• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Pokémon What Starter Did You Pick in Each Region?

Holla

Salmon Run Survivalist
Yoshi's Islanders
Bells
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Turquoise Squid Easter Egg
Just curious what starter everyone picked in each region. If you picked multiple for one region just include either your original choice or favourite choice. (2022 update: I’ve reformatted this thread to list by region instead of gen as that makes more sense in the end so keep in mind that old unedited posts are listed by gen instead).

If you didn’t play a certain region (original or remake) feel free to skip it, but it’s up to you.

As for me:

Kanto: Charmander
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Torchic
Sinnoh: Chimchar
Unova: Snivy
Kalos: Fennekin
Alola: Popplio
Galar: Scorbunny
Hisui: Rowlet

I seem to have a fire type bias… Though I have picked both grass and water at least once haha.

Last edited:
Gen 5: Snivy
Gen 6: Fennekin

Unfortunately, those are the only mainline games I've played!

I feel like this is what I'd choose for the others though:
Gen 1: Bulbasaur
Gen 2: Chikorita or Cyndaquil
Gen 3: Treecko
Gen 4: Turtwig
Gen 7: Rowlet
Gen 8: Sobble

Wow... I just realized that's a lot of grass, I don't even care for Grass types that much tbh, I just pick by what final evolution's design I like best lol

I'm putting down my favourite starter of each gen and the ones I've started with in other games. Because of how easy it is to get starters post Gen 5, all I had to pick was my favourite starter and get the rest later via Wonder Trade, Safaris, etc.

Gen 1: Squirtle (also started with Bulbasaur and Charmander)
Gen 2: Totodile (also started with Cyndaquil)
Gen 3: Mudkip (also started with Treecko and Torchic)
Gen 4: Piplup (also started with Turtwig and Chimchar)
Gen 5: Snivy (also started with Oshawott)
Gen 6: Froakie (only)
Gen 7: Rowlet (only)
Gen 8: Scorbunny (only)

This was my original choice for every generation:
Gen 1: Squirtle
Gen 2: Totodile
Gen 3: Mudkip
Gen 4: Piplup
Gen 5: Oshawott
Gen 6: Froakie
Gen 7: Popplio

Always Choose The Water Starter™

i've only played three games, but:

alpha sapphire: torchic
sun/ultra sun: litten
shield: scorbunny

torchic was the only one i didn't know the full evolution line for when going into the game, but i still liked the way blaziken looked anyway. i don't think i've been deliberately choosing the fire starter each time, it just so happens that the fire starter (to me) always has the cutest look and the better looking final evolution.

1. Charmander
2. Totodile
3. Mudkip
4. Turtwig
5. Tepig
6. Fennekin

I haven't played 7 or 8.

I definitely gravitate towards the fire types, Totodile though is still one of my favorite starters.

1. Charmander
2. Totodile
3. Torchic (tied with Treecko for favorite)
4. Chimchar
5. Tepig
6. Fennekin
7. Litten

Didn't play the gen 8 games due to the major problems with it, but I was planning to start with Scorbunny that generation. The cycle would have continued haha.

I didn't play Gen 5 :( but here are the others! I'm counting my first starter pick ever (I've replayed Gens 1-3 several times)

Gen 3: Torchic
Gen 6: Chespin

I tend to choose water types.

I didn’t know how to save Pokémon games as a kid, so I often restarted with new starters. Regardless here’s the first starters I picked for each generation.

Gen 2: Tododile (my first starter ever)
Gen 4: Pipup
Gen 8: Scorbunny

Gen 1: Charmander
Gen 2: Cyndaquil
Gen 4: Chimchar and Piplup

I haven’t played any of these generations but I would most likely gone with the following:

Gen 5: Tepig or Oshawott
Gen 7: Litten

Gen 8: Didn't play

I clearly really like the water and fire types, hehe.

Gen 2: Totodile 💙
Gen 4: Chimchar

Gen 1: uhhh I haven’t actually played RBG or FRLG, but in XY and Go, I usually switch it up every time.
Gen 2: Chikorita
Gen 3: Torchic (my first!)
Gen 8: Grookey

So, yeah, I don’t really stick to any one type!

Gen 3: Treecko
Gen 5: Tepig

I started Pokemon with Diamond, so gens 1-3 are just based on the remakes and virtual console games I've played of them. Usually I go for the fire starter, but there are a few exceptions. :)

the water one 👀 though really i've only played gen 4,6,7, and 8

I'll admit, some were close calls!

Gen 5: Tepig
Gen 8: Grookey

I just pick the cutest looking one...Which serves me well as I tend to catch the first Pokemon I come across and stick my starter in the PC to rot instead.

Pidgey is the best starter Pokemon.

My original choices in each gen were:

Gen 5: Oshawott (Never evolved into Samurott though bc I liked the pure otter style better than the weird narwhal/otter hybrid)

If I had Gen 8 I'd have picked Grookey but as of now I've apparently never gone for a grass type on a blind, first-time playthrough.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur
Gen 4: Turtwig

gen 1: squirtle
gen 2: totodile
gen 3: treecko
gen 5 (the best gen): snivy
gen 6: froakie
gen 7: litten

Last edited:
Outside of first playthroughs of a game, I don't really care about using the actual starters you can get from the professor. I've done numerous playthroughs of games and have at some point in time used every starter on some team (usually with egg moves, IVs, and/or hidden abilities and such though), so I'll just list my favorite starters in general.

Generation 1: Squirtle (Blastoise is my favorite fully evolved starter across all of the generations)
Generation 2: Totodile
Generation 3: Torchic
Generation 4: Turtwig (all three are great to use though)
Generation 5: Snivy
Generation 6: Fennekin (though Froakie's way better with the Protean hidden ability and I like Chesnaught's Bulletproof hidden ability too)
Generation 7: Rowlet (my favorite first form starter)
Generation 8: Grookey

If listing those I did my first playthroughs with, the list looks like this: Gen 1 - Bulbasaur, Gen 2 - Totodile, Gen 3 - Mudkip, Gen 4 - Piplup, Gen 5 - Oshawott, Gen 6 - Froakie, Gen 7 - Rowlet, Gen 8 - Scorbunny

Back