• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What games were you not sure of at first but ended up enjoying?

Spider-man for the ps4... Haven't been a big marvel fan, but got it when it was $20 after hearing it was really good, and there was a little nastolgia with Spider-man from growing up.

That game's story was so good, combqt wasn't bad, and had many side missions and activities to do.

Fire emblem tbh. I'm not a big fan of strategy games, but the fact that the gameplay was so immersive completely distracted me from this fact.

Most of the point-and-click games I got from the Steam store were unvetted (aka nobody around me had heard of or played them) and I've enjoyed all of them. I'm really glad I took the dive to get them because now I have a favorite point-and-click series (Rusty Lake) and a ton of good memories.

RDR2 for me. I got it with my PS4 and decided to try it out - the controls were initially kinda sluggish for me, but I was hooked after the world opened up. This newfound freedom felt so invigorating after spending the first chapter doing tutorial missions in the mountains.

splatoon for me. when i first got into it the control learning curve was really throwing me for a loop. ended up just sticking it out and it's now one of my top game franchises of all time :)

It was Watch Dogs. Heard a lot of people at the time when it came out in 2014 saying how its downgraded and how its not any better than GTA 5, but for me I was cautious on buying it so I waited a while and got my hands on it for a good price and I ended up liking it. The idea of hacking everything and causing destruction was just so awesome at the time.

Rune Factory 4 (the 3DS verison), I got it years back for my birthday and fell in love with it. I highly recommend it if you're into harvest moon or games like it.

Scribblenauts Unlimited on Wii U! I had never heard of it and it did not look NOT good if that makes since, my mother bought it for my birthday and I ended up LOVING IT SO MUCH.

Final Fantasy 14. In fact, the first couple times I tried it, I couldn't really get into it. Now, I love the game with all my heart

League of Legends
3 years ago my brother started bugging me to play with him in LL and so l did and l had fun. But l still hate the horrible behaviors people have in that game, online can be full of idiots in every match.

Hollow Knight. Turned out to be an excellent Metroidvania.

I wasn't sure about minesweeper at first but then my uncle taught me the basics and now I'm just a pro at it

this happened to me with several games, but one was the Witcher 3 wild hunt and to this day, it's my most favorite game because after giving it a go a second time- everything about it from start to finish and dlc included is ...*chefs kiss ♡

The most recent games to fall under that category would be the Muv-Luv trilogy. At first glance it looked like a generic romance visual novel series with clichéd character archetypes. The thing is I heard so many claim it’s one of, if not the best visual novel series of all time. The first game was a slog. It dragged on for far too long and went overboard with early 2000s anime cliches. Then the second game happened. All of a sudden the game switches to a mecha sci-fi story. The slice of life elements were still there, but now it had a fully fleshed out alternate universe Earth. The pacing was still abysmal. I ultimately waded through another 15 hour visual novel for the occasional moments of excellent world building. In the third game it becomes a full blown drama. There’s intense political intrigue and frequent action. Major plot twists happen on an hourly basis. I finally got paid off for what was easily the longest build-up I’ve ever seen in a piece of fiction. It required more “Takeru-Chan no baka” moments than I’d like to admit, but it was well worth the wait.

Animal Crossing. I originally bought it on a massive markdown from GameStop, along with several other dirt-cheap GameCube games since at the time GameStop was trying to get rid of all of their GameCube inventory. I really didn't even give the game a second look when I first got it, but became intrigued when I saw my sister trying it out. I bought my own GameCube memory card, started my own file, and the rest is history. I was instantly addicted to the game, and within a week I had Wild World, my sister had City Folk, and I had a preorder for New Leaf put in place. Then, once my birthday rolled around I used my birthday money to buy myself a Wii specifically for City Folk. All of those games ended up taking up a ridiculous amount of my time, but I enjoyed every second of it.

Stardew Valley was another one. I had never even heard of the game until right before it released, and since I saw so many people talking about it everywhere I decided to grab it as I had the money already available in my Steam wallet. Well, I bought it and booted it up with little idea of what to expect... and proceeded to lose the entire next two weeks with it, and a significant amount of time afterward. I'll admit that I haven't played it too much since then, but each time I do decide to start it up I end up getting hooked again and lose even more time to it! Which reminds me, it's about time for me to start playing it again...

Dead by Daylight! I had seen a bunch of people playing it on Twitch and in Lets Plays but I thought nah, that's not the kind of game for me. Then one of my friends at work almost guilted me into buying is and as it was on sale at the time I thought eh what the heck! Now its one of my most played games of all time 😭

Spiritfarer! I saw the reviews and they were very positive, but I wasn't a huge fan of micromanagement games so I didn't think much of it. Bought it because it was highly recommended and on sale at the time, and I had some extra money so I thought, why not? Ended up really loving the story despite needing to go back and forth with materials, LOL. The art style and story makes micromanaging a little more bearable, and I ended up almost crying with some characters.

Another one is Cookie Run: Ovenbreak! I saw the gameplay and thought platformers were boring, so it took me months before thinking about the game again. I saw some neat characters and eventually thought to give it a spin. Ended up becoming really addicting for me; it gets tiring the longer I play per sitting, but it's a really fun game to play in short bursts while I'm in line or waiting for something. I love playing as my favorite cookies (the Chess Choco Cookie twins), I can never seem to get tired of how cute they are and how they're holding hands while running.

Fire Emblem! I remember researching what 3DS games I could try out back in the day, and people kept mentioning Fire Emblem. I knew nothing about it (other than Marth from Smash Bros) and wasn't entirely sure if I'd like it, but decided to pick up Awakening after seeing so many good reviews and hearing that you didn't have to play any other Fire Emblem game to be able to play it. And I really liked it! I've played a few other Fire Emblem games since and I've enjoyed those as well.

ai: the somnium files. i paid absolutely 0 attention to it during the prerelease era and was wary of it because of how badly the last game by the same director flopped, but i caved and watched a LP of it after it came out and now it's currently in my top 10 games of all time :')

Back