• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon You like(d) Pokémon but these things irk(ed) you!

Not being able to run away from a wild encounter irritates me. If I don't need, or want, to catch a pokemon and don't want to waste time battling it, then let me run away! Been having this problem more often in the Underground because I accidently bump into a pokemon while going thru the biomes. So annoying.

Now that I'm playing Pokemon Brilliant Diamond I am a bit bothered they got rid of overworld encounters that was a feature introduced since Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. It was cool to see where the pokemon would spawn so that way you don't always run them, but going back to the old ways where Pokemon was in the tall grass is not all that great. I even took ONE step in the grass and I encountered a Pokemon. This annoy me so much that i had to buy like so many repels.

What irked me about the Pokémon series is that they don’t have difficulty selection in most mainline games (with the exception of BW2) and that the battle system haven’t improved much since the gameboy games. There’s also no option of speeding up battle animations and skipping non cinematic cutscenes.

Don‘t get me started on how most rivals in Pokémon games are pretty one- dimensional character-wise, at least N is an interesting character and Hugh have a different goal besides the usual “I wanna be strong because I wanna compete the Pokémon league“ most friendly rivals in Pokémon games are kind of boring in my opinion.

(when can we get a reverse Pokémon rival development when a friendly rival turns “evil” or a Pokémon rival that just happens to act friendly as a facade? Or a concept of a Pokémon champion being the bad guy? These concepts have potential!)

I just want Pokémon to do something different with the setting and characters and improve the battle system instead of introducing gimmick battle mechanics that won’t be there in the next game.

Now that I'm playing Pokemon Brilliant Diamond I am a bit bothered they got rid of overworld encounters that was a feature introduced since Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. It was cool to see where the pokemon would spawn so that way you don't always run them, but going back to the old ways where Pokemon was in the tall grass is not all that great. I even took ONE step in the grass and I encountered a Pokemon. This annoy me so much that i had to buy like so many repels.
Agree, this was such the best in Sword and now playing BD I just have to keep buying Repels, like okay I need to go up the mountain not fight weak mobs lol.

Also yeah devs/nintendo with their update approach. sheesh. just add gts/wt back already!

What irked me about the Pokémon series is that they don’t have difficulty selection in most mainline games (with the exception of BW2) and that the battle system haven’t improved much since the gameboy games. There’s also no option of speeding up battle animations and skipping non cinematic cutscenes.
Wait, did they remove the feature to turn battle animations off in the Switch games?

Poffin making in BDSP. I mean I weren't too keen on it in the OG games but at least you had touch screen and could actually control it without breaking buttons...

I love Pokemon, I really do, but we need change to the old formula, badly. How many times can I play the same game over and over and over, just with a different skin, before getting bored? I really hope Legends Arceus is good. It's something Pokemon needs.

I don't mind the repetitive-ness but yeah updates approach that they will add on in 5 years is not the way to make fresh, lazy devs.

Poffin making in BDSP. I mean I weren't too keen on it in the OG games but at least you had touch screen and could actually control it without breaking buttons...
I guess they intended for you to use the Switch as a touchscreen while in handheld, but when you're playing on the TV its really funky and so weird to control with the buttons

I guess they intended for you to use the Switch as a touchscreen while in handheld, but when you're playing on the TV its really funky and so weird to control with the buttons
Yeah I mean you can't even touch on Lite so, it's all the bike game from mario party 1 all over lol.

*walks up to mic*

Feebas

*mic drop*

I moved on to Temtem and looked into Digimon games because I don't like how Nintendo is handling Pokemon. The least pokemon games I have played was Pokemon Shield. It was better than X and Y but eh..

The best Pokemon games in my opinion are the older ones.
Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Omega Ruby, Black, White, Pokemon Colosseum.
I hear that Black 2 and White 2 are also good but idk. Of the list above, Black and White are my least favorite but I feel like they are better than some of the other Pokemon games made. And unless you like really really old games, I wouldn't really recommend anyone to go for Red Blue and Yellow Pokémon games. Go for their remakes Fire Red and Leaf Green.

