• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

🎄 When do you start buying/making Christmas gifts? 🎄

When do you start your Christmas gift shopping?

• Total voters

S.J.

💜
Bells
Island
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
When do you start your Christmas shopping? 🎄

For the last few years, my family has done Secret Santa for Christmas. In the first couple of days of November, I use an online Secret Santa generator to draw names for everyone that will be at Christmas! It sends out automatic messages to everyone with their gift recipient. We always use a set dollar amount, and the site has an option to make a Wish List if you want. Two of my older siblings have kids, so they're not included, and everyone just buys gifts for them separately. I like to get all of my Christmas shopping done online in November, so by December I don't have stress about it! 💖🎄✨

I usually start brainstorming gift ideas around early November. If the gift is to be hand-made, then I will start making it earlier in October, because I’m slow and a perfectionist. I also start saving up money for gifts by October.

I start in the middle of November all the way until December. While it is mostly my mother who buys the gifts, I pitch in to help out whether it has to be my gifts or someone else's.

Usually I just wait until December rolls around to actively start looking, though I passively keep my eye out for things in case I come across something good the rest of the year. I'm thinking about maybe starting earlier this year to get it done ahead of time so there's less to worry about. Waiting until December can sometimes be a dangerous game if I'm having trouble coming up with any ideas for someone in my hunting, but at least I can be reasonably sure that the few people I do exchange gifts with didn't already get the thing at some other point in the year.

I used to be an early Christmas shopper, starting in October/November because I like to put a lot of thought into getting everyone the perfect gifts. However, now I will not even consider Christmas shopping until December for my own sanity.

Since I got married and my sister-in-law had kids, we now hit what I have termed 'birthday season' in October and it lasts through mid-December. There are 10 birthdays in those 3 months, 9 of which are in October/November, and 4 of them are children's birthdays. Having to plan and buy that many gifts only to do it all over again plus some for Christmas is stressful, and this coming from someone who likes gifting.

So to take away some of the pressure, I started dividing the load. I shop for each birthday a few weeks to a month in advance. I start Christmas shopping a week or so after I've bought the last birthday present. I need a little bit of a buffer in there. Now, if I see something perfect for someone sooner, then of course I go ahead and buy it. But I don't actively begin searching until the designated time frame.

This thread has reminded me that the first birthday is in about 3 weeks. I need to get started.

As soon as summer is over, I begin thinking about Christmas and brainstorming gift ideas. Most of the stuff I'm wanting to buy doesn't go on sale (nerdy) so it doesn't hurt to get it delivered early to avoid the rush!

I think about gifts year-round! To be fair, also for birthday gifts, but I'm always brainstorming, and I've bought people's Christmas gifts in February before! I have a list of all the ideas that have crossed my mind for people so I can look back on it later if I do need ideas closer to the date. I love finding gifts for people, and being able to make them happy or thought of, it brings me so much joy. And I find that if I start thinking earlier, I often end up with a more thoughtful gift than the times I'm getting something because Christmas is two weeks away. Often cheaper as well because I can wait for things to go on sale!

i can’t tell you how happy it’s made me to see a christmas question on here already LOL… i know it’s only september and that we haven’t even gotten through halloween and thanksgiving yet, but christmas is my favourite time of year, so i’ve honestly been thinking about this year’s christmas from the moment last year’s ended
IMG_2750.png

i usually start thinking about what gifts i want to buy/make for people either in september or october, but since plans can of course change between then and christmas, i don’t start actually buying the supplies i’ll need for homemade gifts until mid-late november, and the store-bought gifts and gift bags, wrapping paper, and other supplies until early december! i always like to know what i’m doing and what i’ll need in advance— i’m too much of a worrier and overthinker to leave any shopping, let alone christmas shopping, until the last minute 😅

Usually it is a year round thing for me by just picking up things I see they may like. Since kids in the family are older now, and who knows if I'll even see them around christmas, I dont anymore.
So, id say probably November or even early December since last year.
It's rare that they even ask for anything in particular before anyway since they only care about their tablets and YouTube. So I normally don't have to order something in particular really early or anything.

Adults I try to do consumables if we do gifts so that obviously needs to be kinda close.

i can’t tell you how happy it’s made me to see a christmas question on here already LOL… i know it’s only september and that we haven’t even gotten through halloween and thanksgiving yet, but christmas is my favourite time of year, so i’ve honestly been thinking about this year’s christmas from the moment last year’s ended View attachment 513737

i usually start thinking about what gifts i want to buy/make for people either in september or october, but since plans can of course change between then and christmas, i don’t start actually buying the supplies i’ll need for homemade gifts until mid-late november, and the store-bought gifts and gift bags, wrapping paper, and other supplies until early december! i always like to know what i’m doing and what i’ll need in advance— i’m too much of a worrier and overthinker to leave any shopping, let alone christmas shopping, until the last minute 😅

I am not ready for the year to be over so quickly, but I am ready for Christmas to be here. 🎄😂

Not until around November time but this year I'm not buying gifts as everyone I know doesn't need anything in particular.

My birthday is in December and celebrated separately so usually my family doesn't want to do the shopping early. Sometimes we've done it on Christmas Eve...

My birthday is in December and celebrated separately so usually my family doesn't want to do the shopping early. Sometimes we've done it on Christmas Eve...

That's fair! Shopping on Christmas Eve is my nightmare! 😭

Whenever the best offer for them turns up.

The small amount of people I still exchange gifts with aren't the type to go buying up everything they want, so if I see something I know they'll love on a great offer and it's only in July, I can snatch it up there and then. I avoid the rush of buying closer to the time, plus I save money in the long run - it's a win win moment for me!

it feels like christmas stuff keeps getting put out earlier and earlier every year 😭 i can't really keep up anymore, but i do try to be early when it comes to gifts i need for things like secret santa. my family doesn't celebrate christmas but i like to get things for friends and people i know outside of the home. i really love participating in all the festivities. i usually wait until december for food related treats like candies and chocolate, but if something catches my eye and i have a person in mind, i'll start purchasing things around mid to end october. i try to get the bulk of my shopping done before november ends though because i can't handle stress shopping for gifts. i feel like spacing things out over a few months is a bit easier on the wallet too because i have a hard time with budgeting for things like gifts LOL

Yes, a Christmas thread! In the UK, there has been Christmas sharing tubs in the supermarkets since August! Other shops have followed and actually have Christmas gifts aswell! I know some people think it's too early, but personally, I LOVE IT! Christmas can never come early enough for me. I will usually start thinking about buying Christmas gifts in late September. I like to have everything organised and if I am stuck for ideas on what to buy for someone I still have plenty of time to drop hints to ask them! If I'm honest, I've actually been looking for ideas for Blossom since July. Think it's because I'm excited as it will be her first Christmas with us! :D

Ideally I like to start around this time of year but that usually never happens (I at least start brainstorming somewhat what to get everyone on my list) and then my next ideal time would be when Black Friday / Cyber Monday starts for some deals. But even then sometimes life happens and even that won’t happen and then I’m left stressing the rest of December to hurry last minute and get all my shopping done before Christmas. 🥲

Back