• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Where I think the next 'Animal Crossing' should go - please give your thoughts!

SpiritofAce

The Barista
Bells
Switch
1153-7853-1909
Island
Teacove
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
The next Animal Crossing game should go back to being in a village. The focus should be on the villagers, depth of interaction, and actually having more elements that sets the villagers apart. You could do this by having more hobbies - (New Horizons has less hobbies than Wild World did, lol..) - which can change, like in Wild World. Each villager should also have their own unique 'goal' - can be as simple as wanting to be a writer, wanting to star in a movie, etc. There is no excuse for why each villager shouldn't have their own goal with a team as big as the Animal Crossing group at Nintendo.

Add simple jobs - not too indepth, e.g. including more options such as working in the café from New Leaf, and this is where my other idea comes in - add the facilities from Happy Home Designer but make them unlockable after a certain amount of playtime - so that means that the game does keep the feeling of the expansion and slow-development from New Horizons, but it's more rewarding because you can have facilities such as a Restaurant, a Swimming Pool, School etc - and you, as well as your villagers, can work in these facilities - and over time, they can move on from their job and do something else if they want. This helps with the villagers being more unique because as with their Hobbies, their job can change. You can of course, as with Happy Home Designer, choose the theming of your facilities from a range of options. This is missing from New Horizons with none of the buildings being customisable. For a title - perhaps Animal Crossing: Forest Life would be fitting - named after the K.K. Slider song? It'd be a very nostalgic name.

You are able to customise villager house exteriors if you wish, and you have to be at a very-high friendship level with them. They are able to change their interior at will, so it will change over time. You can of course still influence this, and now you can gift them wallpaper and flooring successfully.

There is a village-mall that you can travel to via bus. You are able to (after a certain point) change the theming of the mall yourself from a variety of options (similar to how you could change the look of Town Hall and Train Station in New Leaf - but for increased variety, you not only choose a theme - e.g. 'Fairy Tale' - but any two colours you wish to go with the theme. The village mall upgrades over time - it has its own salon, restaurant (different to the one on your village), fortune shop, Kicks' Shoe Emporium, another clothing store (which sells items made by Gracie Gracie's High-end Fashion Company), Leif's Garden Store. You are able to change the theming of the stores later on to match with how you themed the mall - or give them their own theme. To start off with, they are given a randomised basic colour. The mall looks really pretty, there is a nice fountain area in the middle with lots of benches - you can see villagers going into shops, actually interacting with the items. There's a food-shack run by Wendell where you can get a quick bite to eat whilst you shop. The stores theme properly for the Seasons with changing displays and also changing stock.

The main idea with the mall is that it's more interesting in my opinion than a City, because it fits more with the village theme, and also everyone's mall can be unique to themselves - by giving them the choice of not only a theme, but any colours they wish. It also helps reduce the pool of which daily special visitors are chosen from - a massive problem currently in New Horizons.

Tom Nook
introduces you to the village as with the Gamecube version, Wild World - he is once again running a humble store. He's had enough of drinking cocktails on a Tropical Island - he has left the island in Isabelle's capable hands. The Post Office is back. Phyllis is rude again. I'm bored of the games having no personality anymore. Resetti is back to insulting you if you don't save your game properly, albeit in a light-hearted way. Isabelle is busy on the Island - so she doesn't have a major role in the game - that doesn't mean she can't show up in some way, though, I just haven't thought of how. Perhaps as a special visitor?

A significant amount of time will be spent on the villager dialogue - there's no excuse for bad writing three games in a row. Depth of interaction will be the first priority of the development team. In my view, this is the best way to create the successor to New Horizons - have the series go back to its roots somewhat with the village atmosphere, but include customisation similar to New Horizons with the ability to over-time change the landscaping of your village, choose from theming and unique colours for each building/facility, and also the new option to customise villager's housing exteriors. The game will also be a huge welcome to long-time fans of the series like me and many others who miss the atmosphere and more interesting villager interaction that previous games had, by spending a large portion of development time on improving player-villager interactions, and giving the villager's each their own unique goal.

This post was way too long, my apologies. That doesn't mean you should comment just to tell me you didn't read it - I genuinely want to know your thoughts on this. Do you agree with me?

