• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What games were you not sure of at first but ended up enjoying?

rollerC

K.K. Remixer
Bells
Switch
2196-5910-2518
Orange (Fruit)
Coco
Celeste was that game for me. I was tight on money and not really looking for a platformer but after hearing so many people recommend it, I decided I had to at least check it out.

I wasn't sold on it for the first 15 minutes, but boy is it one of the best and most deep games I've played in a long time.

Last edited:
It's kind of specific, but I would have to say the recent Link to the Past randomizer trend. At first, I was a bit iffy since I wasn't sure how it was going to work - like, you need SO many items to beat the game and there are SO many chests in Ganon's tower which is locked behind the crystals. But the community's done a good job of caring for the randomizer so that it doesn't spit out any unbeatable seeds. Now I'm addicted to them bahaha

Ooh this is an interesting question!

This is kind of a tough one for me because I usually try to read reviews on a game before I buy it (while avoiding spoilers), or if it's part of a series I know I love, I'll just buy it. I guess for me it would be Twilight Princess. I grew up watching family members play LoZ games but never played one myself, and when I got TP for Christmas one year I thought I'd be awful at it and it'd be too hard for me lmao.

For me, it was Splatoon. When they first announced it and showed the streams of people playing, I thought it looked interesting...but I quickly lost interest in watching other people play. I thought I'd like playing the game myself, but I wasn't sure how much. Basically I was desperate for some good online games on Wii U back then, so I gave it a chance. I ended up addicted to it, and I enjoyed it far more than I ever imagined I would.

New Leaf! I bought it because of its high praise, and at first, I didn't like it. But once I looked into the franchise and everything about New Leaf, I ended up loving it, and that holds true to this day!

Pikmin 2. I was a kid and thought the box art looked like a "baby game". Then for some reason I played it and it was amazing.

Breath of the wild, definitely. At first, I wasn't sure, especially since someone told me the learning curve was high. I ended up really enjoying it, finishing the game and getting all the armor. Currently working on getting all the shrines and korok seeds.

When I first played the VR game Rec Room, I initially looked at its somewhat Roblox-esque art style and was a little put off, but it was free so I decided to try it out anyway.

... Literally the best VR game I've ever played.

Ah, I thought of another one--Super Mario Odyssey. I had told my friend that I hoped the humans in New Donk City didn't look like Sonic '06 characters, and when he told me that they did, I was really worried.

But I'm really glad I played Super Mario Odyssey, and now I'm 2 moons away from fully completing the game!

Cooking Mama. No, seriously. Back then when I was younger, I got this game along with some others for the DS. At first I wasn't really convinced about it, even thought that it would be a dumb game. However, whenever I took a break from another game, I played Cooking Mama, as I got curious and wanted to know more about the gameplay in general and give it a fair chance before. After a while, I start to like it more and more, at the end, it was pretty funny and enjoyable to play, like a good game for me when I just wanted to chill.

I also had doubts about WarioWare at the beginning, for some reasons, I thought back then that those games would be too complicated for me, so I wasn't really interested in them. When I then got Touched! for the DS as a gift, I just started to play it, as I got (just like with Cooking Mama) curious and wanted to see if I was right about my doubts. Turns out I was wrong of course, as I started to actually enjoy playing those minigames, became even a bit addicted to them at some point, lol. Touched! is now one of my favorite WW titles, followed by to Smooth Moves for the Wii.

Last edited:
Doki Doki Literature Club

Oh my god was that worth every moment of my time. I almost gave up on it, too. So glad I didn't.

I recommend this game to literally everyone. It's free on steam!!

this might be funny but it's Hannah Montana for ps2 LOL
at first I was like uh why would I get that ??? then my sister really wanted it so we got it & when we got home to play, it was litty af LOOL ( dont judge me for liking Disney/ kids songs)

second it would be Metal gear Rising, yoo I'm so glad I copped this game, i thought it would be hard at first but then I really really enjoyed it, definitely would recommend lmao

lastly, it's Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes, I actually bought this game then I was like nah it doesn't look too promising so I returned it to get metal gear solid ( which was ****ty btw LOL cause I didn't know how to play anyway) then I saw like a glimpse of it on YouTube or something & it looked good so I got back the second day & got it LOL
( sorry for the long post!)

Last edited:
this might be funny but it's Hannah Montana for ps2 LOL
at first I was like uh why would I get that ??? then my sister really wanted it so we got it & when we got home to play, it was litty af LOOL ( dont judge me for liking Disney/ kids songs)

second it would be Metal gear Rising, yoo I'm so glad I copped this game, i thought it would be hard at first but then I really really enjoyed it, definitely would recommend lmao

lastly, it's Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes, I actually bought this game then I was like nah it doesn't look too promising so I returned it to get metal gear solid ( which was shxtty btw LOL cause I didn't know how to play anyway) then I saw like a glimpse of it on YouTube or something & it looked good so I got back the second day & got it LOL
( sorry for the long post!)

I used to have a DS Hannah Montana game that I was obsessed with, lmao.

Mario+Rabbids. I mean, based from reviews, obviously it's a pretty good game but I'm not a fan of strategy-rpgs. I bought the game just because it's Mario (and for collection purposes) but I wasn't really keen on playing it but there was a time I got tired playing Splatoon and I was looking for something new to play then I got curious. I ended up being blown away by the gameplay, music and everything lol. It became one of my favorite Switch titles and I even like it better (slightly better) than Super Mario Odyssey.

i had a little bit of a hard time getting into skyrim bc i was so into breath of the wild at the time and i kind of wanted it to be like that, but now i can't stop playing honestly it's so fun

New Leaf, actually. I had never played an Animal Crossing game and the concept didn't seem that interesting at first. I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would! :p

Dark Souls 1 :eek:

I bought this game on release because it was popular but I ended up quitting pretty early on because it was too hard. :[

I played it again recently and now it's one of my favorite games, excited to play it again on the switch!

AC:WW.

I hated it at first, so I turned it off without saving after moving in.

Then I loaded it, and got Resetti.
I had no idea WTH was going on, but I hurled my DS at a wall.

It didn't break. o_O

I then gave it another shot after googling it, and finding out it had fishing in it.

Been an AC fan ever since. (2005)

ACNL. My sister made me play as a secondary character in her town, and I thought it was boring. I didn't really understand what to do and was confused. She then had an extra game and I eventually played it again as a mayor, I slowly fell in love! I still am a big fan of the AC series after 3 years of playing.

Back