I will have to mention Sun and Moon's feature they did simply because I do like how they changed up the gym leader stuff... but beyond that the game feels pretty stale and too streamlined for my taste.

I moved on to Temtem and looked into Digimon games because I don't like how Nintendo is handling Pokemon. The least pokemon games I have played was Pokemon Shield. It was better than X and Y but eh..

The best Pokemon games in my opinion are the older ones.
Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Omega Ruby, Black, White, Pokemon Colosseum.
I hear that Black 2 and White 2 are also good but idk. Of the list above, Black and White are my least favorite but I feel like they are better than some of the other Pokemon games made. And unless you like really really old games, I wouldn't really recommend anyone to go for Red Blue and Yellow Pokémon games. Go for their remakes Fire Red and Leaf Green.

I will have to mention Sun and Moon's feature they did simply because I do like how they changed up the gym leader stuff... but beyond that the game feels pretty stale and too streamlined for my taste.
I gotta recommend Nexomon to you. Specifically Nexomon Extinction. I'm only 7 hours in but I'm loving it so far. It's Pokemon but with plot and funny characters.
I hopped onto that bandwagon as well due to how disappointing Pokemon has been as of late.
Glad to see you liked ORAS! They're technically newer games but I adored them. Imo they did so much right and made an actual remake, sprucing up what was already there. I loved that they gave Team Aqua and Magma members personalities and the post game was epic.

yeah I loved ORAS, that's how you do proper remakes! *throws tomatoes @ ILCA*

Also yeah now that I got to post-game BDSP... I really hate those running around Pokémon, always did since they were introduced and since you can't really clone master balls here..... **** it lol

"Starter Pokemon"

I never really liked the starters...Or should I say, I don't like just being handed one of three Pokemon and that's that, I'm expected to have that in my team. No, I want to CATCH my first Pokemon. Even if they just gave me some Pokeballs and sent me out into the tall grass to just throw a ball at the first Pokemon I come across for a guaranteed catch, at least I would have caught my first Pokemon rather than being gifted it. I'm going to go and catch the first Pokemon I see anyway and replace my starter with it, so give me the option to do that from the start.

I think it always crossed my mind since Red and Blue. We had to have Charmander, Bulbasaur or Squirtle, but Ash got a Pikachu. Then there's all these other trainers, like the youngsters with a Ratatta or bug catchers with a Beedrill. Where they GIVEN a Weedle? Probably not, they got given the sense of accomplishment by actually catching their Pokemon.

As for the starters themselves, I don't mind them as Pokemon, but I would be far less put off by them if you could just find them wandering about somewhere instead, or as well as them being given to you. It would make far more sense for me to be given a Charmander if it was because they're bloody everywhere as opposed to being literally the only one in existence. By having them be given to you and be the only one attainable in game without breeding it simultaneously makes them super rare in game but (statistically speaking) a third of people are likely to have one, thus not actually all that special. Nah, I'll have a Pidgey thanks, nobody has Pidgey, I'll be a special snowflake.

• There was nothing wrong with Jynx being black.
Okay, so she resembled African people. Why would that be a bad thing? I don’t see CocaCola CEOs complaining about how much Delibird resembles their commercial image of Santa Claus. Did Native Americans/Native Polynesians feel offended by Xatu? Were Goths bothered by the Gothita line? Were construction workers insulted by the Timburr line? Or were Czech/Jews annoyed by the Golett line?

Just so you know, Animal Crossing did the same face-washing with the gorilla Jane, look it up.

Wow, okay, ooo...I'll risk it.

First, Santa and Goths aren't comparable to Jynx and black people. You're comparing a corporate mascot (or I guess general public holiday mascot these days) and a fashion style to an entire ethnic group. Construction workers? Geeze...Goths can add some colour to their wardrobe or "grow out of it", construction workers can take a new career path, Coca Cola can rebrand Santa (as they did in the first place, hence why he is red). Rhianna can't stop being black.

