• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

🎄 When do you start buying/making Christmas gifts? 🎄

When do you start your Christmas gift shopping?

• Total voters
I usually start in November cuz I wanna make sure I get everything in time, but the thing is I usually finish earlier than expected and then I have a wrapped pile of gifts in the corner for like weeks 😆

I don’t do any Christmas shopping nor do I ask for presents. I only accept them if they’re bought for me, but I never ask.

Usually November. I try to get it done as soon as I can so it's not a last minute thing and being a pain in the butt. This year I think I'm going to look for less presents and give gift cards. My work gets really busy during those times so I have even less time for it. And anything I can think of they can get themselves.

Earlier shopping is a necessity for me now as a lot of my gifts need to be shipped internationally.

I used to be a last-minute shopper (December 22-23,) but now I'll start in November because a lot of craft fairs start then & I often find gifts there. I'll also buy gifts throughout the year because I sometimes come across something in a store and think, "person x would love this."

Am I the crazy one for doing it all year round? Thou mostly in late summer is when I really start thinking about it.

So for context, my parents bdays are in January and sis is in November, then December for Xmas ya know, which leaves a MONTHS long gap between 'gifting season'. Yes I could give gifts anytime of year but still.

If I happen to see something I think will be perfect for someone, I will legit hide it for months on end (and have done so before) until either a bday, Xmas, or some special occasion/holiday. My main concern doing this is that the person will buy it themself, but this really isn't a problem with the parents and as long as I stay away from what my sis is actively going after (Squishmallows, ect...) I won't have any issues.

I ask my family members in advance what they'd like to a Christmas gift. If I don't do it this way, I am literally not motivated to go search for a gift since the holiday season was never my thing. If what they tell me is reasonable and in my means I will probably get that for them. If they tell me they don't want anything, I leave it at that or buy them a nice meal. For my close friends, most of us are artists so sometimes we'd organize an art trade Secret Santa type thing. When I lived in the same country as my best friends, we'd also do Secret Santa for gifts.

we usually go to a shopping centre around a week or so before christmas every year (do be a tradition). online shopping wise, methinkst late november to anytime in december

As early as humanly possible. I have many people I love and care for immensely.. Christmas is also my FAVORITE holiday due to my love language being gift-giving. I love giving people things. So, I end up spending an insane amount of money for Christmas gifts.. especially since I've been working for a few years now and can afford it. c:

I like to do my xmas shopping in December... it's more Christmas-sy that way, and also, who has the patience for keeping xmas presents around for months on end?!

I've made some paintings as xmas gifts super last minute as well; all of them for my mom

It's always a guessing game when it comes to buying gifts for my family (we are all adults). They never want or ask for anything, but obviously I can't leave them with nothing. That said, I tend to just leave shopping until December since there's not an awful lot to buy anyway.

I like to ask for peoples lists now and I like to start buying and making at the end of October start of November

Usually I start in November, but since I've already bought something last week I guess I'm pretty early this year!

Normally I buy gifts in december LOL I really try to start in october every year tho. Better prices, more time and no pressure. Mabye I will get the task down this year!

I usually buy gifts before the Christmas season but I am thinking now of buying them after Christmas, maybe even in January for the better sales.

I don't buy Christmas gifts, family and relatives decided it was enough with all that stress and often gifts were not really wanted, needed or in double... so no more gifts, just food. But sometimes I cheat. Before, I was trying to buy my gifts in October-November because I got the best deals, not too much people in the mall and less package stolen or lost in the mail, but I also got caught shopping on a Dec. 24th one hour before the store close because I was too busy before... and I hated it.

When I worked in the mall it was easy, I had one hour for lunch and could do a bit of shopping while that time but working in a mall with customers from hell also made me hate holidays and shopping. I get anxiety just thinking about it.

For the food, I already started, I start buying in October-November stuff that we can keep for a long time, like preserved or canned food, so that won't have a super expensive grocery the last week (they will also cost more on the last week).

I'm literally the worst at gift-giving. I usually tend to forget until the last minute or sometimes I'll forget altogether. Usually at that point I'll just not give any gifts (expect for hope-- hope I'll get them something next year).

To be fair, I don't expect any gifts nor do I ask for anyway.

Honestly I start as soon as Christmas is over the year before... If I see presents I think people will like, I buy them and put them aside! I don't like buying specific 'xmas' giftsets or the like because they're normally not that good value

I love gifting my friends and family but every time I ask what they want, they don't have an answer so I end up either getting something generic or not getting anything at all for them.

The generic gift tends to be chocolate so I try to buy those closer to the end of November throughout December so they don't expire too soon after the gift is delivered.

I'll usually make a list throughout the year and start ordering stuff about two months beforehand.

Back