• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What were some note worthy experiences when you were on holiday?

ItsThatDamCatAgain

Professional Clown
Bells
I remember when I was a kid me and my family went on a trip to Spain, we couldn't drink the tap water or we'd get sick and it was Very Hot, my family all went somewhere once and I got to stay in the hotel room watching tv... in Spanish. I remember watching Doreamon in Spanish the first time I ever watched that show and I recall 2 episodes.
1. Doreamon fell for a white female cat (looked like a disney character the way it was drawn).
2. There was a mouse in their house and Doreamon puLLED OUT A FULL SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE TO TRY AND SHOOT IT. I remember being shocked at that since Uk and American shows Do Not Show Guns.
And he, that blue earless anthro cat magic pocket robot just straight whipped out the Heat on that mouse. I've spent so long trying to find those episodes to no avail.

Also we went to a restaurant and they gave me a very large coke served in a big glass BOOT. I loved it. I wanted a giant glass boot of my own, but for sorrow, I have never found one... because I keep forgetting to look for it.

I went to Germany too cause my mother's boyfriend's brother is there and all that stands out is that it was a hellish car ride followed by a hellish car-boat-ferry ride and the entire time we were there flies would just get tangled in your hair. Also they had a bearded dragon that was very cool. And I got a hell leg cramp. They had cheese bread.

Got chased off by swans while on a picnic in Scotland, then two small children came up and saved us by chasing the swans, grabbing them and trying to ride on their backs 😂

I was surprised in France because they serve alcohol in McDonalds. If they did that in the UK I'm pretty sure the amount of drunken fights in McDonalds would increase by 150% lmao
When I was in France they also played a lot of the English language TV shows I watched back in the UK, but dubbed in French. You could still hear the original voices underneath the dubbing, which was weird!

You can get UK TV channels like ITV and BBC in The Netherlands, which I only found out because I got super sick on my second day in Amsterdam and had to stay in the hotel room all day instead of going out 😫

• A friend and I ended up chatting with the lead actor of a play in London once. We had no idea he was an actor until we saw him on stage later that night.
  • This was a job abroad rather than an actual holiday, but about ten years ago I was working somewhere in central Germany and got stuck up a mountain in the snow. And we were all underdressed and wearing inappropriate footwear because it hadn't been snowing when we left at 6am. Our team made it to the bottom with a lot of difficulty - it was a real bonding experience!
  • I was mistaken for a prostitute in Hamburg's red light district a few years back. The person offering me money kept raising the price, when I declined he assumed I was arrogant, and then when the train came in he started loudly yelling that I was only worth €1.50. Absolutely mortifying. I was only there to attend a gig and didn't speak enough German to explain that he had misunderstood the situation.

my brother (who was like 6 at the time) just took someone else's coffee and drank it lmao, we were all really confused (where did the coffee come from?) and the person who sat down at their table was like "where's my coffee??"

we figured it out and paid for another coffee for that person but it was pretty funny lmao.
this coming from the same brother who drank "water" (vodka) accidentally when he was younger. now we keep the stuff on muuuuch higher shelving.

I was in Vancouver, Canada a few years ago and one of my moms saw an ad on a sign. She thought it was weird, so I had to explain what Grindr was to her. Let’s just say she was surprised…

Being in Philadelphia years ago on a day when it was in the 100's Fahrenheit temperature-wise and then in the 30's and rainy the same day, LMAO.

Sleeping in my car at the beach. I left a whole day early thinking I could just check in to my hotel a bit earlier than expected. It was my birthday the next day, and I didn't want to spend it driving 8 hours. There were some delays which caused me to arrive late. The check-in place was closed by the time I got there. All other hotels were wayyy too expensive to stay for one night. I ended up sleeping in my car in a Walmart parking lot with some stray cats. I didn't get a wink of sleep. There were speakers in the parking lot that were blasting music. At around 3am, the garbage people came around and made a lot of noise. I finally got to check in the next day. Best start to my birthday. Sleeping in a parking lot.

• one time my family went on vacation to a lake and we brought my dog. he was playing in the water and he didn't want to get out, it was really cute.
  • in 2016 my family went on vacation to daytona beach in florida because my grandfather was having a school reunion there and he invited us. at night there was a street performer near the beach and he picked my dad to juggle bowling pins over. i was kind of scared that the juggler wouldn't catch the bowling pins and i also think that they were on fire (i cant really remember) but luckily my dad remained unscathed.

we went down to south carolina (myrtle beach) when i was a youngin and my dad was dating a woman who had 2 kids. the youngest girl, a daughter, was so excited to go jump into the hotel pool that she ran straight into the hotel room "patio" glass door and fell flat on the ground. she started laughing so hard she started crying.

to be fair, the windows were VERY CLEAN. and she was like 8. its such a fun story to tell.

I was in Korea and maybe a week or two earlier, I saw a social media post of this beautiful peach tart — it was a cored and peeled white peach filled with cream on top of a custard tart. Very summery and beautiful! So when I was in the area, I went to the cafe and walked up to the counter to order it. I had gotten the last tart of the day, and just in the nick of time because the customer behind me in line also was planning on ordering it.

The best part wasn't even the tart though. The real best part was getting to sit at a window seat to eat the tart and seeing a friendly tuxedo cat snuggle up under the outdoor table for a little nap. Maximum cuteness and satisfaction. It was a great day that day.

Back