• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

What is the meaning behind your island name?

My new island's name is Blob Bay. It's inspired by the movie "Morons from Outer Space", the home planet where 4 of the main characters are coming from is called Blob. I added the Bay since NH has the whole island theme and I thought it sounds better that way.

My island's name is Persica. I got peaches as native fruit and they are called "prunus persica" in latin. The native fruit is one of the first things you see when you arrive for the first time at your island, so I think it's a fitting name! :)

I called my island A'o Ia ... It's Hawaiian and means something along the lines of "There you go now!" or "There you have it!". It's meant as encouragement after you've achieved something ...

Island naming is always the hardest part for me, especially since you can't change it later. I went with Usagi cause it's Japanese for bunny and I wanted an all rabbit island. Usagi is also the main character in sailor moon so it fit well for me.

Mine is Woodlårk, it was a fictional town I made up a few years back. I absolutely love the sound of the name, but to make it more original, I added a little Danish ‘å’. A half-tribute to one of my friends. It also works well as a lark is a bird and the majority of my island are birds haha.

LaresYara is my Island and is named after my grandpa RIP. I had another Island set up and after he passed away I deleted that one and create the new one with that name. Lares is the city were he was from, and Yara like a nick name. I love it!!!

My island name is Solfège.

In NL I wanted a music-based town name, and I ended up going with Poco (as in, poco a poco, little by little). It fit so well in that game that I considered just reusing it.

However, I wanted something that fit more thematically with this new game but still had a musical name. Looking at the nature of crafting and terraforming, basically building your town, I decided to go with the building blocks of western music, Solfège or Solfeggio, but I liked the first one better.

(Not being condescending but I'm going to explain for anyone that might not know) when you hear the short syllables "do, re, mi," etc, that is a Solfège system.

Yarn Isle is a pun on the yarn aisle like in a craft store. I wanted a pun for my island name and crochet is one of my hobbies

Yulitreia and Davalthea are named after places/cities from my story.

My island is named Poveglia, which is the name of an actual island in the Venetian Lagoon of Italy. The actual island of Poveglia was used as a quarantine station for people suffering from the bubonic plague, then later housed an asylum and a nursing home, before being abandoned. It is supposedly haunted, and I first heard of it like two decades ago due to that reason (it was featured on a tv show).

I chose the name for a few reasons. One reason is that when New Horizons came out, we were first being flung into the COVID-19 being a global pandemic, so pandemics and quarantine were on the mind. Another reason is that I've always been interested in horror, spooky stories, ghosts and paranormal stuff (though I don't really believe in ghosts or whatnot, it's always just been kinda fun to like read or hear people's stories) so I kinda wanted to give the island a "spooky" name, like how my main New Leaf town is called Haunton. Additionally, since the actual Poveglia has long been abandoned, it somewhat fit the "deserted island" theme of the game. The big reason, though, is that no other names were coming to mind and, for the previously stated reasons, when Poveglia came to mind I just kind of went with it.

If there were an option to change the name, I probably would since nowadays I feel like I would prefer a wholly original name. I've seen other Poveglias and, while that's fine and understandable since it's a known place, it also just sort of feels awkward. There's also the possibility that eventually the actual Poveglia will lose its appeal as a creepy, supposedly haunted location because there have been a few plans over the years to develop the island, though none have thus far been successful. All that said, since there is no such option to change the name and there likely never will be, and also because I've made far too much progress in the game to ever want to restart or anything of the sort, I am content with what I've got. It still has a nice ring to it and is fun to say, at least.

Last edited:
ExIsle:
Grew up in a town called Exeter + shortened form of island

It being a homonym for exile also played in to the decision.

San Diego, because I was raised there since I was almost two years old.
My daughters island is called wawanaqua (spelling may be butchered)

Dorkville. I played wild world and with a girl I knew in school. We never hung out except for at school because we really only had animal crossing in common but we got along well enough with having a lot of the same classes. I graduated high school and started college around the time new leaf came out. We only talked and played animal crossing new leaf together for 2 years. We both got bored and havent seen or spoken since. I am a dork. Been called many names but weird and dork are my favorites. She was a nerd and a dork. In class one day we had talked about belonging to a town of dorks. I was the sheriff and she was the major of dorkville. So I play new horizons now and I thought about how she was the only person I used to play with that I actually knew. everyone else are strangers iv meet on here. I thought dorkville was a great name.

The name of my island is Arkadia. It has a double meaning: 1. It is a beautiful region in Greece (my town is based on ancient Greece/the sanctuary of the goddess Despoina in Arkadia) and 2. After/during antiquity the word (Arcadia) became synonymous to harmony with nature/the wilderness... So yeah, I am still very happy with the name almost a year later:)

The meaning behind my island name is pretty obvious but I'll explain as simply as I can for those unfamiliar with Sailor Moon.

Sailor Moon is a Japanese anime/manga that was big in the 90's (it's still pretty big now with the new Crystal remake anime/movies).

It's about a 14 year old Japanese middle school girl named Usagi. She has special powers that she can use to turn into a superhero named Sailor Moon. Upon transforming she says the phrase "Moon Prism Power Make Up!" So that's where I got the name Moon Prism from for my island as it is indeed Sailor Moon themed. My characters are also named after characters from the series. :)

Back