Pokémon Pokemon Master Dex Challenge

Ok, so I had left off at Aggron for my gen 3 Master Dex. I caught a Lairon in Victory Road and gave it a couple levels until it evolved. Next is Meditite which is unfortunately not available in Emerald so I have to go back to playing through Sapphire. I'm currently working on getting to the fourth gym. Meditite is fairly late game at Mt. Pyre so I have a ways to go. I do need to fully finish Sapphire at some point anyways in order to get Latias in the post game as I've selected Latios in Emerald. I've also picked up a Roselia and Lunatone while I was at it as those are other exclusives I'll need that aren't available in Emerald.

Feels good to be back at the grind.

Ok I made some really good progress on gen 3 the other day. I made it up to the 6th gym in Sapphire. Instead of taking on the gym though I kept going so I could grab Meditite. I also grabbed a few other exclusives I needed while I was at it like Lunatone and Roselia. Once traded over to Emerald I put Sapphire back on pause (I’ll have to come back to it later for Latias).

On Emerald I was able to get another 18 Pokemon completed and transferred over to gen 4. I have 3 gen 4 games that I can transfer to so I can transfer up to 18 Pokemon a day (6 per game). While on my way to battling the interviewers to level up some Pokemon to get them to evolve Latios made a surprise appearance. After thinking about it for a couple mins I decided to use my Masterball on him as chasing him around Hoenn is a huge pain and I didn’t really have a plan for what I wanted to use my Masterball on anyways. While I wasn’t expecting him to show up I’m glad he did cause now I don’t have to blindly search for him once I get to him in the Dex.

I just finished Camerupt (#323) which leaves 61 Pokemon left in gen 3. I recently got a Wailord so I figured I better unlock the chambers to the Regi trio before I transferred him. So I quickly went to get a Relicanth and opened the chambers so the Regis are ready for me to collect at any time. Relicanth will just hang out in my boxes for now as I haven’t reached it’s Dex number just yet. Overall I made some really good progress.

I've made some more good progress on my gen 3 dex. I'm down to 42 left now. Only real setback/slowdown I had was Zangoose. It's exclusive to Ruby only so I had to start a playthrough of Ruby from the beginning. It's not super far into the game but also not crazy early either. I basically had to beat the first 3 gyms and then make my way just passed Fallarbor Town. That took me several hours over a couple of days but I managed to get one.

Going forward I shouldn't have to play through more of the gen 3 games aside from finishing Sapphire at some point (I left off at the 6th gym) in order to get Latias. I've been using a team full of Hoenn Pokemon I've never really used before at least so that's kept the playthrough interesting. After the next full transfer I believe I get to the legendaries so that will be fun.

Ok, made some more really good progress this past weekend in gen 3. I'm down to just levelling up the Bagon and Beldum lines as well as catching the legendaries (aside from Latios who I already have).

I did end up playing Sapphire a bit more as I had forgotten that you can only get one Deepseascale/tooth per save and I needed one of each to get both of Clamperl's evolutions. So I've now completed up to the 7th gym in Sapphire (as dive is required to get the scale/tooth).

Once I finish grinding up and evolving the Bagon and Beldum lines I'll start on the legendaries. As mentioned earlier I will need to finish beating the league in Sapphire in order to get Latias but thankfully I'm already 7 gyms in so while there's still a fair bit to go I'm not too far from the end of the game.

Fairly quick update but an update nonetheless. I'm finally done with grinding up the Bagon and Metagross lines whew. Level 50 and 45 respectively by the way. All that's left now are 7 legendaries as I already have Latios by pure chance. 6 of the remaining 7 I plan on getting this weekend hopefully as I can get them all in Emerald. For the last one (Latias) I still need to finish Sapphire first (still have the last gym to go) and then I will hopefully find the final roaming dragon without too much trouble. *fingers crossed*. Anyways on the home stretch now. :)

Alright so gen 3 is basically done now aside from waiting until later today to do the final gen 3 to 4 transfer and then mass transferring everything up to Home.

The legendaries went surprisingly well. Only really Kyogre gave me some trouble. The Regi trio was really easy though their movesets are pretty easy to deal with and they are only level 40 while my team was in their 60s. I had forgotten how annoying the movesets of the cover legendaries are though. They have a buffing move, hard hitting stab move, one hit KO move, and of course my arch nemesis rest. Not to mention they are also level 70 so more often than not their hard hitting move would just KO my Pokemon anyways. Kyogre took probably 20+ resets but I did finally catch it. Groudon and Rayquaza on the other hand only took a reset or two which was surprising.

Finally I cheesed the end of Sapphire just to get through it quick by trading my Emerald team over and stomping the 8th gym and league. After that I began my (shockingly) short hunt for Latias. I caught a level 20 something Pokemon in order to repel trick on one of the earlier routes. Cause in case you didn’t know, Latias or Latios randomly roam the wild post game and finding them is pure luck. At least they are level 40 though so you can repel away lower levels easily enough. Anyways I found a route I wanted to hunt for Latias on put my level 20 something as my lead, saved and used a repel. Stepped into the grass and bam! Random encounter. At first I thought I didn’t use a high enough level Pokemon as my lead but nope Latias just happened to be on the route I decided to search right at the beginning. I can’t believe my luck. To save me the hassle of continuously chasing it around I used my Masterball.

