• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

What is the meaning behind your island name?

My island name came from randomly going on Google Maps and looking at town names in Canada. I came across Aspotogan in Nova Scotia and really liked it so I decided to go with that.

My last town in NL was named after a fruit (Oranje), so I wanted to continue the tradition in the next game. I'm originally from California, where a lot of towns have San in front of the name (meaning Saint), so I chose that as the start of the name. Then I chose Goiaba, the Portuguese word for Guava. Combined it becomes San Goiaba (Saint Guava)! :)

Mine is Seafield. People tend to be like “wha? Sea-field???” Meant to be a slice of land in the middle of the sea, but the real reason why I chose it was because one of my towns from New Leaf (my most successful one) also shared the same name, so I wanted to give it a second chance! No regrets so far :)

Everyone has elaborate reasons for their town/island names, I just got mine from a random generator and it stuck lol

Oldenbel: We wanted a name that gave the feeling of a New England or Maritime town that was built on the foundation of a castle and its garden-esque town.

Old=its age
Den=a home to develop
Bell=wealth of opportunities

Its also the one that made the most sense from the generator we were using. It was either that or a combination of out New Leaf town names that would've been Maplestar.

New Island. Its a new game, a new island, a new experience. Plus my town was called New Leaf in NL because I couldn't think of anything at the time, so keeping the tradition alive with "New".

I wanted something antique-ish, so taking a glance at my Cuphead merch really paid off.

Inkwell is a reference to the Inkwell Isles from one of my favorite games in recent years: Cuphead.

Surprisingly, I haven’t run into another island with the same name this whole time.

I named my island Floaroma after the town of the same name in Sinnoh from Pokemon DPPT. my new leaf town was also covered in flowers and since I knew my new horizons town would be the same way I figured Floaroma would be a fitting name :)

I... honestly don’t know. I think I might have pulled up one of those random generators and found Guava Bay. At least it’s better then Uly Park, my failed Swedish themed New Leaf town 🤦

Nothing. Its an island called Salty Bay lol there isnt much to it :)
I wanted it simple so i could do anything with my island whenever without feeling like I was limited.

It's derivative from my NL town: HeeHee. A cute laugh but you don't know if it's laughing at you or with you.

So, it's TeeheeTiki. It's the same idea, it sounds good but is it really? I guess you need to schedule a tour to find out. 😏

Mine is Startide. Really, no hidden meaning. I just thought it sounded pretty, and I love adding Star- before my towns now.

I had a very nice town name in New Leaf since 2013, which I planned to use in New Horizons.... Corona :cry: Those plans were obviously scrapped and I had changed my town name on New Leaf, too, lol

I named Serenity after the starship from the TV show Firefly (which is like my absolutely fave)!
But it also works out because it's like chill and seems like a really relaxing and island type place where you'd go to get away? So it was kind of a double whammy.
I know for a fact that it's not unique, as I have definitely seen other islands named Serenity! I actually think it's pretty cool when I see them though, like "ISLAND TWINS". I should actually try and hunt down some Serenity DAs...
I gotta wonder if other people named their Serenity's after the starship or just after the peaceful meaning of the word.

My island name is Melancolia. It’s supposed to be Melancholy in Portuguese. I just like how it’s worded and sounds better. I knew I wanted my island to start with a letter -M end with a letter -a. All my character names start with M.

I wanted to have a sort of gloomy feel to the name since that’s how my island is themed. Though I’m struggling a bit right now with decoration. Still. I don’t regret the name.

Mine is named Opu after a village in Baten Kaitos.

8ED3FCA8-C1B5-4E42-8487-D7BAAA6546C9.jpeg

Cedar Cove. I mean, there's not much meaning behind it. I just knew I wanted my island to be named better than the town I had on NL. I just named it Nintendo because I couldn't think of anything at the time.

Incidentally. I had a lot of people ask me through CT and other places if my town was officially Nintendo lol.

My first attempt at an island was called Overthere, after the location in Super Paper Mario

2nd and 3rd were called Ginkgo because, well, I like ginkgo trees

And the newest island is called Serenaden, which is the German word for serenades. If it wasn't for the character limit it would've been Schaumserenaden, the German name for the attack 'Sparkling Aria' in the Pokémon games, because I had planned to flood my entire island and have it primarily be made of water. Not sure if I can follow through with that because there's not enough space, but the name without the 'Schaum'-prefix doesn't make any allusions to water anyway, so it's fine.

Coral Cay cause it’s the beach and my island is tropical themed

my next island will be Peach Springs

My first attempt at an island was called Overthere, after the location in Super Paper Mario

2nd and 3rd were called Ginkgo because, well, I like ginkgo trees

And the newest island is called Serenaden, which is the German word for serenades. If it wasn't for the character limit it would've been Schaumserenaden, the German name for the attack 'Sparkling Aria' in the Pokémon games, because I had planned to flood my entire island and have it primarily be made of water. Not sure if I can follow through with that because there's not enough space, but the name without the 'Schaum'-prefix doesn't make any allusions to water anyway, so it's fine.
Well maybe you could have some kind of sign and customize it to have a Qr pattern of the islands' full name. Put it in front of the airport and it'd be like 'Welcome to _____' Just a thought. It might not work. I'm just thinking of those road signs that state you're crossing over to another state.

My native fruit is oranges so I was trying to come up with something that reflected that and the game itself is New Horizons with made me think of the sky hence Citrus Sky!

Back