• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What colour is Punchy?

What colour is Punchy?

• Black & White

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Grey & White

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Navy & White

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Other... explain!

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

eeveelovee

🔮 Pokémon Master 🔮
Bells
Island
Ashlar
Yellow Balloon
Pink Balloon
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Crystal Tree
So, this entire time, I have been believing Punchy to be GREY and white. However... after a while of having him on my island.. he is looking blueish to me.. specifically navy. I looked up his official description, and it says he is a BLACK and white cat. I don't think he's black, I think he's a dark grey, but, with New Horizons.. I believe they made him navy? Here's the difference between him in New Leaf vs New Horizons:

What do you think? Black, Grey, or Navy?

I've only played New Horizons and Pocket Camp, so based on him in New Horizons, I've always believed him to be blue and cream coloured, so I voted for navy and white, since that's basically where my thinking was! 😊

I was going to say black/white without question, but seeing his New Leaf render and his New Horizons render side-by-side, he definitely looks more navy than black in New Horizons!

I’m still going to say black/white since that’s what he’s always looked like to me, but it’s definitely possible that Nintendo tweaked his design so that he’s more navy now for whatever reason. I looked up some screenshots and vids of him in-game in New Horizons, and it seems like lighting plays a part in it as well. When he’s in a brightly lit area, like inside his house or outside on a sunny day, he looks more navy in the spots where the light hits him. But when he’s in darker areas, he looks black. Any spots on him where light isn’t hitting him also look black.

So, I think different lighting plays a part in how dark/light the black/navy parts of his design look, but he’s a black/white cat.

I voted black and white! He's always been purple toned to me but still black! Kind of like how in anime there are characters with black hair but they're more blue, purple, green, pink or brown toned :^P
I think New Horizons made a lot of character's colors a lot more..... saturated and brighter than the old games..! (i.e. Biff) So it's hard to say what their actual colors are , in my opinion anyways!

These are tricky for me because I'm colorblind LOL but I think he's black and white, mostly because I know a lot of things use blues/purples for black rather than using pure black
But they've also slightly changed some designs, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit different now!

I always thought he was black and white. So that’s what I went with. I agree with @Xara that in the one picture he looks more navy then black.

I honestly think he's more black & white than navy & cream. As NH uses HD graphics that blow away all the other games by a country mile, I can see why some would view Punchy as being navy & cream. It's like viewing certain villagers' pupils and identifying different colors even though they've always been black. I guess some of us (including me) have incredibly sharp eyes.

Completely unrelated, but I notice that Pocket Camp appears to be the only game where Punchy has a noticeable chin. In my opinion, it makes him appear chubbier than he really is, and sort of takes away his cuteness to me. He went back to being chinless in NH, and now he looks cute again. I really don't know why that was the first thing I noticed when I met Punchy on Pocket Camp.

In New Horizons he is navy and white/cream! If you say he's black in NH I'm taking personal offense. Surely you would be one of the people who would say that my hair is black, even though it's CLEARLY a very dark brown. The problem is, that 95% of people would say that my hair is black, but they are just flat out WRONG! The same way, Punchy in New Horizons (specifically) is blue and not black!

People, you need to LEARN WHAT BLACK IS! Black is the absence of light and hues! Only black is black!!!

This topic is driving me crazy! :ROFLMAO:

To me he is a dark bluish-grey. The left picture is clearly black but in New Horizons I don't think Punchy is.

I've never had him as a resident in any of my games, so I always just saw him as black & white based on the pictures online. Only coming across this thread now do I see that they changed the black of his color scheme in this game such that it's more of a navy blue. I'd assume they'll probably stick with this new coloration moving forward, so my answer would be Navy & (Off-)White.

Punchy_PG.png

Well, I guess in his original gamecube form, his fur looks black. His ACNL looks black but I think the material they're using on his 3D model looks like a blinn or a phong (3D artist terms) and it basically has reflectivity, hence why it looks like dark grey.

On his NH 3D model, it looks like they made it navy because it probably fits the current render style in that game.

Punchy looks off black (is that a thing? faded black is probably a better word, maybe?) and white in the new leaf photo to me. In the new horizons version he looks navy and cream. I never actually seen punchy in any of my animal crossing games, so I never really paid him any mind. I always thought he was some sort of dark purple, like Luna from sailor moon. She’s like a black purple, but I just looked him up and he is definitely black and white according to his amiibo card, his eyelids is some sort of shade of blue though so maybe that’s why he gets confused for navy? I voted for black and white in the poll though since I now know he’s clearly black and white.

imo he's definitely supposed to give the impression a black and white cat, but if you want to get technical he's dark blue-grey and off-white. with so many characters you have to make them all distinct, and we already have roscoe, muffy, agnes, nan, and more being the blackest blacks. kiki and cole are definitely supposed to be black characters as well, but if you look closely kiki has blue/purple hues added to her and cole has red/browns. video games and other visual art have to take into account lighting and mood, so it's not unusual for them to add some blue/yellow hues to a character meant to be perceived as black and/or white. it also wouldn't surprise me if they softened up both the black and white on punchy a little just to give him a friendlier feeling because he's so beloved.

People, you need to LEARN WHAT BLACK IS! Black is the absence of light and hues! Only black is black!!!

This topic is driving me crazy! :ROFLMAO:
if i could be bothered enough to show you the tens of different blacks that my black t-shirts are i would

Back