Which do you prefer C.J.'s Fishing tourney or Flick's Bug off?

C.J.'s Fishing tourney or Flick's Bug off?

• Total voters

themysterybidder

🐴 Devoted to Buck! 🐴 (UK)
Bells
Switch
8113-5873-2420
Island
Hazzard
Orange Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Violet
White Violet
Red Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
Red Lily
Red Lily
I've been wondering which event people prefer. I managed to get a Silver and Gold trophy from the last Fishing tourney, but today I've been playing the Bug off since 9am on and off and only managed Bronze so far. Personally, I prefer the Fishing tourney with C.J. as it is easier to catch fish as we can use bags of fish bait. Plus, has anyone ever noticed that C.J. gives you a lot more bells for fish, however, no matter how many bugs you bring to Flick he hardly ever gives you more than 4,000 bells. Usually I get on average about 2,000 bells for 9 bugs. I know the bugs I collect are normal bugs, such as: common bluebottle, paper kite butterflies, but I give C.J. common fish too, and get more bells. I think the reason I hate the Bug off is I am terrible at catching bugs on trees/tree stumps. If I walk slowly up to them, I either swing the net too early or too late and they fly away. If they aren't flying through the air or on the ground, I am useless! Does anyone have any tips how to catch bugs on trees/stumps? Is it better to catch from the front or the side of the tree? Thanks for reading!
2022072317124000-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

I'd say Bug Off, because bugs seem to spawn frequently enough that I can grab a lot more of them. Not to mention how the fish always seem to miss your line, then you have to recast, but move back a bit, because you're a step too close now, ah, but now the fish has switched direction.

Worst case with the bugs is that they decide to leap into a nearby water source. Plus, I prefer Flick's rewards (though not by much, I think New Leaf had better prizes overall, they felt more themed and less likely to be items I could find at Nook's Cranny).

I prefer Bug Off because I'm a bug fan like Flick. The butterfly wallpaper and backpack are used in my character's room. On the other hand I dislike fishing. I'm not that good at it. My bug Critterpedia is a lot more filled out now than the fish one. Also I don't care for C.J. He always seems to spawn near my house and leer at me. I mean come on dude, please go somewhere else and quit staring at me. 😂

The bug-off is far better. The thing about the fishing tourney is it goes against the grain of fishing gameplay more. Fishing is more something you go out of your way and stop to do and you usually have to cast and then aim again. Catching bugs is running around and swinging at the right moment. That works a lot better for short rounds than catching fish. Fishing tourney also nixes those moments where you would catch something at the last second. ‘Cause you need 10 seconds, you need to reel them in before the timer is up or it doesn’t count. That’s super lame. I also agree the bug-off has better rewards.

I enjoyed more the fishing tourney, it might be because it was the first critter event I played... but also the rewards are much better in my opinion: some of them are great to decorating the island (I love the fish-drying rack, the fishing-rod Stand, the anchor statue and the fresh cooler), not to mention they're more customizable.
Unlike themysterybidder, Flick was the one who paid me the more, and overall the Bug Torney was easer to me (my island's full of bugs ^^).

Fishing is harder to do and takes longer.
I mean they can fake bite up to 4 times.
If you have bait it could be cool but you have to farm that.

There is nothing wrong with how fishing works, but when on a timer, bugs are better

I got more bells doing the Fishing Tourney, but there's a lot of waiting involved when it comes to fishing. With bug catching, it's more fast paced. I prefer fishing during my everyday gameplay but I prefer the Bug-Off as an event.

I like them both but bug off a little bit more just because Flick is so adorable and it is fun to run around the Island. When you are fishing I am more at one spot with fishing baits. 😅

I enjoy the fishing tournament I have always liked fishing more than trying to catch bugs haha

I don't ever have luck catching bugs haha
This is the way I feel, trying to catch bugs on trees/stumps is a complete nightmare, don't start me on trying to get a scorpion or the other dreaded insect. I always end up being stung.

I got more bells doing the Fishing Tourney, but there's a lot of waiting involved when it comes to fishing. With bug catching, it's more fast paced. I prefer fishing during my everyday gameplay but I prefer the Bug-Off as an event.
It's interesting, you are the same as me, I get more bells from C.J., Flick is a bit miserable giving out the bells, even if you give him something rare!

I like them both but bug off a little bit more just because Flick is so adorable and it is fun to run around the Island. When you are fishing I am more at one spot with fishing baits. 😅
I must admit, I am beginning to come round to the Bug off, ever so slightly due to the fact I managed to get a Bronze trophy yesterday, compared to my 2 points I managed to bag last time! I still dislike Flick, and I think it's because he goes on about imaging bugs crawling all over you. That makes me shudder. C.J. on the other hand I absolutely love, plus I prefer his swag. Maybe as time goes on I will begin to like Flick if I become better at catching bugs!

I much prefer the fishing tourney over the bug off. This is honestly because I'm doing a nautical themed island and the anchor statue is my favourite item. I'm putting it in my favourite major areas. I also love the fishing decor, it will make a perfect little fishing dock area. :D

I prefer the bug-off. Catching bugs is easier and quicker for me, personally. You can earn decent bells as well if you catch something like an orchid mantis.

I'd say I prefer the Fishing Tourney! 🎣

I've always loved the ocean, and I really like fishing and diving in-game, so the Fishing Tourney suits my interests more! 😊 I think the rewards from the Fishing Tourney are so nice too! I love the Fish Wand, the Fish Rug, the Fish-print tee, the Fish print, the Fresh cooler, the Fishing-rod stand, the Anchor statue. Aaaah, and the cute Fish pochette!

Both the Bug Off and Fishing Tourney are good though, and I think they're about equal in gameplay (for me), I just prefer fishing in-game more than catching bugs. 😊🐡🐟

This is the way I feel, trying to catch bugs on trees/stumps is a complete nightmare, don't start me on trying to get a scorpion or the other dreaded insect. I always end up being stung.
I know exactly what you mean I am having the absolute worst time trying to catch the bugs that are on the tree stump and also they not even spawning which is getting annoying :(

Much prefer the Bug-Off! 🦋
I love that you can have multiple people participate and it can add to your score (at least from what I remember it's been awhile lmao)

I also just like how much faster bug catching is compared to having to find a fish, cast a line, hope that the thing actually sees your bait and you're not stuck constantly readjusting, and THEN you've got to wait even longer for the signal to reel it in. Hopefully you don't miss cause reel it in too early and you gotta do it all over again 😵‍💫
Bugs? You find one, sneak up on it, throw the net, and you're done! Onto the next bug!
And if you miss no worries, cause there's literally dozens of areas for bugs to spawn (flowers, ground, trees, tree stumps, underground)!
Fish? Water and that's it. If you have next to no rivers and stuff all along your beachside fishing on a timer can be a pain.

Lastly I just think the Bug-Off prizes are way better and cuter; the butterfly backpack, wand, the bug print shirt, and even the fake prop bugs are just really neat!

I think I prefer the Bug-Off, but only because I absolutely am in love with Flick! He's super cool, and I love his design. That being said, I haven't actually bothered to participate in the Fishing Tourney or Bug-Off in a long time since I got all the prizes and achievements for them, so I haven't felt like doing it again. Maybe some day I'll try them out again?

Back