• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What draws you to your favorite collectibles?

First impressions definitely play a huge role for me. I'm drawn to what looks the most pleasing in my eyes and what I instinctively resonate with the most, based on my own likes. I actually prefer lighter backgrounds the most, such as the backgrounds used for eggs, feathers and flowers. The blue sky background
1691419995649.png
and the garden background
1691420024398.png
are especially nice.

Naturally I tend to gravitate towards collectibles with a color scheme I really like, such as pink & green, but the most important thing to me is the kind of story I can create when arranging collectibles in a lineup. I don't want to just slap whatever together all willy nilly for the sake of looking pretty lol I want there to be a deeper reason why my lineups look the way they do, whether it's to represent a video game franchise or character I love or just something that says, "me" 🥰

It feels more personal and meaningful to me after going through the hard work (and luck heehee) of getting collectibles in the first place, especially the rarer ones. I strive on making my lineups as unique as possible. Having one-of-a-kind dates is a definite plus.

Given my current username of Halloqueen, it will come as no surprise whatsoever to anyone that some of my favorite collectibles relate to Halloween and the season of Autumn. Jack and Gourdy being jack-o-lantern pumpkins is fantastic and I hope we get more jack-o-lanterns in the future since there are plenty to choose from: the red, purple, and yellow pumpkin heads from New Leaf as well as the different faces like the vampire one from New Horizons. The Pumpkin Wand is the one wand I've kept and I think it's awesome. The candy collectibles are satisfying to collect. The Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin Cupcake tie into my affection for pumpkin baked goods. Lucky is neat too since he's one of my favorite villagers and is also a mummy, and I like the Fancy Kitty Plush since I love black cats.

I love the Ghostly Preserves and Spectral Preserves collectibles we've been getting these past few Halloweens and can't wait to see what new Preserves will be added this year and in the years to come. Such a cool concept and I love the forum event the concept originates from.

The Ancient Candle, Voodoo Dolls, and Pumpkin Cupcakes were my first real loves among the collectibles and what got me into collecting. I thought the red, blue, and yellow candies were neat prior, but these ones were more my speed.

The potions are all cool and, like the candies, are fun to collect all the varieties of. I like them all but my favorite is the Pink Love Potion because, while I don't think I was the only one, I suggested and drew a pink Love Potion that looked quite similar for a Christmas event years ago where people designed collectibles, that event being the source of the Aurora Sky and Snow Bunny we have today. To see it eventually become real as part of the Valentine's Day event really made me happy.

The Easter Eggs are really diverse and cool. I prefer the eggs that have more simplistic designs that you could make at home; things like the Baby Chick Egg, Candy Egg, Chao Egg, Classic Easter Egg, Dark Egg, Ditto Egg, Dragonscale Egg, Easter Egg, Eevee Egg, Poptart Egg, Splat Egg, Sweetheart Egg, Togepi Egg, and Yoshi Egg. This also extends to the simple one color eggs like the Golden Easter Egg and Waluigi Egg.

Naturally, considering the Halloween collectibles I started this post off with and continuing off of the Easter Eggs, I love the Halloweaster Eggs. The Candy Corn Egg is top notch because it ties my love of Halloween, the candies, and my fondness for the Easter Eggs all into one collectible. I love all of the Halloweaster Eggs thus far. While I tend to like the simpler designs for eggs without the extra bits and bobs, I love the Moonlight Egg and the Flick Egg. The Moonlight Egg is my favorite depiction of a moon as far as the collectibles are concerned thus far, while the Flick Egg evokes a demon because of the horns, and it's cool.

Bouncing off the egg topic, I like to bake and so I have a fondness for the various baked good collectibles. Cakes, slices of cake, gingerbread men, slices of pies, the Yule Log. They're a nice way to reflect my baking hobby.

The Candy Canes are a nice way to show participation on the forums over the years and they look nice as well. Always love to see what each year's Candy Cane will look like. Looking forward to getting the full two rows in the next few years.

Birds are my favorite types of animals, so I like the Celeste Chick Plush and Bluebird of Happiness, as well as the previously mentioned Baby Chick Egg and also the Rubber Ducky Plush. I hope we see more birds added in the future!

Finally, I'm a fan of Pokémon so I love the Poké Ball, Love Ball, and Moon Ball collectibles. The Moon Ball is my favorite variety of Ball in the series, so it's awesome to see as a collectible. I hope that we might see more Ball collectibles added in the future as well. Also, while technically a Halloween collectible, I like the Rafflesia because not only is it a cool flower but it also brings to mind the Pokémon Vileplume.

