• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What’s your favorite boss battle theme?

Probably very biased, but I'd say the one from Zelda Majora's Mask! I'd argue it's a lot better than the one from Ocarina of Time.
(Listening to it again, the theme sounds a bit more... Mellow? I dunno, it sounded more epic when I was fighting Goht in the Snowhead Temple. 😆)

The one that immediately pops into my head is probably "Battle Against a True Hero" from Undertale.
The piano, the building intensity, the frantic bass line. It so perfectly fits the high-octane stress of the actual fight and, like much of Undertale's soundtrack, is a pleasure to listen to even divorced of its context.

But I can't choose just one, so here's an assorted variety pack of boss themes that have stayed in my head through the years.

I miss when Yoshi games had good music.

There are probably more I could list, but in the interest of not completely filling up the thread, this will have to do for now.

OMG! I friggin loooove the Koopa Bros! Paper Mario was such a great game.

Probably this one for me, tried to find a spoiler free one without the final boss' name, in case anyone hasn't played this game and wants to.

‘Come get me!’ from Mii Force of all things. It has hopeful highs, suspenseful lows, and is intense.

Honorable Mention: Any Golden Sun battle theme. Even the non-boss ones. They’re fast paced and have catchy bass lines.

I see one of my many favorites has been posted here already, which is the Boss Battle theme from Majora's Mask! Great song, great game. That game's soundtrack in general is amazing. But moving on...

One of my favorites is the Frontier Brain battle theme from Pokemon Platinum.

Another favorite is the music from the final phase of the Ganon battle in Breath of the Wild.

And finally, we have the Zomboss battle from Plants vs Zombies!

I'm gonna have to go with "Dialga's Fight to the Finish!" from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. It's got pretty different vibes to most final boss themes, and man oh man, the feels.

I was going to include a couple honorable mentions from the Dragon Quest series, but honestly, there's too many good ones and I couldn't decide between them. Some top picks include "The Time of Decisive Battle" (DQIX), "Brave Fight" (DQVI), "Hero's Challenge" (DQIII), "Grueling Fight" (DQIII), "Satan" (DQV), "Stake My Life On It" (DQXI)...

I have a lot! (I'm counting anyone you battle as a boss lol)

Champion Steven - Pokemon (the ORAS remix slaps)

Champion Cynthia - Pokemon (a cult classic)

Team Aqua and Magma Leader - Pokemon (in ORAS the beginning is cool with headphones)

Hoenn Elite Four - Pokemon (the ORAS one is missing the claps)

Kanto Gym Leader/Elite Four - Pokemon (the song where you know you're screwed)

Computer Virus - Kirby Super Star (I wish this boss fight was longer)

Nightmare - Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (the buildup is awesome too)

Biolizard - Sonic Adventure 2 (the song of chills and death)

Vs Shadow (For True Story) - Sonic Adventure 2 (gets you in the mood for the fight)

Last edited:
This is a very difficult question. I'd say most of my favorite video game songs are from boss battles.
Does Calamari Inkantation count? Sure it does, why am I asking? That's currently my most favorite song ever.

But there are sooo many others I like. Here are some I can remember:
Dialga's Fight to the Finish (my favorite out of the ones already mentioned in this thread)
C-R-O-W-N-E-D from Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Your Contract has Expired from A Hat in Time
Transcending, Overpowering, Everlasting from Bug Fables
The Ultimate Show from Super Paper Mario
The World Revolving from Deltarune (I love pretty much all the boss songs from Deltarune and Undertale, though)

I could list several more Splatoon, Kirby, and Pokemon songs, but I think this is enough.

Actually, honorable mention for probably being a spin-off nobody talks about:
Vs. Dark Rust from Pokemon Rumble Blast

I did have plenty of favorite boss themes, I just can't pick one since there's lots of amazing boss themes in video games.
(I have to sort it out by game categories, there's just so many)

Touhou Project boss themes:

• Necrofantasia
  • Emotional Skyscraper-Cosmic Mind
  • Border of Life
  • Doll Judgement- the Girl who played with People's Shapes
  • The Grimoire of Alice
  • Entrusting this World to idols-Idolatrize World
  • Kobito of Shining Needle-Little Princess
  • Gensokyo, Past and Present-Flower Land
Super Paper Mario boss themes:
  • Closing Battle
  • The Ultimate Show
  • Bonechill's theme
Pokemon boss themes:
  • N final battle theme
  • N battle theme
  • Unova gym leader theme (includes the Gym leader's last Pokemon theme)
  • Unova Elite Four theme
  • Zinnia's battle theme
  • Johto champion theme (mostly known because you battled Red)
Kirby boss themes:
  • Vs. Marx-Kirby Superstar
  • C.R.O.W.N.E.D- Kirby's Return to Dreamland
  • Hyness (unhooded)- Kirby Star Allies
  • Two Planets Approach the Roche Limit-Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Mind in a PROGRAM- Kirby Planet Robobot
  • Moonstruck Blossom-Kirby Triple Deluxe
  • Vs. Drawcia (both phases)-Kirby: Canvas Curse
Boss Themes from other games:
  • Splatattack! (Octo)- Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
  • Battle B2: Boss battle- Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • God Shattering Star- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • End of All-Fire Emblem Fates

Sincerely one of the best, hard to beat. Haunting and intimidating yet still energetic enough to keep you engaged!

People slept on B&W for so long and they're finally realizing how great it is. The OST is no exception.

I dont think I ever really finished this game because I was stuck on the final boss so this is ingrained into my head as a core memory lol

Anybody over the age of 18 should play this game and I hope this convinces you to. There is no lack of great music in this game and the 2nd one too.

Hidden gem of a game with amazing music

For me, it's a no brainer, it has to be Skies of Arcadia's boss themes. I could talk about just my favorite one, but I really do want to talk about all 3. The main one is fantastic, and does something that is rarely done in games and changes the music based on how well/poorly you're doing in battle (in the video below, it changes around 1:24 for "Crisis" or bad, and changes around 1:54 for "Opportunity" or good), which really helps to convey the mood of "oh no I'm about to die" and "oh man I'm about to beat this" a lot:

The Armada Battle theme which plays against certain bosses during the game is my favorite of the 3. It's wonderful and really sets the mood of it being an epic fight against one of the main bad guys of the game so well. I honestly have as my favorite boss theme of any game:

The final boss music is amazing as well and really does help convey that feeling of "oh my god it's the final battle" so perfectly, and the way it ends up leading into Opportunity (1:54 in the video) and giving that feeling of being on the verge of victory and beating the final boss, truly a masterpiece.

Really, I love all of Skies of Arcadia's OST. It's such an amazing OST that continues to be one of my favorite video game OSTs of all time.

Back