With gen 3 officially complete (just have to finish transferring everything) it’s time to move onto gen 4. I will be taking a bit of a break to play something else for a change before continuing though. I’ll update here once return to start on gen 4 though. :)

I took a break from my break this past weekend to take inventory on my gen 6 collection. I definitely had 15 or so to replace but I managed to get it done. Most annoying were the Zygarde forms as both of mine were from Alola and not Kalos but after 20+ trades on Pokémon Home I finally got 2 English Zygardes from Kalos. I also have all Vivillon forms and all Furfrou forms (via Pokémon Go as they just revert to normal form in gen 6) except 2 but I’m sure I’ll get them eventually. I also still need a Hoopa in its Unbound form so I’ll have to trade on Reddit at some point to get that. Considering I’m only missing 3 optional forms I pretty much consider gen 6 complete.

Next I’ll have to do inventory on my gen 7 and 8 collection but it’s likely in better shape than my gen 6 one was.

Edit: Got the Furfrou forms just down to Unbound Hoopa now for gen 6.

Last edited:
Just finished taking inventory of my gen 7 and 8 collections and as I figured they are both properly complete. I did swap out my Sinistea and Poltegeist for authentic version ones though as I figured may as well have the rarer versions of them.

As of now it’s just gen 4 and 5 left of my Master Dex challenge. I will be going back to my break and playing Chrono Trigger for likely the next few weeks, but then I’ll be returning to the grind with gen 4.

Decided to forgo my break and just work on this challenge in between bursts of other games. I finally managed to acquire Hoopa in its Unbound form so I’m really happy about that. I also spent some time in SoulSilver in order to get Unown ! and ?. Now all alternate forms for those games are complete. It’s truly just gen 4 and 5 left at this point.

I have also officially started on gen 4 by getting all of the starters and their evolutions. I’m in good shape for gen 4 as I recently played through Platinum last year and am pretty sure I’ve already caught all the legendaries. I also have a complete save on Diamond. So it’ll only be a matter of playing part way through Pearl to grab it’s exclusives mainly.

Ok I am way overdue for an update on my progress in gen 4. I am currently up to Ambipom now. So far it’s been going really well.

The highlights so far include getting the fossils which I have never actually done before haha. If you don’t know the fossils in gen 4 are only found by playing the mining mini game in the underground instead of the typical here’s two, choose one and you don’t get the other. RNG was actually really mean to me though as the 2 new fossils in gen 4 are uncommon to find while all older fossils are rare. I found tons of the older rare fossils before finally finding the ones I needed. Also one fossil is exclusive to Diamond, the other to Pearl and for Platinum it depends on your trainer ID. Thankfully my ID in my Platinum save gave me the Pearl exclusive fossil as I currently don’t have a save in Pearl.

I also got to go for the honey tree Pokémon. I know the honey tree mechanics are notorious for being a pain in the behind but I got insanely lucky. Only took me a couple days of checking honey trees to get all the Pokémon I needed from them. If you don’t know how honey trees work, you slather honey on a honey tree and if you check back at least 6 hours later a Pokémon is likely in the tree. The hardest one to get is Munchlax as it’s only a 1% chance spawn but only at 4 select trees that vary by save file. I was able to use a calculator to find out 2 of my 4 special trees using my trainer ID and after only the third time of using honey a Munchlax appeared. I was pretty shocked. It was also female to boot which Munchlax are only 12.5% female on top of the 1% chance it even showing up in the first place.

Moving forward I’ll need to start my Pearl save soon. As Misdreavus is exclusive to it and I need one to evolve. I’ll also have to play up to the 5th gym in order to get Glameow and Purulgy. While they are both on a fairly early route in Pearl unfortunately you can’t even reach grass on said route unless you have surf and that requires the 5th badge if I recall. Oh well could be worse. I believe that’s all I’ll need from Pearl though thankfully.

Just a small update today but needed thanks to the Pokémon Home update. I have now moved all new Pokémon and new Pokémon forms from my Legends Arceus save to Home. It’s complete other than I’ll need to grab a second Enamorus for its second form when I play through the game again in the future. I thought I’d need Palkia and Dialga for their new forms but they just revert when despoited so I don’t need them after all.

I have made a little process in gen 4 since my last update. I’m at Glameow now. I started my Pearl save and made it to Eterna forest in order to nab a Misdreavus to evolve and I also grabbed a Murkrow from Diamond to also evolve. For Glameow I need to beat the 5th gym in Pearl so I’ll be spending my time in that game for the next little while as I only have one badge in that save so far.