Jynx was altered because of blackface, which is an old timely form of entertainment based entirely on mocking black people (see 'minstrel shows' or half of all old Disney and Looney Tunes cartoons...Or how the villains of Noddy were originally two Gollywogs). Hence why it is offensive and will probably be 'off limits' for a LONG time until we've basically forgotten why it was off limits in the first place.

THAT SAID (and why I said "I'll risk it"), I personally never got that feeling from Jynx that it was supposed to intentionally resemble black face. I thought it was just a design choice because "it looked cool" or whatever reason they chose that design. Hell, it might have been intentional, but growing up with Pokemon when it first came out I still remember being a kid not understanding why people were calling it a racist through my innocent child eyes not seeing race in Jynx, I just saw a Pokemon...And I kinda still do.

Personally, origin of it out of the way, well, look at my avatar, it isn't too far removed from blackface, I quite like the simplicity of it. Unfortunately though, it has heavy racist connotations regardless of if it's intentionally offensive or not, so thanks to our ancestors the design is off limits...Which really, I understand and agree with, at least until racist connotations are basically removed through the passage of time (probably not in my lifetime).

• Why Parasect doesn’t have pupils?! Paras certainly has! o_O

From what I remember reading (unsure if canon, but I recall the Pokedex entries back it up) it's because the mushrooms on Paras' back are parasitic, with Parasect the mushroom has 'taken over', thus why the eyes are blank. Paras at that point is basically a puppet for the mushroom.

• Mega-evolution. Yeah, throw me into the pyre if you want, but I hate the whole concept of it.
  1. First, you take already strong pkmn... and make them even stronger? What was even the point?
  2. Second, you also take pkmn that could certainly benefit from a second or third stage evolution... and instead take it away by making it temporary (like Houndoom, Banette or Audino).
  3. Third, half the designs look ridiculous to me. A few are utterly awful (mega-Manectric, really...).
  4. Fourth, it was never heard about before in any of the games nor even hinted at, either main or spin-offs, but apparently it’s been done since thousands of years ago? Yeah, please...
  5. Fifth, not all the pkmn can mega-evo. What do you mean, my beloved and long-time trusted friend Dewgong and I don’t have a strong enough bond?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall mega evolutions mostly being given to Pokemon that actually weren't that powerful and thus underused as a way to make them more 'competitive' beyond their third stage without adding a fourth evolution or changing their stats significantly (probably due to trading old Pokemon to newer games). Why they chose the Pokemon they did I don't know, probably popularity or something.

I agree that I don't see why they didn't just add a third evolution to Pokemon like Houndoom though. It's not like they haven't added new evolutions to old Pokemon before.

Grand Underground in BDSP. I really miss the catch the flag minigame and more flawless digging(using touh screen) in the originals. Plus the RNG is really bad compared to what you actually need. And the secret bases is so boring like okay you slap up a few statues cool story bro.

I’m afraid of Quilladin’s in-game sprite. It reminds me of Jack Nicholson in The Shining with its dead eyed blank stare and creepy smile. I keep picturing it watching me as I sleep while it fiddles around a knife and contemplating on whether to kill me or not.

Lickilicky was a huge mistake design wise and in terms of naming convention.

I actually liked how SwSh cut out some Pokémon and having no National Dex as there are far too many of them now that by the time you complete it for the current gen, the next one is announced.

I used to love Pokemon as a kid, but I feel like so many things they added are just not necessary and too much for the series. I should preface this by saying I haven't really played a Pokemon game since White 2/Black 2 which was the last of the major Pokemon games I completed.

I just really don't care for the whole Mega Evolutions, Gigantamax, Z moves, G moves, whatever. I'm just gonna say it, it's totally unnecessary for Pokemon. It sounds really cool and exciting on paper, but in practice, I'm not so sure. Again, I haven't played a lot of the newer ones so I can't say for sure how well it works, but it just feels sooo out of place to me. I really enjoyed gens 1 to 5, with 2 being my favourite, but my favourite thing about Pokemon was the simplicity of catching your favourite Pokemon, raising then battling another mon with a chance of defeating it, regardless of how strong or weak it is. Now it seems all anyone cares about is getting the strongest Pokemon in the highest tier, mega evolve use special move whatever, it just doesn't feel right to me.

