• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What do you think of NH's take on the personalities so far?

I really love how my lazy villagers talk about the bugs in their house as if they're keeping them as pets.
I gave Tucker a peach the other day and said he might even share it with the bugs. it made me smile :)

i havent managed to see all the personalities yet, but so far uchi and normal are my favorites. while personalities like jock and peppy kind of do have a specific niche, i feel like they went too much into it??? like i wish jock characters were more like a frat boy who sometimes dabbles in sports and working out, instead of just going all in on muscles. i feel like that way it would have some breathing room, because the way they are now i definitely dont want more than one on my island. peppy is similar to this too; how can there be two popstars on an island??

lazy is pretty decent imo. they lean more towards uchi & normals in terms of how severe their personalities are, but i dont rly want a lot of villagers talking about the bugs in their flooring. smug is... ive never liked smug lol and i feel like i like them even less in this game but i consider that to be an improvement. i just got a snooty today and they seem to be a bit lowkey, but ive yet to seem them fully. i know nothing about cranky as i dont have one at the moment.
I feel the same about jocks, they talk about exercise so much and I get bored and annoyed very fast.

imo the lazy villagers are hysterical now, i always liked them but the whole bugs thing is too much 😂 NH is really endearing me to the jocks, too! i saw an interaction the other day where sylvia went to poncho for advice on how to garden all day without getting sore and he got super excited to help her out and recommend exercises... it was cute

I think they have done a great job with personalities in New Horizons. The villagers feel more unique and "alive" (if that makes sense??). And a lot of the dialogue has made me love villagers I was previous indifferent towards/didn't like. My only "complaint" is that having 1 peppy villager is enough for me... I have 2 peppy villagers and their dialogue has overlapped too much. It's pretty good overall though

Well Jock still talks about Working Out and Stuff, but it’s not as bad as in the older Games.

Cranky is ruined. They are way to nice to be a Cranky. Pretty much the Male Version of Female Normals for me. I miss GameCube Animal Crossing already. Why couldn’t they keep the sass and salt?
Seriously?

I thought they were fixing crankies to be more like their WW selves. :(

So I'll have another labotomized Wolfgang when I start playing. :(

i forgot to mention this in my original reply, but does anyone's normal villagers sing a lot??? both of mine sing literally all the time, which i think is strange because the peppy villagers should be the ones doing that.

i forgot to mention this in my original reply, but does anyone's normal villagers sing a lot??? both of mine sing literally all the time, which i think is strange because the peppy villagers should be the ones doing that.
ive noticed this too.. marina sings what feels like constantly. i've noticed olivia sings a lot as well though and she's snooty so idk what it is

admittedly i haven't talked to my villagers much because i've been prioritizing farming on islands and improving my town, but so far i've really loved the peppy and lazy villagers. from what i've seen the smug villagers are entertaining as well. the dialogue as a whole has been a lot more entertaining than new leaf.

i don't have any cranky or snooty villagers yet but i'm sad to hear they've toned them down from the old games :( i really liked having to work for their friendship, especially since after becoming friends they definitely had the best dialogue. nintendo has been good about patching glitches but i feel like that's something that won't get changed.

all of mine sing - uchi, jock, peppy, smug, doesn't matter. i actually catch the uchi and jock doing it most often 🤔

no problem with them crancky are always my favorites followed by normal that now are even more adorable and uchi (uchi at this point can be named tomboy ^^) I haven't meet snooty animals sadly
well I can't stand smug but these are just my tastes never liked them too much

For some reason none of my male villagers sing
I would love to see Dobie XD
Crancky seems to mature to do that

Last edited:
Well, they have personalities again!!

I remember spending hours just chatting with my villagers in WW. It was my favorite thing to do. But then NL came along and I just... I didn't enjoy it anymore, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Chatting with them felt more like a chore. I did have some I enjoyed, like Pate and Shep, but overall the experience was so incredibly bland by comparison.

NH is much more true to the WW interactions, while still keeping things updated and fresh. It's worlds above NL's interaction and I'm absolutely loving it. It gave me that sense of wonder and curiousity back that I never truly got from NL, as much of a good game as it is, but it lost a lot of it's original magic along the way.