My apologies for the very long post, but I think that conveys what I look for, seek out and like as it pertains to collectibles.

colours and cuteness - especially love pink, blue and purple collectibles and enjoy seeing new egg designs each year plus most plushies attract me cause they’re adorable and I need them irl

cuteness usually gets me mostly but then I go by color and sparkle. I’m also a sucker for anything galaxy or ocean themed so this current camp is honestly so perfect 😭
I also love the flowers, I just don’t have any lineup ideas for them

Ones that look awesome and usually have some sort of deeper meaning to me.

I do gravitate towards yellow/green collectables or usually the cuter themed ones.

Green is my favourite colour with purple close behind so I am attracted to collectibles with those colours. Rainbow collectibles always seem to catch my eye as well of course.

my taste in collectibles is versatile and all over the place just like my taste in pretty much everything else haha, but colour schemes are typically the first thing that draws me to a collectible, followed by the style of the collectible! i have favourite collectibles that are dark and sparkly, colourful and blinding, pastel, light and dark, etc! i’m most drawn to colourful collectibles, sparkly collectibles, halloween collectibles, and pastel collectibles, but my taste definitely isn’t limited to them! i just look at a collectible, and my brain either goes “i love that so much and i need it immediately”, or it doesn’t 😅

i also have a soft spot for collectibles that have to do with things i like! celeste is my favourite animal crossing npc, and the plushies are one of my favourite categories of collectibles, so the celeste chick plush is my absolute beloved (so much so that i got the real life version of it as well ♥️)! i adore axolotls with my whole heart, and so i need to get my hands on a galaxolotl star frag asap just because it has the word axolotl in it (and also because it’s gorgeous!).

If it’s cute, pastel, and/or sparkly, I’m going to want it. It turns out that’s a pretty common opinion in the collectible market, so that makes it kind of hard to get the ones I want without trading something valuable in return. I don’t really know why I started collecting Easter Eggs in particular, but going for a whole set of something tends to make me more attached to said things. That being said, I tend to gravitate towards collectibles with a general blue, purple, or pink color scheme so that’s a factor as well.

Bi color schemes, some level of ethereal to them, wether they match with my most fav collectibles or I could feasibly build a lineup including them, and the object itself has to be cool. For example I think the eggs look really nice, and I think it was a cool concept for easter but tbh I don’t really care about them because they’re just eggs and eggs aren’t that cool. Most of the wands aren’t really cool to me for the same reason. SS Dolphin doesn’t have the bi color scheme but its the rest of the criteria somewhat well- background means it can fit better than it would otherwise and the concept itself is cool. Potions and star fragments are extremely cool.

Last edited:
Color scheme is important to me. I like deep blues, purples, and white mostly. Greens are nice too.

The background of the collectible matters. I prefer dark backgrounds, especially the night sky. While there are eggs that I love, I found that being on the pale yellow background meant that I rarely used them. They looked out of place with the rest of my favorite collectibles.

Finally, the object itself. If it's something I like, I'm going to be drawn to it. This includes feathers, stars and moons, mushrooms, butterflies, and the list could go on.
I'm hoping one day the background on eggs will change to the dark green found on the rafflesia since eggs are often found on grass in irl egg hunts. The chick egg blends in too much on the background sadly.

I’m not as crazy as a collector as a lot of people here, and when I think about collectibles I like, I can’t really think of what I like. I guess if they just look cool?

Me personally, I usually go after the ones that are expensive wherever I have to spend the currency on, and I stayed true to that.
But when it comes to eggs, I always go after the ones that bring that pop to my eyes the most!

This might possibly mean why I don't have many collectibles to work with lineups on.

They're red.

A more serious answer is generally just whether or not I vibe with them. I gravitate more towards red collectibles since red's my favorite color, but I've enjoyed collectibles that aren't predominantly red (mainly plushies). Some of my favorite collectibles are ones I've won, not purely because of their design but because of what it took to get them as well (i.e. Galaxy Swirl, Golden Easter Egg). Plus with something like the S.S. Dolphin, it's one of my favorites since I loved Olimar's ship in Pikmin, so there's those factors that could come into play as well.

I usually go for color schemes, since I tend to gravitate to blue and purple collectibles because those are my favorite colors. I also like having collectibles from the same series; I have most of the tradeable candy collectibles, and I have a decent amount of plushes to almost make a full lineup.

As far as aesthetics go, I don't have much of a preference. But basically, if I can make a lineup with my favorite colors, or if I have a bunch of collectibles from a set, I'm happy.

Anything pastel, anything moon/star themed, anything pink, anything that can be used to make a colorful rainbow lineup - that’s basically what gets me. Lol

Back