• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Winter Holiday Food

MiniPocketWorld

🌺💦🏄💦🌺
Bells
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Flimsy Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Violet
Purple Violet
Are there certain things you eat on certain holidays?
Like on my side of the family we do breakfast together on Christmas so we tend to eat american breakfast food (usually eggs and a couple of other non sweet things) and then something sweet that changes every year since we aren't together later in the day when a dessert is more appropriate. I think this year I think it has something to do with apples and cinnamon but other years it has varied from monkey bread to cheesecake to lumps of coal (like a cake pop), to shortbread cookies.

i didn't have any this year but sufganiyah for hanukkah is a must

sufganiyot-jelly-filled-donuts-2.jpg

the jewish bakery near me was closed this hanukkah because the owner had covid :[ baruch hashem he's fine now but i really missed them this year.

Tamales-scaled.jpg

Every Christmas my family has tamales.When my mom was still alive I used to help her make them.It was a lot of work but worth it.We usually made beef tamales but sometimes it would be my favorite kind: corn,chilies and cheese.

I don’t have them every holiday season, but the Christmas Pillsbury sugar cookies are one of my favourite holiday treats to indulge in! The snowman ones are my favourite design-wise, but the Christmas tree and reindeer ones are adorable as well! I actually made a batch of the snowman cookies today! ⛄❤️
Please ignore the tear in the parchment paper and the squished cookie LOL, I’m pretty sure I accidentally squashed it while taking them out of the oven. 😂 Still tasted good, though!
IMG_5027.jpeg

Since I'm in the southern hemisphere, my family's Christmas is a bit weird since we eat a mix of some traditional winter Christmas foods and summer foods like barbecue and summer fruit. My favourite dish though has to be pavlova, which is like a giant soft merengue with whipped cream and fruit on top. I'd say that it's probably the biggest Christmas dish in Australia and New Zealand and one of my favourite foods.
etfgsfsf.jpg

Natilla
View attachment 526391

Its better when made from scratch but you can buy ready to make boxes. Some of them come in different flavours like coconut, passionfruit and three milks.
This looks a lot like coquito!

Im usually excited for pasteles, which are similar to tamales but made with yucca or plantain masa instead of corn masa, then are wrapped in banana leaves and steamed, and are pretty intensive to make. Arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas) and pernil (roasted pork shoulder) are also such yummy and savory comfort foods my family eats around the holidays.

pasteles.jpg
Screenshot_20231222-141117~2.png

Not really anything out of the ordinary?

I make homemade cookies. Used to make a lot more, but now it's just down to chocolate chip and peanut butter.
I make pecan and pumpkin pie. This year I actually made the pumpkin puree from pumpkins I grew and pureed myself. That was kind of cool to do.
I also make cream of crab soup from crabs that I catch and pick in the summer. I freeze the crab meat until it's close to the holidays and then make a big pot of it.
And sausage, bacon, and egg casserole.

So yeah nothing really special like all of you showed.

Not really anything out of the ordinary?

I make homemade cookies. Used to make a lot more, but now it's just down to chocolate chip and peanut butter.
I make pecan and pumpkin pie. This year I actually made the pumpkin puree from pumpkins I grew and pureed myself. That was kind of cool to do.
I also make cream of crab soup from crabs that I catch and pick in the summer. I freeze the crab meat until it's close to the holidays and then make a big pot of it.
And sausage, bacon, and egg casserole.

So yeah nothing really special like all of you showed.
Idk crab can be out of the ordinary if you don't live in the coast. I love crab but crabs don't live where I live.

My mom makes lugaw (a filipino rice porridge dish, she adds chicken to hers) for Christmas Eve and we recently added on shrimp tempura with it.

lugaw-feat.jpg

(This picture shown is obviously fancier, tastier looking because rice porridge isn't always the most prettiest dish. We don't add the extra stuff on top!)

Idk crab can be out of the ordinary if you don't live in the coast. I love crab but crabs don't live where I live.
I guess I never thought about that. It's just always been a tradition of mine to make a thick creamy crab soup. It's pretty good and I'm usually not big on soup.

When I think of these kinds of topics I always just assume more cultural foods.

1703444016159.png

i don't really celebrate christmas anymore but these are amazing and tasty. i think little debbie ceased all production in canada though, so i'm probably not gonna eat it anytime soon unfortunately ☹️ ☹️

View attachment 526962
i don't really celebrate christmas anymore but these are amazing and tasty. i think little debbie ceased all production in canada though, so i'm probably not gonna eat it anytime soon unfortunately ☹️ ☹️
Those are really good. My grandma loved those and would buy them every year. She thought they were beautiful. Do you know why they aren't being made in Canada anymore? That's sad. Little Debbie makes a few different holiday things. I like their pastel colored hearts for February, and some of their normal year round stuff is really good too.

We eat this salad like every day from Christmas Eve to New Year's Eve. It may not look special but everyone likes it. (This photo isn't mine)

iu

My family has traditionally done breakfast food for Christmas. It started when my brother and I were kids. We'd wake up and open presents in the morning, then my dad would make breakfast and we would just continue to eat that all day. Even after we grew up, moved out, and started gathering in the afternoon or early evening, the breakfast foods stuck. We usually have sausage, ham, biscuits, jams/jellies, and homemade potato salad from my grandmother's recipe. Oysters and shrimp were also part of the menu when my dad was alive, but since he was the only one who cared about those we haven't continued that tradition.

Back