• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Where I think the next 'Animal Crossing' should go - please give your thoughts!

How many months are we going to be saying "They will add this in time".?

I don't think they can improve it without rewriting the dialogue, readding all of the awesome NL content.. like furniture and food items, and cutting down on the crafting.

It's a crafting game, and they can't really change it.
I just wish they hadn't lied about/downplayed the crafting aspect in the initial directs.

Your island.
Your way.

O_O

Your island-ish.
Nintendo's way.

Hmm, to each their own! I personally really like the crafting; it makes some of the unorderables from NL far easier to obtain. Obviously, it would be nice if gold tools never broke, but I think it’s good that for some items I don’t have to wait DAYS to find them in a shop and instead, I can just craft them. If I need a tool and the shop is closed? Make one myself. Little scenarios like that are where crafting shines, in my opinion. I know that some people don’t want the game becoming like Minecraft, but I still see this as a full Animal Crossing game that is simply waiting for updates.

Hmm, to each their own! I personally really like the crafting; it makes some of the unorderables from NL far easier to obtain. Obviously, it would be nice if gold tools never broke, but I think it’s good that for some items I don’t have to wait DAYS to find them in a shop and instead, I can just craft them. If I need a tool and the shop is closed? Make one myself. Little scenarios like that are where crafting shines, in my opinion. I know that some people don’t want the game becoming like Minecraft, but I still see this as a full Animal Crossing game that is simply waiting for updates.
Don't forget customizing, too. Instead of having to collect or find x amount of gems in rocks, all we need to do is buy paint at Nook's. Talk about a total timesaver!

New Horizons is fine as it is. But it can be WAAAAY better if QoL updates are implemented in the game, and things that are missing are brought back.

This game is being supported for many years to come, and will undergo on a continuous cycle of improvement as time goes on. The game is only 12 weeks old this Friday, so I think it's still too early to see where this game's next direction is headed.

To those of you saying what I'm proposing isn't Animal Crossing - just to ask for more detail, what do you mean? This is literally my idea for how it could go back to its roots somewhat - you live in a village again. You're still limited to 10 villagers who will move in/out at their own will. I guess the only radical difference is facilities/jobs - but these would, as I said, work like they did in New Leaf. It's just a way to make the village seem more alive/interactive, giving you and the villagers their own things to do on their own schedule. And the Mall is just my idea of how to do 'the City' - but better, by making it feel like your own unique area rather than in City Folk where everyone's City was the exact same.

While I like the heavy focus on villagers, I think what truly markets Animal Crossing is the idea that you get to create your own experience. Most of the time, as we unfortunately see, people just go after the popular villagers, despite not even caring for them. Villagers are just not a big focus unfortunately (my favorite part though).
Post automatically merged:

My Ideas:
  • More villager types and personalities (bats, seals, and red pandas for types, and I'm not sure for personalities.) This would hopefully improve the diversity among villagers and dialogue.
  • Instead of being a resident representative, you could be an entrepreneur who is looking to build up a town (of your own creation).
  • JOB IDEAS- Working at the Roost (same as NL), picking out clothing for villagers visiting the Able Sisters, watering the flowers in Leif's shop...
    Shop Ideas:
  • Nook's Cranny (and expansions)- would expand depending on money spent. In order to truly add to town customization, there would be a more rustic design (similar to the original Nook's Cranny in NH), and a more modern design (similar to the expanded version in NH). Expansions would offer more items and the FINAL EXPANSION would require money spent and 50 customized items (any guesses as to what the final expansion would entail?)
  • Able Sisters (and expansions): The Able Sisters would function the same as in NH, except with the added "job". The job rewards you in exclusive Labelle clothing/accessories and Gracie Grace furniture. Sable still rewards you with patterns for befriending her, but now you have the opportunity to get her picture (new mechanic, pictures from special characters!) Harriet, Label, and Kicks appear as visitors to your town. If you get 3 haircuts from Harriet she moves into the shop (after getting a haircut from Harriet, you learn how to do it yourself), if you help Label 3 times she discovers that she misses her sisters and moves into the shop (this unlocks the job at Able Sister's). Kicks will move in after spending a certain amount of bells at his stand.

MORE IDEAS:
  • Leif's Garden Shop- Leif also starts out in a tent, and after spending a certain amount of money at his stand, he decides to set up a permanent shop. Leif sells bushes, gardening supplies, plant furniture, and on rare occasions flower-themed DIYs. Leif's job requires you to water all the flowers in his shop. It is not hard, and Leif will give you any hybrids produced from it. Leif rewards you with flower-themed DIYs, and flower seeds of non-native flowers.