The whole concept of starter Pokemon also kind of annoyed me with how the other two are usually impossible to get in game outside of trade, which they usually want something ridiculous for it. I don't mind picking one, but at least make the other two available in some way so people can eventually get them in game outside of trade. Maybe as a very rare chance encounter Pokemon in route whatever or catch a pretty rare Pokemon trade it to NPC, Youngster Bobby for it or something.

Evolutions for Pokemon without any. You know what I'm talking about. There's so many cool Pokemon that deserve more attention, but are just sitting in limbo totally forgotten about because they don't evolve or are just gimmicky and almost unusable. It was sort of funny at the time have a bunch of gimmicky Pokemon made essentially for a pun or joke, but I feel like they can do so much better and actually have more people consider using some of these mons if they either give them an evolution or fix up their move pools or stats. It's like it's deliberately making you waste time looking for the correct one that evolves.

Speaking of evolutions, certain gender mons not evolving. Again, I hate this. It's like why even bother catching a a male salandit or male combee as I think someone else pointed out in this thread, and making it like a 1/12 chance or something of catching a female one that evolves.

Last thing I want to bring up, is I absolutely hate how expensive a lot of the older games are now. Like, $150+ for Pokemon White 2/Black 2???

That's probably it for now XD. I do love the series, but really the whole Mega evolution thing completely turned me off from the series. I'll probably check out Violet/Scarlet when they come out and see if my opinion changes.

I used to love Pokemon as a kid, but I feel like so many things they added are just not necessary and too much for the series. I should preface this by saying I haven't really played a Pokemon game since White 2/Black 2 which was the last of the major Pokemon games I completed.

I just really don't care for the whole Mega Evolutions, Gigantamax, Z moves, G moves, whatever. I'm just gonna say it, it's totally unnecessary for Pokemon. It sounds really cool and exciting on paper, but in practice, I'm not so sure. Again, I haven't played a lot of the newer ones so I can't say for sure how well it works, but it just feels sooo out of place to me. I really enjoyed gens 1 to 5, with 2 being my favourite, but my favourite thing about Pokemon was the simplicity of catching your favourite Pokemon, raising then battling another mon with a chance of defeating it, regardless of how strong or weak it is. Now it seems all anyone cares about is getting the strongest Pokemon in the highest tier, mega evolve use special move whatever, it just doesn't feel right to me.

The whole concept of starter Pokemon also kind of annoyed me with how the other two are usually impossible to get in game outside of trade, which they usually want something ridiculous for it. I don't mind picking one, but at least make the other two available in some way so people can eventually get them in game outside of trade. Maybe as a very rare chance encounter Pokemon in route whatever or catch a pretty rare Pokemon trade it to NPC, Youngster Bobby for it or something.

Evolutions for Pokemon without any. You know what I'm talking about. There's so many cool Pokemon that deserve more attention, but are just sitting in limbo totally forgotten about because they don't evolve or are just gimmicky and almost unusable. It was sort of funny at the time have a bunch of gimmicky Pokemon made essentially for a pun or joke, but I feel like they can do so much better and actually have more people consider using some of these mons if they either give them an evolution or fix up their move pools or stats. It's like it's deliberately making you waste time looking for the correct one that evolves.

Speaking of evolutions, certain gender mons not evolving. Again, I hate this. It's like why even bother catching a a male salandit or male combee as I think someone else pointed out in this thread, and making it like a 1/12 chance or something of catching a female one that evolves.

Last thing I want to bring up, is I absolutely hate how expensive a lot of the older games are now. Like, $150+ for Pokemon White 2/Black 2???

That's probably it for now XD. I do love the series, but really the whole Mega evolution thing completely turned me off from the series. I'll probably check out Violet/Scarlet when they come out and see if my opinion changes.
Heartgold/Soulsilver is crazzzzzy expensive and has been for a while. Not sure why that game specifically. Did they not sell a lot of copies maybe? It sucks cause I've never played gen 2 and would like to but not for $200+ for a DS game. I can emulate but I like the idea of a physical copy.

Back