I agree with most of what you said. I too think villager interactions are the best part of Animal Crossing for me, so anything that improves upon the villagers in anyway would a great thing.

I also think future Animal Crossing games should focus more on minigames as well. Always seemed like the perfect game to have fun little minigames added into it, but yet we have almost none in New Horizons at all.

I read the entire thing, and while your ideas are great, it's not where I personally would like Animal Crossing to be. If all your features would be implemented on top a game like New Horizons, that would be the perfect AC game.
The big switch in direction in the game between Wild World and New Leaf - where the focus of the game shifted from fitting into a new community to decorating your town at will, and the direction New Horizons has taken proves that they find the latter to be more marketable, and is where I also really got into AC. Your ideas shift the focus of the game way from both those directions - and apologies if I misunderstand - towards something more akin to SimCity. Not that I dislike the idea of having a mall with customisable facilities and shops - in fact the opposite, but personally I wouldn't see myself hitting the 1000-hour playtime milestone on just customising facilities, talking to villagers, and working a job.
As for shifting the focus back onto villagers, while I agree that more depth of interaction wouldn't be a bad thing, my priority in Animal Crossing is to transform and decorate my town to exactly how I'd like it, and in New Horizons I'm fine with the compromise of 'stale' villager dialogue in exchange for terraforming, placing furniture outside, paths, etc. They do seem more like decorations on your island rather than residents, though, and your ideas of giving them a job and more hobbies would be really cute.
Of course, we clearly have different ways of playing AC and this is all my opinion. Personally I'm happy with the direction AC is going now.

Go back to a NL style game, or add NL stuff to NH, as NH has hardly any items.
The crafted stuff is pretty much all the same.

Improve the dialogue, as it is very poor.
Get rid of crafting and terraforming.
Definately get rid of the internet/phone/apps/forced player interaction.

Bring back the personal touch, like the post office, along with Phyllis, Pelly and Pete.

I actually like terra-forming and crafting @John Wick. :whistle: I think they added the terra-forming part because of how people were designing their towns in New Leaf. I remember people hacked their games to give it a vastly different appearance. I think Nintendo saw this and decided to allow people to make their own island designs. As for the crafting, I'm not saying bring back breakable tools, but I do like being able to craft furniture if I can't find it in the stores first.

There is one thing I've been wanting since New Leaf, and that's being able to customize your own shorts, trousers, skirts, socks, and shoes. I know that's a lot to ask for, but after seeing the direction to customizing shirts and dresses in New Leaf, I was hoping they'd bring more to the table in terms of custom clothing in New Horizons. Another thing to add when it comes to clothes is how cool it would be if you could recolor clothes just like you can recolor some furniture items. That's all I've got for now.

Your idea (while super cool!) sounds like a spin off AC game like Happy Home Designer, or rather, the extreme opposite of HHD.

Personally I play AC more for the design aspect and treat my town/island as a "piece of art." But villager interaction is definitely important and necessary. For example, I initially liked HHD, but it got boring and lacked meaning/depth because there was no villager interaction on a personal level, and I had no emotional connection to it. On the other hand, a game as you describe would not keep me interested long-term like ACNL and ACNH do. I'd just feel like I'm just talking to virtual characters and not really "doing" anything. For this reason I don't play all those other heavily role play video games because you're not really accomplishing anything. I'm the type of person who likes to have set goals, so I like video games like AC and Pokemon. (Just trying to explain my point of view, not trying to belittle you or your idea! Again I think your idea is really awesome, and I love all the detail you put into it!)

For this reason I think NL and NH are both great games for me, but I would especially love if your idea of more developed characters were added to both these games, without taking the design aspect away. For the public, I think having a balance of design and character interaction like NL and NH will continue to be popular for a while

I actually like terra-forming and crafting @John Wick. :whistle: I think they added the terra-forming part because of how people were designing their towns in New Leaf. I remember people hacked their games to give it a vastly different appearance. I think Nintendo saw this and decided to allow people to make their own island designs. As for the crafting, I'm not saying bring back breakable tools, but I do like being able to craft furniture if I can't find it in the stores first.