Last edited:
EVEN MORE IDEAS:

• The Roost- The Roost originally starts as part of the museum, but after showing Brewster a gyroid he decides he wants to open a gyroid exhibit in place of his café. The café is then moved to a separate building at the location of your choice. At the Roost, you can buy coffee, which for some reason will work the same as fruits in NH (strength meter), you can work to get Brewster's gyroids, café furniture, and coffee recipes (yes, you can make coffee at home using a coffeemaker, the first item Brewster gives you), and you can help KK's son jumpstart his music career by tipping him.

Well, how do you like my ideas so far?

As much as I love the idea of each villager being more unique, there's over 200 villagers in this goshdarn game.
Adding more personalities and maybe personality subtypes (and have the subtyping affect more than just max friendship dialogue) seems more feasible.

I personally preferred the city themes that came with LGTC and NL, but that's probably just me. I understand that they needed a shake-up somewhere.

All your thoughts layered on top of the current iteration of New Horizons would be fantastic, but maybe there's a way to get to some sort of tourist/shop island without flying (because by god, the Dodo Airlines dialogue is loaded enough)

At least for the next 9 months. I think it's going to be 12 months (since release) before Nintendo has given us the main content.

As much as I love the idea of each villager being more unique, there's over 200 villagers in this goshdarn game.
Adding more personalities and maybe personality subtypes (and have the subtyping affect more than just max friendship dialogue) seems more feasible.

I personally preferred the city themes that came with LGTC and NL, but that's probably just me. I understand that they needed a shake-up somewhere.

All your thoughts layered on top of the current iteration of New Horizons would be fantastic, but maybe there's a way to get to some sort of tourist/shop island without flying (because by god, the Dodo Airlines dialogue is loaded enough)
Oh! The subtypes affect max friendship dialogue, that makes sense. I also liked the city themes, but an increased villager count would've made them feel more realistic. I'm glad that you brought up the sheer amount of villagers in the game. We don't want them to start cutting favorites... (SwSh)

Oh! The subtypes affect max friendship dialogue, that makes sense. I also liked the city themes, but an increased villager count would've made them feel more realistic. I'm glad that you brought up the sheer amount of villagers in the game. We don't want them to start cutting favorites... (SwSh)
Yeah, honestly if they only gave the "fan favorites" extra dialogue, it would just make everyone else feel left out. It's unfortunate, but every villager has someone who loves them (even you, Rodney. It's just not me.)

UPDATE TO MY ROOST IDEA:
  • Snacks/Desserts could be sold at the Roost. Each villager has a favorite one. These would serve as a great way to boost friendship.

I agree with a lot of the things you said; however, I think that NH still has a lot of potential to improve and add new features so I honestly don't want to focus on the "next game" just yet and lose hope.
I'm not sure how realistic it would be for each villager to have a unique hobby seeing as even if you ask kids what they aspire to be, they often will pick from a select few options; however, that's not to say they shouldn't add more to the mix to make things more interesting.

I'm still hopeful they'll add on an HHD sort of feature where we could design actual venues and buildings rather than creating alt characters for mere decorating purposes - especially since villagers can't interact with the interiors of our houses.
I too want things like cafes, shops, a school, a hospital... and more than anything I'd like if villagers interacted more with some of the things we placed (like swimming in the pool, etc.).
I think it's also possible the Island might be expanded at some point - not sure if that would be a DLC paid add-on or something they'd do for free.
Right now, I really do enjoy this game a whole lot though. Maybe because NL was my first one and I think this is a major improvement.
I do miss a lot of NL features such as the Dream Suite, bigger and better shops, and some of the old NPC's etc. but I would be really surprised if they didn't incorporate these down the line.

EVEN MORE IDEAS:

• The Roost- The Roost originally starts as part of the museum, but after showing Brewster a gyroid he decides he wants to open a gyroid exhibit in place of his café. The café is then moved to a separate building at the location of your choice. At the Roost, you can buy coffee, which for some reason will work the same as fruits in NH (strength meter), you can work to get Brewster's gyroids, café furniture, and coffee recipes (yes, you can make coffee at home using a coffeemaker, the first item Brewster gives you), and you can help KK's son jumpstart his music career by tipping him.

Well, how do you like my ideas so far?

I think we should make the next game together. I agree with all of them. 😄

In terms of villager dialogue, we already have (from NL April Fools) their dream job, special talent, and their siblings. This could be added in as fleshed out dialogue pretty easily.

Then a simple way of increasing dialogue rather than writing it for each villager, would be to have dialogue groups based on characteristic combinations. Eg: Species/Birth month, Personality/Birth day, Species/Hobby. This way each villager pulls from multiple groups of dialogue, but there should be a wide variety within each island.

Whitney would have the Wolf/September dialog, and the Snooty/17th dialog, and the Wolf/Fashion dialog
Freya would have the Wolf/December dialog, and the Snooty/14th dialog, and the Wolf/Fashion dialog

So for 2 peppy wolves, only 1/3 of these dialog groups overlaps. This would make them more different, while also giving relevant dialogue.