Again not really a major update but got some good stuff done. I spent most of my morning plowing through Pearl. The highlight was probably barely beating Maylene. I was down to just my Grotle vs her Lucario. Once Lucario was low health Grotle took a hit from Force Palm and was paralyzed from it. I needed Grotle to get the next hit in or it was over as Grotle is slow and only had 8hp left. Thankfully he was able to move and just barely finished off Lucario with his not every effective move. Whew. The rest of the game went really smooth. I was able to finish beating the 5th gym just a short while ago so I was able to access the area with Glameow. I now have up to Purulgy complete. I believe I am now done with Pearl. I know I still have something to grab from Diamond but being a completed save it shouldn’t be a big deal. :)

Been meaning to give an update since Monday but considering I literally finished off Gen 4 today I guess that’s fine I’ll combine the updates in this post haha.

To start last long weekend (Monday was a holiday in my country) I finished catching/breeding all of the rest of the Pokémon that I needed so all I had left to do was evolve a bunch of them. Of note were probably the Great Marsh/Safari Zone Pokémon as there are a few new gen 4 Pokémon that you can only get in the safari zone. I had pretty good luck and was able to get all that I needed from there in an hour or two.

The rest of this week (Tuesday on) I’ve been working on evolving all the Pokémon that still needed to be evolved after getting home from work. Today I finally finished off the last couple trade, stone and level up with a certain move Pokémon. Many late Dex gen 4 Pokémon are actually just pre existing Pokémon from before gen 4 that got new evolutions in gen 4. Anyways all of them are now complete. I’ll move them up to Home tomorrow when I have more time. :)

All that’s left now is gen 5 and a second Enamorus from Legends. I was going to go straight into gen 5 but I think I’ll actually take a “break” and play legends next. I actually have a neat thematic type playthrough in mind (not a challenge type run but a fun idea nonetheless) that I’m excited to try out as my first playthrough of the game was a couple months ago now so I’m ready to give it another go. :)

I’ll probably keep gameplay updates about that playthrough in the Legends Arceus themed threads as they are more suited for those. I’ll still come back here and update for when I get Enamorus/start gen 5 so stay tuned for that. Until then, see you around the forums.

Keep up the good work Holla, we're rooting for you! Also, it's nice that you can get a shiny charm as a reward for completing the National Dex in the more recent games. And in B2/W2, Professor Juniper will allow you to receive a shiny Haxorus at the Nature Preserve if you've seen all the Pokémon in the Unova Dex, which is awesome.

Keep up the good work Holla, we're rooting for you! Also, it's nice that you can get a shiny charm as a reward for completing the National Dex in the more recent games. And in B2/W2, Professor Juniper will allow you to receive a shiny Haxorus at the Nature Preserve if you've seen all the Pokémon in the Unova Dex, which is awesome.

Thanks for the encouragement! I’m getting near the end of completing Legends for the second time for another Enamorus. After which I look forward to diving into gen 5. I actually really look forward to getting that shiny Haxorus cause I was never able to get it originally. I played Black 2 after the wifi servers got shut down and my only “friend” at the time that had White couldn’t be bothered to help me with the handful of exclusives I ended to see the remaining Pokémon in the Dex that I couldn’t see with my Version. I now have access to both versions so it should be fun for sure. :)

Ok, so Friday I finally got a second Enamorus in Legends for its second form so I’m officially done with that game.

Yesterday I picked up gen 5 and have so far been steam rolling through White. I already have a complete save in Black with its exclusive legendaries which is good. So far in White I have 7 badges so it’s going really well. Once I am far enough to get the legendaries I need from White then I will be going through and working on my Master Dex for gen 5.

Finished playing enough of the way through Pokémon White that I can now start my living master Dex for gen 5. I beat the 8th gym then traded over my team from Black to finish off the Elite 4 (saved me a bunch of grinding doing that). Caught Zekrom as part of the story and nabbed Thundurus while I was at it.

Starting tomorrow I plan on getting one of each of the starters and going through the Dex from there as I’ve done for the rest of the series. :)

Got the first 9 Pokémon done for gen 5. Basically the starters and their evolutions. Took longer than I thought as I had to spend yesterday getting an Oshawott. I didn’t have a copy of gen 5 I was willing to reset and I was missing Oshawott.

Thankfully it turns out there are fan servers you can access by changing your dns number so you can still (unofficially) trade, battle etc in gen 4 and 5. It’s pretty dead though only a 100ish Pokémon even posted on the gen 5 GTS but I was able to get an Oshawott for a female Archen. I already had Archen though breeding it to get a female was a bit annoying as it only has a 12.5% chance of being female but hey I got one after an hour or so.

I’m happy to finally have a bit of a start on gen 5. :)

Made some really good progress on gen 5 this weekend. I’ve now made 2 full transfers. One transfer is 1 full box which is 30 Pokémon. When moving Pokémon from gen 5 to Bank it takes everything saved in your first box in the game and puts it in Bank. So I’ve basically been using my box 1 in game to fill with my master Dex Pokémon and once it gets full I transfer it to Bank and then later to Home.

I believe I left off at levelling a Krokorok in order to evolve it into a Krookodile. I really like that gen 5 has lots of postgame high level Pokémon to grind on for levelling. So far it’s felt way less grindy compared to all previous gens.

Back