• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are your favorite non-Nintendo franchises?

Psydye

music junkie, bookworm and Metroid fanboy
Bells
Switch
7007-0018-0241
Spring Sakura
Orange Heart Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Red Bunny Balloon
Sweet Heart Balloon
Pink Balloon
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
For me, it would be...

Castlevania - Especially the Metroid-like ones!
Sonic - More the sidescrollers than the 3D ones though...there are some good 3D ones but they seem to be few and far between.
Crash Bandicoot
Resident Evil
Silent Hill - Just the first 3 games though...and MAYBE Origins.
Final Fantasy - At least up to and including IX. I'm not familiar w/ much X-onwards.

...that's all I can think of for now! I'll edit this list as I remember more.

Last edited:
Sly Cooper would be a big one. Not just because of gameplay, but also because of its story. inFAMOUS is also pretty good, despite being more mature than Sly Cooper.

Although I like A Hat in Time, it hasn’t made enough games for me to declare it a franchise.

Okay, this is going to be embarrassing.
...Undertale/Deltarune

I'm trying to think of more but they only have one game so far, so I'm unsure if they count... Like Bug Fables and A Hat in Time.

Oh! I can't forget Yo-Kai Watch. ...Unless only releasing on Nintendo consoles counts, but I know it's not developed by Nintendo.

There are plenty of non-Nintendo standalone games that I love, but the only non-Nintendo franchise that I’m really into is The Last of Us. I’m usually not interested in action/adventure games, but TLOU is definitely an exception!

I’m absolutely feral for the “grumpy old man/feral adopted daughter” trope, and Joel and Ellie’s story is genuinely one of the most soul-crushingly beautiful relationships I’ve ever seen in my life.
IMG_6165.png
Dangerous, violent, gruff grumpy old man who lost his daughter 20 years before meets this feral 14-year-old girl who has never had anyone love her and look out for her and suddenly he’s a dad again and she has a dad who loves her unconditionally and looks out for her for the first time!!!!!? I have to pretend TLOU II doesn’t exist for my mental health, but god I love them. They are everything to me

I also like the The Sims games, but I haven’t played any of them in eons. 😅

There are quite a few that come to mind but I think the ones that I keep coming back to are Final Fantasy and Ace Attorney. Albeit that for Final Fantasy, I primarily enjoy the first ten of the numbered games and for Ace Attorney, only the first three. It's not that I don't enjoy later entries but I rarely find myself nearly as excited for them, and in the case of the former, they are scarcely the same genre of games anymore, so the things I like about the games aren't really present anymore.

Last edited:
Fallout was a gateway into video games for me. Umm...let's see what else: Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, Skate/Tony Hawk, (generally a bit of a sports game fanatic, I find them relaxing and mind numbing to play), Life is Strange, Monkey Island 1-3, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Persona.

Agreeing with @Xara on Last of Us, but since I'm playing it now I wouldn't list it above for recency bias.

Sonic for sure. The newer Sonic games have sadly been questionable but Adventure 2 and Heroes will always be in my heart, despite the bad controls lol. We need a chao garden spinoff game!!

Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons is another series that I love. Some great times trying to make characters fall in love with me lol.

i really like the final fantasy and persona franchises! i've enjoyed many final fantasy games (with ff10 being my favorite and ff7 remake close behind) over the years and i'm personally really looking forward to ff7 rebirth to release on pc since no way am i spending hundred for a ps5 lol. persona 5 is one of my favorite games ever and i recently finished person 3 reload which i also loved!!

i used to love the sims franchise but with the way things are going for sims 4 and possibly their new online sims 5, i don't think i can say i love the sims anymore. it's quite sad to see how it has devolved into such a cash grab with all the expansion and dlcs offering little content and mostly buggy gameplay :c

My favourite non Nintendo franchise would be Grand Theft Auto. I have spent nearly 10 years playing the game and I love it so much.

Definitely Mass Effect for me. I'm not a huge fan of Andromeda, but the trilogy is one of, if not my favourite game(s) of all time.

My other notable mentions are dragon age and fallout. I'm sure there are others too but those come to mind first.

Based on what I’ve played and enjoyed:

—Castlevania
—Monkey Balls
—Sonic
—Pac-Man
—Crash Bandicoot
—Scribblenauts
—Cooking Mama

There are a few really good ones:

Persona
Final Fantasy (only up to X and XIV)
Story of seasons (former Harvest moon)
Suikoden
Dragon Age
Mass effect
Souls games
Uncharted
Tales of games

I am sure I am missing something tho!

The ones that immediately come to mind for me are:
  • Tales of series! shout out to symphonia, abyss, and vesperia especially
  • Story of Seasons, too -- but i sort of just like farming games in general.
  • Professor Layton
  • Little Nightmares
and then on the... sort of debatable if i can count these:
  • if puyo tetris counts as a series, then puyo tetris. Generally I just like tetris and I like puyo. 💦
  • since it's getting a sequel, ender lilies! I like the aesthetic of the games as a whole. this counts as a series to me.
  • .hack even though I never finished the games, i'll still buy them. i love the .hack series as a whole

final fantasy (definitely my favorite of all time, even including nintendo titles), persona, silent hill, resident evil, souls games and kingdom hearts!

I like PaRappa the Rapper and Taiko no Tatsujin. Cooking Mama is fun too. So is Tetris and those Lego games by TT. Does Club Penguin count? I also used to play Sumikko Gurashi games on my hacked N2DS...and that's all I can think of from the top of my head.

I’m a pretty big fan of a lot of non-Nintendo games, but I don’t think they qualify as a series (like, Cuphead or Hollow Knight, since there’s no Cuphead 2 or Hollow Knight 2 yet). If I had to pick one… that would totally be Sonic.

Oops missed the non Nintendo part

Not sure now but I spent hours on Ecco The Dolphin as a kid

My favorites are/were (no particular order):

-Metal Gear Solid - probably a were since some stuff happened between Hideo Kojima & Konami. Konami released some multiplayer game that I didn’t pick up; I think I heard it was pretty bad. So the games I liked were Sons of Liberty to Phantom Pain (including portable ops).

-Final Fantasy: I only played a couple. My favorite is X, XII even though I still need to finish it. I liked XV but never played the dlc and was done playing by the time they added some more to fill up some story gaps (like final boss fight). I’m still pissed how they handled it but still loved a lot about the game and characters. Post game was terrible though. XIII - I loved the story; gameplay was okay. I also liked the War of the Lions; I played it on the psp. VIII is another favorite.

-Persona 5/Royal: I’d say Persona but Persona 5/Royal is the only one I played. Still have to finish P5 Strikers too.

-Dragon Age: Was a favorite but a lot of their lead writers quit and I don’t like the direction the game has been taking. I liked all three; DAII took some time to like and chatting with other fans but now I appreciate the story more. Dragon Age Origins & Awakening is my favorite. I liked Inquisition (still need to finish DLC) but I got too burnt out from farming materials. It could have honestly been much better.

-The Sims - Sims 3: I wasted so many hours playing all of these and will again when I get a new computer 😌. Never tried the fourth one since I don’t like how the Sims look.

-Assassin’s Creed - I liked Assassins Creed to Brotherhood. Revelations I didn’t care for much; never got past a certain point in ACIII so I don’t know if I like it or Black Flag.

Back