sure it will), it won't make a difference anymore because those patches will, most likely, be mandatory. That's just how it is nowadays...

Since the save data will be saved on the console and not on the game card, it feels like it really comes down to personal preference. From that perspective I can imagine that I'd go for the more convenient option, but... And that's my actual problem... My video game dealer usually ships copies a bit early, so if I bought the physical version, I'd probably have the game about two days before I could actually download the digital version...

I really don't know! >_< lol

Last edited:
I'm debating this...

For reference, I don't own a Switch yet and I live in Japan.

I'm hoping for a special AC Switch, but we'll have to see... Since there's less than two months to go I feel like there's not a lot of time to decide what to do. If there's no special bundle, there's a possibility I'd get a Switch a little before the game comes out to prepare and possibly buy a digital copy.

Midnight releases/release events aren't much of a thing here, but if there is anything I'd like to go of course.

Another question that isn't answered yet is the language options on the game. I know some games will have the option to switch the language, but considering the regional differences and how much text is in the game I'm wondering if that won't be the case for ACNH. I know Japanese enough so I could smoothly play the game, but I've always played in English and I'd lie to capture footage from it and people might get annoyed if it's in Japanese. So if we can't switch the language I'll probably have to buy a copy from the NA eShop. But, if they are separate, I wonder how that would work since we're only supposed to have one island per Switch...

Many first-party Switch games now only have one ROM, meaning all the languages are bundled into the game. The language changes with your Switch settings. So if you use your Switch in English, this shouldn't be an issue. But don't quote me on that, because as soon as I say it in any definitive, confident way, a game will come out that doesn't do this.

I'm debating this...

Another question that isn't answered yet is the language options on the game. I know some games will have the option to switch the language, but considering the regional differences and how much text is in the game I'm wondering if that won't be the case for ACNH. I know Japanese enough so I could smoothly play the game, but I've always played in English and I'd lie to capture footage from it and people might get annoyed if it's in Japanese. So if we can't switch the language I'll probably have to buy a copy from the NA eShop. But, if they are separate, I wonder how that would work since we're only supposed to have one island per Switch...

IIRC, Breath of the Wild has language settings all in the same game (both sub and dub). Since the Switch isn't suppose to be region locked, it's probably safe to assume there won't be different copies of the game based on language.

IIRC, Breath of the Wild has language settings all in the same game (both sub and dub). Since the Switch isn't suppose to be region locked, it's probably safe to assume there won't be different copies of the game based on language.

Didn't they have regional versions for Splatoon 2 for regional stuff? Animal Crossing had regional items in NL, so I assume NH will also be region locked. Buying the Octo Expansion (from a different region) also caused issues due to the region lock.

Digital. With AC being a game you pick up for small bursts each day, having to fumble around with carts would get annoying.

In general, any game on Switch I know I'll be returning to time and again I try to get digitally rather than physically. Doubly so for local-multiplayer/party games for when friends come by. Whereas big singleplayer games with stories (say, Dragon Quest XI) where I know I'll play it obsessively for ages but then be done with it, I go physical.

I haven't played Smash Bros. nearly as much as I know I would have if I'd gone with digital rather than physical - I still have some characters to unlock! Buuuut I needed that Gamecube controller adapter...!

Back