• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What did you do with your VHS tapes?

My parents had to clean out their basement after a flood and luckily the VHS tapes were in a plastic container so they survived. I donated them cause there was just too much stuff to keep. I kept my beanie babies though.

I never owned any VHS tapes. My parents did but now they don't have them.

We threw them out. I sort wish we didn’t and that I still had a VCR as some tapes had movies and shows that I have never seen released on DVD or streaming or are episodes of shows that are hard to find any recordings of on YouTube.

I'm not sure what my parents did with them. I think they might have a few family VHS tapes left but thats it. I kinda hope VHS makes a comeback somehow 😝

Lol ive started collecting VHS tapes. My boyfriend gave me his grandparents old VHS/dvd player one christmas and you know what? Some movies are better on VHS. The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles looks way batter slightly scratchy, got some old Anime tapes and even ebayed a REALLY obscure trans romantic comedy called "Different for Girls". The tapes arent exactly space friendly but the ritual of rewinding them is kinda nice too. IDK i wouldnt recommend you get a vhs player unless you are a huge movie nerd, but there are definitely people in the market for this stuff

I still have a good 15 VHS tapes in my room that I have refused to give away lol. My plan is to never get rid of them/sell them because I do still have a working VCR, it does occasionally eat tapes. (AKA the tape gets caught in the mechanism and pulls it out, forever ruining the VHS tape and allowing me to never watch the Aristocats again but that's for my therapist.
I would say for anybody that still has them, it is up to you, they will never be like they were, not nearly as big and amazing and new, but you can still enjoy them if they play, and just simply look at that while it collects dust. I have a collection of just kids movies INCLUDING The Spongebob Christmas Special. and the blue VHS tape of Monster's Inc

We gave the first batch away to cousins way, way after VHS was phased out for DVDs. So I'm guessing those families tossed them instead of buying a video player.

The second batch we tossed.

We didn't bother to digitize any of the tapes minus the ones that were our family camcorder vids. I had a lot of really fun Korean Children's Educational TV shows on VHS and now those shows are lost to me since it's so hard to find them here in the States and almost impossible to access unless some library in Korea happens to have those VHSs.

Both times the vids were displaced against my wishes :( so many great memories and shows that I can't watch again now.

My mom sold most of them at yard sales over the years, I think she still has a couple for nostalgia's sake, but nothing like the collection we once had.

I think we must've chucked then out a long time ago. We didn't have any officially brought movies or shows, we just had a whole bunch of blank VHS's that we used to record over. I used to record all my favourite TV shows on them.

I think they were either sold or donated, but my mom tends to not get rid of much in the house so maybe not.

Uhh, I think I may have some scattered ones about. I think my parents still have a VHS player lol. I do need to go and sell/donate whatever VHS I own though, I don't see myself ever watching one again. The Disney ones I know I let my cousin take for his daughter to watch.

i had a bunch of VHS tapes and DVDS when i was younger since my family couldn't get any tv channels. most of them were disney movies. i think my dad gave them all away to charity. i wasn't really against it considering that we no longer own a cassette player and my siblings kinda outgrew all the movies we had, so there was really no point in causing clutter.

i don't mind but i kinda wish we kept the orange rugrats tape. it's not like it's a collectors item or anything but i just really thought it looked cool as a kid.

I am not really sure what happend to them. We had tons of VHS. Probably in the trash lol it's sad really.

My family never threw them out. We still have a few VHS tapes and a VCR on hand to play them with.

We still have nearly all of the ones we've bought (and that's quite a few!), minus a couple that our older faulty VCRs decided to eat. We still have a couple of functioning VCRs, but it's been a few years since we last used them. I think the last one we watched was The Emperor's New Groove.

I’m in the age range where I grew up watching both VHS and DVD as a kid, but we sold them in bulk to someone who collected them maybe about 10 years ago now? We had nostalgia for a bunch of them but we just didn’t really use them much anymore and needed to get rid of some stuff.

I may either still have my old VHS tapes, or they got thrown out. If I still have them, they'd be in storage, and I don't know if they still work or not.

Back