I think we should make the next game together. I agree with all of them. 😄
Oh thank you! 😄

In terms of villager dialogue, we already have (from NL April Fools) their dream job, special talent, and their siblings. This could be added in as fleshed out dialogue pretty easily.

Then a simple way of increasing dialogue rather than writing it for each villager, would be to have dialogue groups based on characteristic combinations. Eg: Species/Birth month, Personality/Birth day, Species/Hobby. This way each villager pulls from multiple groups of dialogue, but there should be a wide variety within each island.

Whitney would have the Wolf/September dialog, and the Snooty/17th dialog, and the Wolf/Fashion dialog
Freya would have the Wolf/December dialog, and the Snooty/14th dialog, and the Wolf/Fashion dialog

So for 2 peppy wolves, only 1/3 of these dialog groups overlaps. This would make them more different, while also giving relevant dialogue.
This is an amazing idea! It would reduce the amount of work and make each villager seem unique.

I don't think they can improve it without rewriting the dialogue, readding all of the awesome NL content.. like furniture and food items, and cutting down on the crafting.

It's a crafting game, and they can't really change it.
I just wish they hadn't lied about/downplayed the crafting aspect in the initial directs.

Your island.
Your way.

O_O

Your island-ish.
Nintendo's way.

I prefer NH dialogue vastly over NL's and imo, it's on par with WW's dialogue. I play WW occasionally and the dialogue in WW is slightly less repetitive than NH, but it's just as interesting, imo. As for all the other things missing from NL, I guess we'll get new items eventually (we did get the wedding set). So, who knows.

As for a new entry in the AC series: I doubt having personalized dialogue will ever be a thing. As other have mentioned, there are over 200 characters in the game. It would be far too expensive (and it would take way too much time), to have each character be as personalized as you propose. I do like your take on going back to dialogue. GCN didn't have much other than interesting dialogue. However, I'm afraid a game like that wouldn't be as good nowadays. I do enjoy the dialogue in NH, as I've said, so this doesn't bother me very much. I already feel NH is a very complete game and probably my favorite in the series.

Dam already giving up on NH xD No I do not agree but doesn’t you mean your idea are not good. Its so so far off its haven’t crossed my mind. Tho it can be interesting bounce ideas around. In my opinion there a group of people who don’t connect with the content in NH So it feel more empty then NL which they connect with more. Who knows what will bring next. Maybe we could choose between an island or a town/city setting.
I prefer NH dialogue vastly over NL's and imo, it's on par with WW's dialogue. I play WW occasionally and the dialogue in WW is slightly less repetitive than NH, but it's just as interesting, imo. As for all the other things missing from NL, I guess we'll get new items eventually (we did get the wedding set). So, who knows.

As for a new entry in the AC series: I doubt having personalized dialogue will ever be a thing. As other have mentioned, there are over 200 characters in the game. It would be far too expensive (and it would take way too much time), to have each character be as personalized as you propose. I do like your take on going back to dialogue. GCN didn't have much other than interesting dialogue. However, I'm afraid a game like that wouldn't be as good nowadays. I do enjoy the dialogue in NH, as I've said, so this doesn't bother me very much. I already feel NH is a very complete game and probably my favorite in the series.
I agree! But its nearly 400 villagers plus people want more. There Is room to add more dialogue especially for personalities but I still enjoy it.

Last edited:
Dam already giving up on NH xD No I do not agree but doesn’t you mean your idea are not good. Its so so far off its haven’t crossed my mind. Tho it can be interesting bounce ideas around. In my opinion there a group of people who don’t connect with the content in NH So it feel more empty then NL which they connect with more. Who knows what will bring next. Maybe we could choose between an island or a town/city setting.

I agree! But its nearly 400 villagers plus people want more. There Is room to add more dialogue especially for personalities but I still enjoy it.
We shouldn't give up on New Horizons yet. There are plenty more updates that are coming, which could include "missing" or cool content

I totally disagree. They have a huge development team, they have all the resources they need. Rune Factory 4 had a much smaller team and a much lower budget than Nintendo has with the Animal Crossing titles - yet each individual character is fleshed out very well, and you will rarely see any repeated dialogue over several in-game years. I also play Wild World, and I also totally disagree that New Horizons is on par with it. The Hobbies are done properly for a start, with villagers actually talking about their Hobby, whereas they barely do in New Horizons. I've also seen much less repeated dialogue on Wild World myself.

Also I notice a lot of people are telling me to not give up on New Horizons, and there's more coming.. yes, I know - this isn't about New Horizons. This is me, speculating on how the series could evolve from here to the next title, be it in 5 or 10 years, or whatever. I know that New Horizons will get lots of hefty-content updates. That doesn't mean I can't speculate about what's to come in the future - from a new game.

Back