• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Pokémon What Starter Did You Pick in Each Region?

On first times…

1: Charmander
2: Cyndaquil
3: Torchic
4: Piplip
5: Snivy
6: Fennekin
7: Litleo
8: Sobble

I default to the fire type for the first time if I don’t like another one better, because that’s what I do most often and am used to.

Gen 1 - Squirtle
Gen 2 - Chikorita (I am a masochist)
Gen 3 - Mudkip
Gen 4 - Piplup
Gen 5 - Oshawott but this was the only generation where I wasn't immediately drawn to one in particular, I considered Snivy as well.
Gen 6 - Fennekin
Gen 7 - Popplio (favorite starter line)
Gen 8 - Scorbunny

Gen 1: Bulbasaur
Gen 2: Cyndaquil
Gen 3: Torchic (my all time favorite pokémon is Blaziken!)
Gen 4: Chimchar
Gen 5: Snivy
Gen 6: Chespin
Gen 7: Litten
Gen 8: Scorbunny

I consider myself a fire type trainer first and foremost, so I usually pick that starter, but sometimes the grass ones lure me. If I get both games in a generation, I’ll usually pick the water starter on my second game to balance things out!

Gen 1: Charmander
Gen 2: Cyndaquil
Gen 3: Mudkip
Gen 4: Turtwig
Gen 5: Oshawott

Other than being picky about their nature, I don't care much about how good they are competitively when it comes to main story playthrough. I always pick which one I like the most.

I haven't played Gen I in a minute, but I love them all and just go with what I'm feeling atm
On the contrary I don't like anyone out of Gen II and will also just shuffle. Slight bias towards Cyndaquil though
Gen III Treecko
Gen IV Turtwig always <3 though I love Chimchar too, he was actually my very first pick
Gen V Tepig but I'm not into any of them really
Gen VI Froakie
Gen VII Popplio but they're also all pretty meh
Gen VIII Grookey <3

I follow a simple pattern of only picking grass/water types unless they're not a cute as the fire type lol.

Gen 1: Squirtle
Gen 2: Chikorita
Gen 4: Piplup
Gen 7: Rowlet (my absolute fave!!!)

I loved all of Gen 8's starters but Scorbunny was way too cute to not pick aaaa

Gen 1: Squirtle
Gen 5: Tepig
Gen 6: Fennekin (X) and Chespin (Y)
Gen 7: Rowlet (Sun) and Popplio (Moon)
Gen 8: Grookey (Sword) and Scorbunny (Shield)

I typically pick the cutest starter.

First times:
Gen 1: Pikachu (Yellow version hype. I chose Squirtle on Blue, though).
Gen 4: Piplup (And by far my favorite starter)
Gen 6: Froakie
Gen 7: Rowlet

These are the ones I pick when I played the games for the first time, I mainly chosen them by design and not what type they have:

Gen 2 (HG/SS) - Cyndaquil
Gen 3 - Torchic
Gen 4 - Piplup
Gen 5 - Snivy (Oshawott in the other version)
Gen 6 - Fennekin
Gen 7 - Litten
Gen 8 - Didn't play Sword and Shield but I would have chosen Scorbunny

Gen 2: Totodile
Gen 3: Treecko
Gen 6: Froakie
Gen 8: Sobble

The water starters are often my favourite.~ Fennekin and Rowlett were close faves to what I chose, so I used the fire fox in Y. I loved Litten’s line too much to change in Ultra Sun though.

Gen 1: Charmander
Gen 2: Totodile
Gen 3: Treecko
Gen 5: Snivy
Gen 6: Fennekin
Gen 7: Popplio

Didn’t play Gen 8

Generally have a water bias and Treecko was chosen because I just pressed A since Sapphire was my first Pokemon game ever.

1. Bulbasaur (bby needs more love)
2. Chikorita (again needs more love)
3. Mudkip (mud babyyyyy)
4. Turtwig/Piplup
5. At first, Snivy, but during later playthroughs it was Oshawott
6. Fenniken (bby fire fox? Yes plz!)
7. Rowlet/Popplio
8. Scorbunny

Just a bit of an update! I’ve reformatted this thread to list by region instead of gen as that makes more sense in the end so keep in mind that old unedited posts are listed by gen instead.

I also added my choice for the Hisui region to the first post. To those that have posted before feel free to edit your old post or make a new one with the region format if you’d like.

There's a, um, noticeable pattern with my picks...

Kanto: Squirtle
Johto: Totodile
Hoenn: Mudkip
Sinnoh: Piplup
Unova: Oshawott
Kalos: Froakie
Alola: Popplio
Galar: Sobble
Hisui: Oshawott

It started off as a coincidence for the first five gens, then after that, it just sorta became a thing.

Oh, geez... I don't know if I'm gonna be able to remember, but I'll try my best:
  1. Kanto: Squirtle
  2. Johto: Cyndaquil
  3. Hoenn: Treecko
  4. Sinnoh: Turtwig (or Piplup; can't remember completely)
  5. Unova: Snivy
  6. Kalos: Fennekin
  7. Alola: Rowlet
  8. Galar: Sobble
  9. Hisui: Cyndaquil

These are the starters I choose every replay, I've used many different starters but these are the ones I consider my 'official' choices:

1. Kanto: Charmander
2. Johto: Totodile
3. Hoenn: Treecko
4. Sinnoh: Piplup
5. Unova: Oshawott
6. Kalos: Fennekin
7. Alola: Rowlet
8. Galar: Scorbunny

For Hisui, I'm picking Cyndaquil since I've already used Rowlet and Oshawott! Cyndaquil was my first ever starter back when I played Soul Silver for the first time, and I remember getting my Typhlosion to level 100. I prefer Totodile now but Cyndaquil still has a special place in my heart 🥰

Kanto: Pikachu (if it counts, I only played Yellow)
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh: Turtwig
Unova: Tepig
Alola: Litten
Galar: Scorbunny

Kanto: Bulba
Johto: Chiko
Hoenn: Mudkip (but LUV torchic!!!!!)
Sinnoh: Pip
Unova: Osha
Alola: Popplio
Galar: Scorbunny
Hisui: Rowlet

Johto (hgss): chikorita
Unova: oshawott
Kalos: fennekin
Alola: popplio

i basically picked the ones that were the most immediately cute to me 😆 i'd most likely pick the water types in all the other regions

Kanto: I didn't get to play when it launched but, I would pick Bulbasaur today.
Johto: Totodile (second favorite region, all starters were also great)
Hoenn: Mudkip (favorite region, and favorite starter) Torchic is also cool.
Sinnoh: Piplup, but I much prefer Tirtwig (most disliked region)
Unova: Oshawott, but I much prefer Snivy
Kalos: Fennekin, but I dislike all of them (worst game in my opinion, at least Sinnoh had mysterious lore while Kalos falls flat)
Alola: Rowlit but I didn't care for them in general, better than Kalos's though. I liked the Trials and disliked how restrictive choosing your paths were.
Galar: Grookey and I really liked him. Galar was a big improvement in my opinion but there were some disappointments for me in it as well that really bothered me. As a result I fell off of pokemon. I enjoyed the game as it was at the time though. As of today, the only pokemon games I would have an interest in playing are Hoenn, Johto, and maybe Kanto games. I don't foresee myself coming back to pokemon beyond that.

Back