There is one thing I've been wanting since New Leaf, and that's being able to customize your own shorts, trousers, skirts, socks, and shoes. I know that's a lot to ask for, but after seeing the direction to customizing shirts and dresses in New Leaf, I was hoping they'd bring more to the table in terms of custom clothing in New Horizons. Another thing to add when it comes to clothes is how cool it would be if you could recolor clothes just like you can recolor some furniture items. That's all I've got for now.
If I end up in a psych ward, terraforming will be the reason. :)

I think it could be implemented better and in a less tedious manner.
I just wanted to smooth a corner I knocked out.

I got caught in a loop.. working on one tile, for twelve hours.

My wife said she half expected to find me in the corner in a puddle of drool, covered in peanut butter reading guns & ammo. :(

I just wanted to smooth a corner I knocked out.

I got caught in a loop.. working on one tile, for twelve hours.

My wife said she half expected to find me in the corner in a puddle of drool, covered in peanut butter reading guns & ammo. :(
Don't overwork yourself.

i love this. it would be so cool if the villagers entering and exiting the mall and hanging out in the shop area were past villagers from your town. it was really touching in new leaf and i would love to see that feature.
instead of taking away beloved furniture

sets, they should be giving us more. really whimsical sets, like maybe a cloud set or a starry set with more... pizazz?

what sort of device would this be on?

Interacting with the characters is my favorite part too. I started playing wild world again because I missed this part of the series.

I wish so much that all of the villagers had specific hobbies and this caused them to interact with certain items more. The villagers are so dumb in how they pathfind and what activities they choose currently.

I also think that they should all have some truly unique dialogue that isn't based on personality type but is specific to them. Even if it were just 1 or 2 things, it would make them feel like more than reskins of each other.

New Horizons has been out for less than 3 months and you're already on to the next one?
Can’t really blame anyone for wanting to move on when there hasn’t been a lot of content in comparison to new leaf. Don’t get me wrong I still have fun personally and I don’t plan to quit anytime soon, but if someone just wants to stop playing it’s probably due to Nintendo’s new strategy of release the least amount of content as possible and gradually update it over a period of time

Can’t really blame anyone for wanting to move on when there hasn’t been a lot of content in comparison to new leaf. Don’t get me wrong I still have fun personally and I don’t plan to quit anytime soon, but if someone just wants to stop playing it’s probably due to Nintendo’s new strategy of release the least amount of content as possible and gradually update it over a period of time
If that's the case, then the topic should be, "What should be in the next update," and not "What should be in the next Animal Crossing."

Of course, there have already been upteen threads discussing ideas for New Horizons, so that must be old news.

If that's the case, then the topic should be, "What should be in the next update," and not "What should be in the next Animal Crossing."

Of course, there have already been upteen threads discussing ideas for New Horizons, so that must be old news.
Oh what the poster wants is something they probably won’t update; more meaningful villager interactions but like I said if people just give up on it I’m not blaming them or calling them a fake fan

Oh what the poster wants is something they probably won’t update; more meaningful villager interactions but like I said if people just give up on it I’m not blaming them or calling them a fake fan
Again, it's been less than 3 months. This game will evolve over time.

Again, it's been less than 3 months. This game will evolve over time.
I agree, I have high hopes for a very good update in August but some people aren’t as optimistic. Right now if someone wants to leave they can it doesn’t necessarily mean they will drop it forever. If they see the next update is interesting to them they will come back if they’d like to

I agree, I have high hopes for a very good update in August but some people aren’t as optimistic. Right now if someone wants to leave they can it doesn’t necessarily mean they will drop it forever. If they see the next update is interesting to them they will come back if they’d like to
For sure. To each their own. I would love to see some QoL improvements, and perhaps shorten the length of time between Flick, CJ, and Redd. Otherwise, regular updates are just fine by me. Quarantine has just given people time to play when they normally wouldn't have, speeding up progress tremendously.

How many months are we going to be saying "They will add this in time".?

I don't think they can improve it without rewriting the dialogue, readding all of the awesome NL content.. like furniture and food items, and cutting down on the crafting.

It's a crafting game, and they can't really change it.
I just wish they hadn't lied about/downplayed the crafting aspect in the initial directs.

Your island.
Your way.

O_O

Your island-ish.
Nintendo's way.

Back