Oh, and can we PLEASE talk about how Lazy villagers are obsessed with bugs now?? I'm living for it. My heart can't handle it. It's too goddamn cute.

i've noticed the approach they've done with this game is make them say more outlandish things, which is a better approach at making them fun to talk to then being mean to you imo

I've played some of population growing (only for about a month) but they definitely are meaner in that one! which is fun in its own way but calling me like the mental runt of the litter makes me kinda uncomfortable lol

now the approach seems to be Say outlandish stuff, like Lazy villagers being able to talk to bugs now and one dialogue i've seen a Peppy villager say in which they've stayed up for 3 days straight hyped off caffeine

overall I think they are way better than in NL for sure and I've laughed at what they say
I think my favorites are Uchi and Lazy
i do agree they talk abt stuff im doing and current events a little too often, like i wanna learn about you! not what I've been doing!

I think the smug and snooty villagers are greatly improved. The smug ones now seem much more like slightly uncool dads, which makes me laugh. And the snooty ones are actually snooty again!

I also think the peppy villagers are really good. They make me laugh a lot more than they did in NL. They might be my favorite personality type, now.

The jocks are also good, but then again, I've always loved them. Teddy's line about another villager being cute but him being "cuteous maximus" made me laugh way too hard. The muscle puns are amazing!

I think the only personality types to get worse are the normals and uchis. Maybe it's just my particular uchi, but Diva is pretty snotty and rude, even though we're good friends. She doesn't seem sisterly at all. She seems much more like a snooty type, to me.

The normals seem a bit more boring to me than in NL. Their lines are pretty short and they don't seem to really hold long conversations. They're sweet, as always, but seem less warm than in NL, when they were my favorite personality type. I don't know - maybe it's just that the other personalities are stronger now, so they seem even less impactful in comparison.

Honestly, I can't really comment because most of my villagers never ping me to talk or interact much anymore. Only 2 of my 6 villagers ever seem to have 'conversations' with me anymore and the others mainly ignore me or say one line if I try to talk to them. It almost feels like I don't have any villagers at all.

From what I can see, the villagers are going back to being meaner again. Of course, they will never be as mean as they were in the gamecube / ww versions, which upsets me. But they're not as nice and sugar-coated as they made them in new leaf. Man how much is it to ask for my snooty and cranky villagers to tell me I look ugly and that they hate me :mad:( its so funny

Honestly, I can't really comment because most of my villagers never ping me to talk or interact much anymore. Only 2 of my 6 villagers ever seem to have 'conversations' with me anymore and the others mainly ignore me or say one line if I try to talk to them. It almost feels like I don't have any villagers at all.

u actually have to make an effort to talk to them in this game. ive been sending them letters every day (tho ive slacked a bit) and try to talk to them once in the morning, afternoon, and evening (and also whenever i enter their house). ive had villagers come up and gift me something randomly multiple times per day, and have observed many conversations between villagers. it may take a bit for them to warm up to u, but they will u just have to interact with them.

Oh my god, YES. Marina will not. stop. singing! Once she sang in the plaza for three hours straight. I was so relived when I walked by and she finally stopped and sat down to rest. Then she literally got right back up within two minutes and started singing again!

She even blocked my airport one time by standing in front of the door and singing non-stop. I finally had to push her out of the way.

But I have Peaches, another normal villager, who has literally never sung once. Maybe certain species sing, while others don't?

Im dissappointed that jocks are just as annoying as they always were. I LOVE lazy and cranky villagers is NH. I always liked them but their diologue is extra charming in NH, especially lazy. I still dislike peppy villagers. I dont have a snooty one, but i realized something about smug villagers. I never used to like them very much, but I love Pietro and didnt even realize he was smug. Marshal moved in and im trying to like him more, but his personality was annoying me and i didnt even realize it was the same as pietros? Guess that says more about me than the game lol.

I think the dialogue is pretty great. I’m enjoying talking to villagers. I haven’t had a chance to talk to snooty or cranky villagers so I don’t really know much about them though. I do think they should have their name changed if Uchi ended up being renamed to “Sisterly”.

Back